Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,037,355 times

Advertisements

It's not a matter of accuracy -- it's a matter of facts. It is a fact that when a stormfront is moving into an area, there's an increased chance of rain, since it's an established fact that rain comes from certain clouds. On the other hand, there is no basis to establish as fact that, for example, somebody born with the sun in Libra is more balanced or whatever than somebody who is not. I have never seen a scientific study to corroborate such assertions. Also, the outer gas giants were never included in past astrology since they were invisible until Lippershey invented the refracting telescope. Furthermore, the IAU has established that Pluto is no longer a planet, so then what? Or, even if we call Pluto a planet, what of other bodies in the Kuiper belt such as Eres and their potential effect on what Libras or whomever are doing today? Does astrology get more accurate or less every time we find a new celestial body? And what about binary stars -- since they rotate about their barrycenter how do changes in their positions affect what astrologers read from the stars?

Old 03-12-2008, 07:59 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,928,950 times
Rrince Of Lombards wrote:
It's not a matter of accuracy -- it's a matter of facts.
Obviously our minds work differently. Whereas you value facts, I place more emphasis on accurracy no matter the method applied.

Prince also wrote::
I have never seen a scientific study to corroborate such assertions.
You probably never will! What works, works even if science lacks the methodology to understand how or why it works. Astrology has been practiced far longer than science. Science seems to forget that it is the new kid on the block compared to many of the older methodologies it attemps ( but often fails ) to understand.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:02 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,045,902 times
Actually several scientists, with proper bonafides, have studied the relevance or irrelevance of astrology. Interesting results!

You might want to check out some of their studies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
I don't have any personal experience with jumping off cliffs, but I know not to do it. I also know that when you capriciously draw lines to connect stars, then declare that since you can create a vague shape by doing so, whoever is born when the sun is close to that shape takes on the attributes of the shape (a "Libra" is balanced, etc.), you aren't doing anything based on factual data, which in turn yields no useful results.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:20 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Obviously our minds work differently. Whereas you value facts, I place more emphasis on accurracy no matter the method applied.
You twisted what I stated into a strawman. When we understand why something is correct, we then make more accurate predictions understanding what is factually correct (extrapolation).

Quote:
You probably never will! What works, works even if science lacks the methodology to understand how or why it works. Astrology has been practiced far longer than science. Science seems to forget that it is the new kid on the block compared to many of the older methodologies it attemps ( but often fails ) to understand.
But how do you know it works? When something is correct when doing whatever it is astrologers do with their charts and such, how can you differentiate between what is correct because of astrology and what is just luck or general enough for people to form-fit their data to the hypothesis?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Actually several scientists, with proper bonafides, have studied the relevance or irrelevance of astrology. Interesting results!

You might want to check out some of their studies.
Well then, when will these people claim the million dollar prize from JREF?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,045,902 times
Actually these scientists are members of a rather prestigious French institute and might not qualify for the randi.org.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
Well then, when will these people claim the million dollar prize from JREF?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:14 AM

Well perhaps they can answer some of the questions I submitted in my previous posts, regarding the Earth's precession and all that.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:38 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,928,950 times
Prince

I think astrology works in a way that simply doesn't appeal to your mind. Seems like it is not your cup of tea so to speak.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Prince

I think astrology works in a way that simply doesn't appeal to your mind. Seems like it is not your cup of tea so to speak.
No, I think astrology doesn't work, which is why people conduct studies such as these:

YouTube - James Randi on Astrology

Here's another good one:

YouTube - James Randi and an Astrologer

Old 03-13-2008, 11:19 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,016,190 times
Even science is just a study of theories...very little is actually proven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal