Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:08 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
What does that mean?
That both bulls (Taurus) and rams (Aries) have horns, and are obstinate creatures. Her way of being cutsey.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:18 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,770 times
That kind of always gave me the creeps to tell you the truth. I watched that Penn and Teller thing about Astrology, at least now I am not terribly afraid of it after seeing what all they said about it.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:49 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,557,495 times
Once bogus, always bogus.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
malfunction wrote:
Once bogus, always bogus.
Ain't it the truth!

This guy was a bogus cowboy and also a bogus president. But he and his wife appreciated the value of astrology nonetheless.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:01 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Exitus Acta Probat wrote:
There is not one shred of scientific evidence to support astrology.
In addition to that, there is not one bit of scientific evidence to prove that science is the last word on anything. In my mind, the inabiltiy of science to measure astrological influences points out a glaring limitation of science. Perhaps one day science will develop to the point where it will be able to measure astrological influences...but I'm not holding my breath

LinaJo76 wrote:
I don't totally believe in astrology, but there are some aspects of it that I do believe in.
Actually I don't believe in astrology at all. I have come to know what parts of astrology work for me and what parts do not.
So now the onus is on science to prove astrology is bogus? You may as well argue that there are pink elephants on the moons of Jupiter as a matter of fact since it cannot be disproven.

Science has clearly shown that astrology is illegitimate in its claims. Astrology provides general advice that can fit a broad range of people, and anytime it does not, it's stated that astrology is not exact. How convenient.

I do feel bad for all the millions of people who have had money taken by them as a result of this scam, and really do hope all astrologers are arrested on charges of criminal fraud.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:30 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
I used to read the horoscopes, still do occasionally, then I worked with a spiritual astrologer and found some things to be right on.
Lately, when I read my horoscopes, they're right on.

Hoax or facts?
I believe that there are certain personality traits that are consistent with certain signs of the zodiac. Although personal circumstances do affect these traits, in the main, they are fairly accurate to a degree.

On the other hand, I do not believe that anyone can predict the future. The future is a constantly changing, liquid state that is altered moment by moment. To be able to predict it would be virtually impossible, especially in any details.

I do believe, however, that astrology has some merit. It has been around since BEFORE many modern religions. If it had no basis in fact, it would have disappeared a long time ago.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-09-2009, 08:50 AM

So now the onus is on science to prove astrology is bogus?
The onus is is no one or no thing to prove the validity of astrology. Those who choose to use it will use it with or without scientific proof. Those who choose to consider it bogus will do so. My own experience has already given me the proof I need.

20YrsinBranson wrote:
I do not believe that anyone can predict the future.
I agree with you there, though lots of people attempt to do it anyway ( not very accurrately I might add ), especially in regard to the economy. I've made statements similar to yous many time on the economic doom and gloomer type threads pervading the city-data forums. There's quite a concentration of doom and gloomer types who think they got it all pinned down, and they continue to miss the mark by a very wide mile. I suspect that some of them may be playing around with astrology. If they are, they have a very flawed understanding of astrology. My theory in regard to predicting the future with or without astrology is simply...Que sera sera!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 08-09-2009 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-09-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
So now the onus is on science to prove astrology is bogus?
The onus is is no one or no thing to prove the validity of astrology. Those who choose to use it will use it with or without scientific proof. Those who choose to consider it bogus will do so. My own experience has already given me the proof I need.
What exactly did you prove? Can you provide details, along with what exactly you used as a control group?

Old 08-09-2009, 06:21 PM

I have no need for a control group when using astrology in my personal life. I'm not out to prove anything. I'm simply saying there are certain parts of astrology that 'work' quite well for me. What is there to prove anyway? A person is either willing to experiment with astrology or they are not. In their experimentation they will either discover that astrology doesn't 'work' for them or that it does indeed 'work' for them. Someone who has done no experimentation has no way of knowing wether or not astrology will 'work' for them. All they can do is to take it on hearsay either for or against without really KNOWING anything about it. That type of approach is merely a BELIEF either for or against astrology. I'm more interested in knowing then believing.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
What is there to prove anyway?
That it's not a baseless waste of time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal