U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:45 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,427,239 times

Advertisements

The reason I ask is due to a statement off of another thread...

"Woman are like dogs in that they can smell fear a mile away."

I find it fascinating that they can sense fear & desperation. Also, I've experienced many instances where I was on a date with someone & I swear they were reading my thoughts. For example, I was thinking quietly to myself about a recent vacation to Hawaii & right as I was thinking that the girl just blurted out "Oh I've been to Hawaii too, it's great!" I had never told this particular girl about any of my travels. It creeps me out a bit when things like that happen & I just wonder if many women have psychic abilities or are able to read your thoughts. Would some guys be better off wearing a tin foil hat on dates? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 12:47 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,284,707 times
Dude, even a guy can see a desperate guy from across the bar.

A few months ago I was sitting on a roof top bar with some friends in Dallas, Deep Elum. Anyway, a concert was across the street, and right there in the middle was a balding 40 something guy, by himself, in a button up teacher shirt and khaki pants. He was completely out of place, and you could see he felt it from two blocks away.

Its not psychic ability, although I believe many people of both sexes posses some of that, its just human to read another humans face.

Women like confidence, they aren't noticing anything you're not, they just pay more attention to it when it comes to men.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 PM

32,605 posts, read 22,577,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
A few months ago I was sitting on a roof top bar with some friends in Dallas, Deep Elum. Anyway, a concert was across the street, and right there in the middle was a balding 40 something guy, by himself, in a button up teacher shirt and khaki pants. He was completely out of place, and you could see he felt it from two blocks away.

I wasn't in Dallas last month, and those were flat fronted dress pants, not khakis.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 PM

3,406 posts, read 2,884,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Do a good number of women possess psychic abilities? The reason I ask is due to a statement off of another thread...

Dude, seriously?

This is weighing so heavily on your mind that you felt the need to start a thread on it? Do YOU believe that women have psychic abilities "...like dogs in that they can smell fear a mile away"? Seriously, do you believe that?

Old 08-14-2014, 12:54 PM

5,121 posts, read 5,276,105 times
There have been studies that show that women are more in tune to other people's emotions and can relate to others feelings better. What you are thinking of as psychic is really just empathy. But really, it's just a slight edge over men. For what it's worth, men have an edge over women when it comes to managing distressing emotions. But it's only a slight edge that each sex has over the other... as a whole. On an individual level it's all open of course.

Are Women More Emotionally Intelligent Than Men? | Psychology Today

Quote:

Here's where women differ form men. If the other person is upset, or the emotions are disturbing, women's brains tend to stay with those feelings. But men's brains do something else: they sense the feelings for a moment, then tune out of the emotions and switch to other brain areas that try to solve the problem that's creating the disturbance.

Thus women's complaint that men are tuned out emotionally, and men's that women are too emotional - it's a brain difference.

Neither is better - both have advantages. The male tune-out works well when there's a need to insulate yourself against distress so you can stay calm while others around you are falling apart - and focus on finding a solution to an urgent problem. And the female tendency to stay tuned in helps enormously to nurture and support others in emotional trying circumstances. It's part of the "tend-and-befriend" response to stress.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:55 PM

72,454 posts, read 63,907,429 times
Quote:
The reason I ask is due to a statement off of another thread...

I find it fascinating that they can sense fear & desperation. Also, I've experienced many instances where I was on a date with someone & I swear they were reading my thoughts. For example, I was thinking quietly to myself about a recent vacation to Hawaii & right as I was thinking that the girl just blurted out "Oh I've been to Hawaii too, it's great!" I had never told this particular girl about any of my travels. It creeps me out a bit when things like that happen & I just wonder if many women have psychic abilities or are able to read your thoughts. Would some guys be better off wearing a tin foil hat on dates? lol
I think some of what we chalk up to "psychic" is the result of information we pick up subconsciously. However, on rare occasion I've experienced what you describe: responding to someone's unspoken thoughts. I was on the receiving end of that once, too, and it was a guy who did it. I think we all have some measure of "psychic" ability, but since our culture doesn't reward that or believe in it, we don't cultivate it, and we try to deny its existence. I think it's just a normal part of human existence, though. Science just hasn't quite gotten to the point of explaining it, but its getting closer.

If you want to discuss this in more detail, you should move this thread to the "Paranormal Phenomena" forum.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I wasn't in Dallas last month, and those were flat fronted dress pants, not khakis.
Hey, I'm 35 and balding and go to Bonnaroo every year. Your age and how you dress doesn't make you uncomfortable, its your attitude. I just don't give to much of a crap what other people, especially those I don't know, think about me. I'm going to have a good time, and that usually means other people looking for a good time find me

Old 08-14-2014, 12:57 PM

32,605 posts, read 22,577,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Hey, I'm 35 and balding and go to Bonnaroo every year. Your age and how you dress doesn't make you uncomfortable, its your attitude. I just don't give to much of a crap what other people, especially those I don't know, think about me. I'm going to have a good time, and that usually means other people looking for a good time find me

I hear yeah. I've been bald since 22 and never stylish. Never let it get to me. Never hurt me too badly, except with the types I wouldn't want to party with anyway.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:04 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,427,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Dude, seriously?

This is weighing so heavily on your mind that you felt the need to start a thread on it? Do YOU believe that women have psychic abilities "...like dogs in that they can smell fear a mile away"? Seriously, do you believe that?
OK, I'll give another example. I was once on a date with someone in the city I used to live in. We were walking to this lounge late one night & on the way I thought I'd take a shortcut through this park to get there just a little bit faster. I went to cut through & she grabbed me pretty hard & said "Never go in there at night, there are bad spirits in there & I can see them staring us down in the distance." I looked over and of course saw nothing. I turned & we just walked around the outside of this park. The next day I did some searching around on the internet & found there were a lot of reports of people being followed or even attacked by something they couldn't see. Union soldiers executed confederate prisoners of war in that park during the Civil War, and then in the 1890's a tornado ripped through it & killed some people, so I could see that place maybe being haunted.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
OK, I'll give another example. I was once on a date with someone in the city I used to live in. We were walking to this lounge late one night & on the way I thought I'd take a shortcut through this park to get there just a little bit faster. I went to cut through & she grabbed me pretty hard & said "Never go in there at night, there are bad spirits in there & I can see them staring us down in the distance." I looked over and of course saw nothing. I turned & we just walked around the outside of this park. The next day I did some searching around on the internet & found there were a lot of reports of people being followed or even attacked by something they couldn't see. Union soldiers executed confederate prisoners of war in that park during the Civil War, and then in the 1890's a tornado ripped through it & killed some people, so I could see that place maybe being haunted.
I've seen ghosts and continue to see ghosts. So does my mother and younger sister.

That has nothing to do with the sex of the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal