Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in UFO's?
Yes 102 76.69%
No 31 23.31%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:47 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
In addition to the Guy With The Hair, the Ancient Aliens show has given us the most ludicrous appeal to authority in broadcast history: "some ancient alien theorists believe ..."
LOL!!! Couldn't rep ya, must spread the love first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Well, let's say that such beings have a civilization 10,000 years old, and a drastically different biology and evolutionary history. Would we be able to fathom their motives unless they sit down and tell us? Even then we wouldn't know if they were lying.

We just can't comprehend something so advanced, any more than a chimpanzee could understand why people have put them into cages, poked prodded and tested in the most outrageous way, shot with tranquilizer guns.

Nor for that matter could Native Americans understand the motives of the Europeans who would trade valuable items like trinkets and firewater, in return for worthless animal skins and gold.

Maybe it's something like our scientific research, or genetic experimentation ....... maybe a combination of inscrutable interests ...... who knows.
Okay, yes, those are good points.

Just in case, you KNOW I'll be watching my anus. (I'm sorry. I don't know why I like to goof around so much at times.)

Old 09-17-2014, 10:17 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Being a Christian I find it ridiculous to think that in our vast universe that we're the ONLY planet out there that contains life or the only intelligent being, or that we haven't been visited from other beings! So I say yes!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:46 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Well, let's say that such beings have a civilization 10,000 years old, and a drastically different biology and evolutionary history. Would we be able to fathom their motives unless they sit down and tell us? Even then we wouldn't know if they were lying.

We just can't comprehend something so advanced, any more than a chimpanzee could understand why people have put them into cages, poked prodded and tested in the most outrageous way, shot with tranquilizer guns.

Nor for that matter could Native Americans understand the motives of the Europeans who would trade valuable items like trinkets and firewater, in return for worthless animal skins and gold.

Maybe it's something like our scientific research, or genetic experimentation ....... maybe a combination of inscrutable interests ...... who knows.
Assuming a technological civilization can last long enough to reach for the stars (a huge if given what we've learned in recent decades about our posiibilities of becoming extinct or returning to a pre-industrial state), curiosity is not likely to be a motive for a highly civilized species to visit primitives like us, nor is mutual learning or altruism. Or genetic experimentation with us; we're on the verge of being able to genetically engineering ourselves, a soecies way beyond us is likely to view the engineering of new species a topic for a teen science fair project. Reason is the enormous investment in resources that would be required. One has to ask: what's the payoff for them? If they're technological, then reasoning and logic are part of their way of relating to the universe because, well, that's how the universe is constructed. Logically, reaching for the stars doesn't make a lot of sense for a civilization unless there's a huge return on investment.

More likely are religious, philosophical, or cultural imperatives. Or if they are interstellar gypsies as Stephen Hawking suggested, to use our system's resources and move on to the next system. If they're looking for a new home for species survival, it would make sense to look for a planet that doesn't have a tech civilization that might resist them.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:07 PM

Well, but again, Vasily...if they were looking to use our resources...wouldn't they have found them by now? Given at least a couple thousand years based on apparent UFOs in Egyptian art and so on?

Old 09-17-2014, 03:56 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, but again, Vasily...if they were looking to use our resources...wouldn't they have found them by now? Given at least a couple thousand years based on apparent UFOs in Egyptian art and so on?
Which leaves the religious, cultural, or philosophical motives. Think of the rather Gnostic religion of the Necromongers in the Riddick movies who see life as a blight on the universe to be elminated where it occurs, so they can be "born again" in the Underverse.

http://riddick.wikia.com/wiki/Necromonger_Empire

Old 09-17-2014, 06:10 PM

381 posts, read 642,814 times
Excellent posts so far. Great thread.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:

No, the indigenous Americans couldn't know the Europeans' motives, and chimps can't understand scientists' motives, but they do understand this: something is actually happening. They may not know "why"...but they sense there IS a purpose...whether it's benign of malicious. I still discern no purpose.

And if it's religious, how do you explain all the probings? That isn't facetious, I am really asking.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Which leaves the religious, cultural, or philosophical motives. Think of the rather Gnostic religion of the Necromongers in the Riddick movies who see life as a blight on the universe to be elminated where it occurs, so they can be "born again" in the Underverse.

Necromonger Empire - Riddick Wiki - The Chronicles of Riddick
Yes. And with this motivation, they do something. They perform a function. They are obviously getting something out of it. They aren't circling life without any actual significant overall contact (whether for good, ill or even just curiosity) for thousands of years. Still these spotty mysterious "I saw something flying" and spotty mysterious "They beamed me up and probed me/they beamed me up and removed my uterus" stories, nothing on anything even approaching a mass scale, ESPECIALLY if it were exploitative (for example, if uteri contained some sort of vital nutrient for them or caused longevity in their species or whatever)? Why the spottiness and secrecy, what, they're afraid we'd wage war on them? People are fond of making the comparison that to them, we'd be chimps. It's for shoot sure they'd have the technology to just blow us the heck up if we became a problem. Exploitation on a mass scale would have begun without fear or with only minimal fear LONG ago.

Life forms with as advanced technology as people are proposing would have ZERO reason to hide, be shady, act spottily, zig in and out furtively and obviously hiding themselves. They'd out themselves without a second thought to it, they'd have nothing to fear from us and they'd have their resources, or they'd have their religious action, whatever it was, or they'd have their curiosity satisfied directly, in an ongoing way without interruption and so on.

And let's face it, over the course of thousands of years the methods would be changing. They too would be advancing over a thousand years, probably significantly, if our exponential-since-technology experience is any indication, so the same old same old of circling and circling and circling would surely change. Even these advanced aliens would be learning something and making changes. But the stories remain basically the same.

Think about the world just 300 years ago. Human beings literally wouldn't recognize the world today. They'd be looking at commercial planes, cars, computers, bizarre clothing and even a few physical changes. They'd look at tarmac roads with lines painted on them and get a brain-pain trying to even visually digest them, much less understand them (without someone there to explain). And spacecraft? Their heads would probably explode. How about modern-day weaponry? Yet here we're talking about literally thousands of years...from a species starting so much "higher" than we are intellectually and technologically that apparently we can't even comprehend it. How much seriously, drastically different should practically everything this alien species does and everything that they wear, fly in, and so on be? Probably more than even they in a contemporary way could comprehend. Surely not the same old hovercraft hovering at the same old speeds with the little guys wearing the same old suits and using the same old "light but indestructible" "steel-like" panels for their craft. Their world today should be virtually unrecognizable both to them a few hundred or a thousand years ago, and to us a few hundred or a thousand years ago, Perhaps even incomprehensible. It shouldn't even begin to touch, in a parallel way, reports of 1000, 500, hell, even 50 years ago, when you consider the exponential speed of a species having discovered technology and the laws of physics.

Yet forward mentally in our own technology between now and 2114 and you'll see what I mean. For a species that started out, thousands of years ago or to be conservative, even just 500 or 600 years ago more technologically than even today humans can comprehend, hell, they shouldn't even need hovering spacecraft. How about teleportation or a more realistic equivalent? Would they even, bodily, have to visit at all? How about sending robots? For goodness' sake, we do that today.

Even over the past, say, 60 years advances should be being made and within that span of time when we have modern-day, so to speak, accounts they should have learned something; if a very advanced species, they should have learned a lot, perhaps more than we can comprehend, and be working on whatever their mission is, be it religious, resource-exploitative or whatever. Yet we're still hearing basically the same stories and seeing basically the same hovering sets of lights, in their array of versions which is basically the array people were describing back in the 70s, still with apparently not real contact, taking-over or what-have-you.

Do you see where I'm coming from? I can accept that there could be a motive that we don't understand. However, since obviously nothing is being done - except, according to eyewitnesses, a lot of very, very, very repetitive human and cattle body exploration - it still isn't making sense especially for an extraordinarily advanced species.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-17-2014 at 07:23 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 07:29 PM

Also, how about physical, bodily changes? Why would these beings look closely like - heck, anything like they did a thousand years ago? Or even 500 years ago? Or 100? They wouldn't optimized themselves physically - dimensions, their eyes...hair or lack of it...what their mouths do, how big their mouths are, if they even have or need them...height, overall mass...different length arms or legs...skin color, the list could go on, with technology that we're told to believe even the greatest minds of today couldn't hope to begin to unravel even a piece of? Why would they even use the same form of locomotion? Is walking really optimal for efficiency?

Heck...we humans toying with genetics today...already...at our comparatively "chimp-like" technological level. Where do you think that will be in a hundred years? 500 years? Even starting out at a technological level almost incomprehensibly lower than this species would have already been hundreds of years ago?

Do you really think these over-the-top advanced individuals would just hang out being basically the same when even we, in our technological infancy, can't leave genetics, longevity and medically-altered and advanced health alone? Even when it doesn't medically or socially benefit us, we still can't resist the pull of technology. And any species that has managed to become advanced enough to get to or planet from as far off as most propose would never advance without that deep inner drive either. So in that case we'd never have had a chance to see them at all anyway.

I know I sound like a naysayer and that I'm just trying to convince people that they're wrong. I'm not - and I could be wrong. But these are the questions that always come to mind when I hear these stories. I can't seem to stop that from happening any more than anyone can resist curiosity from occurring. That, I believe, is very human.

And...I'm sorry my posts are so long. I tend to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal