U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 03:18 PM

7,059 posts, read 3,527,349 times

Advertisements

I've had a windscreen suddenly shatter. The vehicle had rolled so the glass would have been under tension and as it stood in the hot sun I suppose the stress reached a critical point. Then a rear windscreen shattered for no apparent reason. It was very old and very old windscreens can and do spontaneously shatter or they crack easily.

In this case, the door actually swings open which tells us there were some stresses involved there.

Quote:
We sense that it is a solid, however, it is a super cooled liquid.
But is still a solid. There was/is a myth that old shop windows gradually flow over time leaving the bottom thicker than the top. The truth is the glass was made that way in the past and the glaziers always put the thicker side down. Glass does not flow and normal temperatures. Toughened glass does seem to build up internal stresses over time (or become brittle). I sometimes deal with armoured glass and we have to be very careful not to bump it on a corner. The whole pain cracks up (not shatter or explode)

Last edited by 303Guy; 12-23-2014 at 03:26 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 07:28 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,279,270 times
I watched the video and don't know what it was, but I don't have the feeling it was anything supernatural at all. It just didn't give me that feeling. I don't know how else to put it.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:04 PM

10,612 posts, read 18,992,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
As the wood framing ages it warps. That changes the tension on the glass.

Pop!

No ghosts here folks.
You can tell by looking at the movement of the glass that it wasn't broken by an external force.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:44 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,022,767 times
the thing on the floor in front of the door looks like a work mans tool box .. you can see the glass swing open a bit as if it had came out of the frame ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal