Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 11:44 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

I with help "personal experiences" because I am going to guess that no one has survived this event.
However, if you have a relative or friend who has fallen victim to this bizarre event,please share this.

Because of the physical and biological nature of SHC, scientists have studied this phenomenon extensively.
Essentially, most who do not have an agenda against the unexplained, are baffled by this event.

When Spontaneous Human Combustion takes place, the person burns from the inside out and the flames begin in the torso. Frequently, the limbs are untouched. In an infamous and well documented case in Florida, in the early 1950s, an elderly woman was found with her head shrunken, and her torso immolated. Her surroundings in her apartment were not burned.

What are your thoughts?10 Cases of Spontaneous Human Combustion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 01:35 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
This is possibly one of the most strange and mysterious happenings in my book.
Of all the different theories explored, the only one I can think might explain things is the odd and rare mix of 'just the right stuff' that causes a chemical reaction in the body that generates an extreme amount of heat and becomes a flash fire.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:50 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,554 times
Frank Baker claims to have survived spontaneously combusting...
Spontaneous human combustion: Man's body bursts into flames on the sofa - but he lives to tell the tale - Mirror Online

Old 09-22-2014, 05:19 PM

113 posts, read 113,856 times
I have heard about this all my life.It is something I don't doubt and I don't understand.To me,if life is possible,anything is possible.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:27 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,802 times
If the human body is like 60% water how can it spontaneously combust? The only person who I know who spontaneously combusts is Johnny Storm...and he's not real. But of course it does beg the question that if the human body is 60 percent water wouldn't it be more accurate to call him the Human Smoke than the Human Torch.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:38 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,575,824 times
There was someone who survived it. He started catching fire from like nowhere, but he then like put it out.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:02 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,982,960 times
This has been replicated under laboratory conditions. The combustion is not 'spontaneous'. That part is a myth. I think the answer really came when a murder victim was found still burning in a forest, lying face down on leaves. The killer had set the body alight and the wick effect kept the body burning. Tests were done on a pig carcase and it burned internally, long, slow and hot and did not set the wooden 'room' it was in on fire. Most of the non water part of the body is combustible and the fat portion is highly combustible. The fire burns for so long that even the bones crumble, something that does not happen in the hotter and faster cremation process where the bones have to be mechanically pulverized.

Quote:
There was someone who survived it. He started catching fire from like nowhere, but he then like put it out.
I saw that documentary and quite frankly, I do not believe him or his collaborator.

I tend to believe the lab test conducted by forensic scientists and recorded on camera throughout.

Last edited by 303Guy; 09-23-2014 at 03:14 AM..

Old 09-23-2014, 07:40 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
If the human body is like 60% water how can it spontaneously combust?
Perhaps a severe case of dehydration..?!lol I don't believe in this, tbh.. There must be some form of catalyst that was just too advanced for folks in the 1950's to figure out lol

Old 09-23-2014, 08:17 AM

I think anything can be debunked.It is comforting to know we can do that.After all scientific logic can always outweigh supernatual occurances,if that is what we want.To think of the alternative,to give creedence to the supernatural is a bit too frightening,isn't it?Let us stay in our safe zones and we will all be okay. Logically,spontaneous human combustion is seemingly impossible because of the human body being. 60 percent water.But our bodies are chemical compunds and what if,just what if something occurs within this chemical compund and causes it to ignite?It is a fact or brains carry electrical current,our bodys conduct electrical currents as evidenced by static electricity.....remember those little uncomfortable shocks we get from door nova and the like?I just think that we shouldn't write such incidents off the page so quickly.Whether you choose to believe this phenomena or not,my friends,stay safe out there.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:19 AM

That is supposed to say door knobs,not nova.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal