U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 07:40 PM

8,845 posts, read 9,672,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
There WILL be any number of different reasons for disappearances, BUT if there are ANY which are due to dogman or any other cryptid, then that phenomena needs to be investigated propoerly. It is the total dismissal which does not make sense and I feel is a shutdown of the topic.

There are a number of people on this forum who do not appear to take witness reports seriously. I suggest that if our legal systems takes witness reports seriously, then we should take it seriously too. Sometimes people will be mistaken, sometimes people will make things up, but probably the majority will be describing what they thought they have experienced. It is not respectful to approach all these kind of witnesses from a place of disbelief which is what some of us are doing. These witnesses are just as likely to be our family and friends, you and I both know we place more weight on reports from people we know and respect, but just because we do not know other witnesses does not mean they are always telling lies for their own selfish reasons.

Writing a book about something is a lot of effort and hard work. It often requires many hours of investigation and is not something trivial. Obscure books are only obscure because they may be not well known or not many have been published or they may be rare.

It does NOT mean there is anything wrong with the contents of these books.
You are correct, but failure to provide any documentation in any incident means that there's plenty wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 07:40 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,819,178 times
Quote:
You are correct, but failure to provide any documentation in any incident means that there's plenty wrong.
It is obvious that there will also be some good books where the author has investigated properly and there will also be some bad books where the author has just written a summary of what others have said and not done their own research. I think you can generally tell which is the case.

There are also interviews on the various chat radio shows, Midnight in the Desert, Coast to Coast, etc and these also give some indication whether the author is passionate about the subject they write about. Often the documentation is collected by the authors themselves, but if you are expecting a reference section in the back like a scientific paper, then you may well be disappointed.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
It is obvious that there will also be some good books where the author has investigated properly and there will also be some bad books where the author has just written a summary of what others have said and not done their own research. I think you can generally tell which is the case.

There are also interviews on the various chat radio shows, Midnight in the Desert, Coast to Coast, etc and these also give some indication whether the author is passionate about the subject they write about. Often the documentation is collected by the authors themselves, but if you are expecting a reference section in the back like a scientific paper, then you may well be disappointed.
I expect just that from everything. If the author can't provide that, the author should say that it's undetermined. That's what serious scholars have done for over two millennia.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I expect just that from everything. If the author can't provide that, the author should say that it's undetermined. That's what serious scholars have done for over two millennia.
Another person searching for "proof: so they can feel safe to believe. No-one cares if you believe it or not.

I think you will find that many investigators are not scientists but people who have had some kind of personal experience which affected them profoundly. There are scientists who write books on the paranormal, and these are the ones you should obviously seek out because they are the ones who will be more likely to give you what you need.

I still think you are going to be disappointed though when looking at this kind of paranormal subject because it cannot be treated as if it is a science subject - at least it is not at the moment anyway.

How does anyone give evidence of lizard people, reptilian aliens, or any other kind of aliens. You either think the evidence is enough or you dont. It is a belief. If you and others keep on asking for evidence and references etc then you obviously have not thought about the topic very deeply because this kind of 'proof' is not forthcoming.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Another person searching for "proof: so they can feel safe to believe. No-one cares if you believe it or not.

I think you will find that many investigators are not scientists but people who have had some kind of personal experience which affected them profoundly. There are scientists who write books on the paranormal, and these are the ones you should obviously seek out because they are the ones who will be more likely to give you what you need.

I still think you are going to be disappointed though when looking at this kind of paranormal subject because it cannot be treated as if it is a science subject - at least it is not at the moment anyway.

How does anyone give evidence of lizard people, reptilian aliens, or any other kind of aliens. You either think the evidence is enough or you dont. It is a belief. If you and others keep on asking for evidence and references etc then you obviously have not thought about the topic very deeply because this kind of 'proof' is not forthcoming.
Why should I accept unsupported statements? History is full of stories of once unproven hypotheses that have been proved or disproved by various sorts of clear evidence. This often requires patience.

You can only damage your case when you equate real evidence with unsupported claims. A hoax will always be suspected. We can look at the case of Piltdown Man as an exemplar. There were no scientific test at the time of the "discovery" to support or refute the claim which was later shown to be fraudulent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piltdown_Man

Then there was the discovery of the impossible: the coelacanth. It was certainly a sensation among scientists and the educated public, but it never interested those who wish to be of the special few who have knowledge because there was clear evidence from the time of its discovery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelacanth

Old 12-17-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Why should I accept unsupported statements?
You can only damage your case when you equate real evidence with unsupported claims. A hoax will always be suspected.
You definitely should not accept any statements either supported or unsupported.

WHY would I or anyone else want or value your acceptance? It is all fairly anonymous here so no-one knows what credentials others may or may not have or for that matter, if they are someone who can speak with any authority on a subject.

I dont have a 'case' and I am certainly not trying to put forward an argument for the existence of lizards. Anyway, maybe they aren't lizards but other types of reptiles - who knows? Ask David Icke.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:51 PM

4,886 posts, read 7,596,533 times
Quote:
I dont have a 'case' and I am certainly not trying to put forward an argument for the existence of lizards. Anyway, maybe they aren't lizards but other types of reptiles - who knows? Ask David Icke.
Maybe they aren't reptiles either. There is a genetic skin condition or disease (it's not contagious) called Ichthyosis vulgaris that afflict some people. Their skin look almost like reptile scales or fish scales. Although I haven't looked for any specific evidence, it's possible some of these people are homeless and live in the LA underground drain culverts. If such a person emerged from a culvert, and another person had no idea about it, it might be easy to assume the homeless person might be a lizard person. The 'scales' (they are actually scales) can cover much of a person's body. There is no cure for it, but there is treatment that can help relieve the condition.

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/...yosis-vulgaris

https://www.healthline.com/health/ic...garis#symptoms

https://srlotion.wordpress.com/tag/ichthyosis-vulgaris/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthyosis_vulgaris

Old 12-18-2017, 09:23 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,887,727 times
The only lizard people in LA have last names that start with "K" and end with "ardashian".

Old 12-19-2017, 10:03 AM

4,886 posts, read 7,596,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Maybe they aren't reptiles either. There is a genetic skin condition or disease (it's not contagious) called Ichthyosis vulgaris that afflict some people. Their skin look almost like reptile scales or fish scales. Although I haven't looked for any specific evidence, it's possible some of these people are homeless and live in the LA underground drain culverts. If such a person emerged from a culvert, and another person had no idea about it, it might be easy to assume the homeless person might be a lizard person. The 'scales' (they are actually scales) can cover much of a person's body. There is no cure for it, but there is treatment that can help relieve the condition.

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/...yosis-vulgaris

https://www.healthline.com/health/ic...garis#symptoms

https://srlotion.wordpress.com/tag/ichthyosis-vulgaris/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthyosis_vulgaris
Correction (due to crappy typing) Should have been:
They ARE NOT actually scales.

Last edited by NightBazaar; 12-19-2017 at 10:53 AM..

Old 12-25-2017, 02:19 AM

28 posts, read 16,159 times
Default "Suddenly cease." Not at all.

The lizard people investigation did not suddenly cease. The investigation merely was quickly "SCALED" back.
Sorry. I could not keep myself away from that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal