Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 04:03 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I don't use it as a I want a BMW and expect a BMW. What I found in my life is like draws like. When I went through a very time in my life, all sorts of bad stuff kept happening. I mean -- jeez, can't I get a break?

As I was talking it over via email with someone she told me that she'd allow me to vent, say whatever I needed, but each email had to end with three good things -- and they couldn't be the same good things.

At first it was so hard, because it felt like I was going from calamity to calamity. As we went on it got easier, and it dragged me from the mire. Not because the bad was over, but because I could finally see that it had never been as bad as I had thought.

Which made my life much easier, as I could deal with the bad as it came.
For the person who repped me with the comment "that is a nice friend".... well.

She was to ME....for a while, but in reality, she was a big time catfisher. I didn't fit the profile of the people she preyed on, so I was a "catch and release".

I was told this after my friend sort of dropped me, with a decent excuse. I figured it was nasty gossip, and didn't believe it.

I found out much later I dodged a big bullet, and then there was no denying it. A lot of our e-mail conversations made a lot of sense after finding this out. I could never understand her angry outbursts when I didn't respond the way she wanted, now I know it was because she was figuring out that she was wasting her time, and she didn't like that.

I will always be grateful to her for helping me, and for letting me have the lesson that on the internet all isn't what it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 01:31 AM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
When it comes to LOA, can someone explain this? --- Back in my college days, I had a friend that had things just fall into her lap (good things) with very little or no effort on her part. Yet...she was a very negative person and complained a lot. When she would complain about something, I would give her advice on how to correct things and she wouldn't do it, saying "Oh forget it!" Still...I would be so amazing at how many good things would happen to her.

How does someone so negative attract good things in their life?

Old 09-29-2014, 02:18 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Haha...little do people know...the Law of Attraction is working every single second.
Whether you have good 'luck' or 'bad'....not one thing happens that we have not created
by attracting it to us.
When we finally perceive this ... oh my, does a change ever happen in our understanding of
this entire creation...and I dare say, our Creator.

(snip because the post was long)
This logic sort of bugs me.

For example, nothing in the world is ever going to convince me that a four-year-old child who doesn't even know what sex is and who up until this point believed in magic, Sesame Street and the undying power and protection of a parent's love attracted her father to come into her room and molest her.

That's just one example and probably the most obvious one, but there are so many others.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-29-2014 at 02:30 AM..

Old 09-29-2014, 02:21 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
As for the Law of Attraction in general, I feel it works in a pretty practical way: when we either want something to happen or firmly believe it will happen, we will overlook all other possibilities and accept only the ones that conform to our belief.

For example, the person who deep-down believes she will never succeed in business - or perhaps believes deep down that money and being wealthy are bad things - will find any and every excuse not to push forward in the business world. She'll turn down job offers because of "a funny feeling" or something that is actually pretty petty and insignificant - "They all wore ties there, I have a feeling that wouldn't be the place for me" and so on. Or she'll get dozens of mysterious illnesses with no medical backup (seeing doctor after doctor for them) that make her skip days and days of work at a good job and end up losing the job. Or she'll overlook potential new jobs for reasons that anybody else would feel are ridiculous. "I had a boyfriend with that last name and he was horrible - I just get a bad feeling about that place...I'm not going to apply there."

Meanwhile, someone who believes, say, that she will have a wonderful relationship with a great man, will turn down offers from guys who do exude an obviously bad vibe an go for, you guessed it, the good guy. Meanwhile, the woman who believes men are bad and that she will never have a good relationship will "seem to always be attracted to the bad boys - I just don't know why!" or will keep "falling into" relationships where she claims she thought at first that the men were great, despite flags so red anybody else in the world would have seen them. She DID see the red flags subconsciously, but denied them consciously in order to fit her beliefs.

The whole relationships thing is true of guys as well. Take a peek at the Relationships board to see post after post about how "all" women are shallow and "all" women are gold-diggers...then ask those men if they'd date a woman who wasn't a super-hottie, that was 10 lbs. overweight or who didn't have some sort of unattainable status. Well duh. Those men are obviously walking deliberately into a situation where they can be turned down and/or used in order to cement their own beliefs that all women are shallow and all women are gold-diggers.

As for all the rest, it falls down to chance (IMO). Someone above asked how a negative person could have great things happen to her. Chance. Plus, while outwardly she may b*tch and moan constantly, deep down she may feel entitled and believe she is bound for great things, and she leans toward those great things as they come up.

But it can't be a bad thing to try to put your head in the right place and change your beliefs so that you *will* see opportunities and look out for dangers, because these will point you in the direction you want to go. So do go ahead and meditate and "see" what you want to happen, even if from a practical standpoint. You may stop tripping yourself up that way.

As for health, I don't want to really go there because although there are studies that show that people with a positive attitude do better with illness, that's by far not 100% of positive thinkers with a serious illness, plus you don't know that they don't sense (based on their bodies' signals) that they will indeed get better, and that *that's* what's actually causing the positive attitude. In addition, double-blind studies haven't found, for example, that prayer affected people either way - equal numbers of prayed-on and non-prayed-on either stayed sick or got better. It's more that we hear the "miracle stories" and discount the dozens of stories that don't turn out to be miracles. I would never advise anyone on a health matter from an esoteric POV; I am 100% practical about it - research and do anything and everything in your power to get better. If that includes attempting to point your head in the direction of health, definitely try LoA, but in the meantime, don't stop digging for the root of your illness at a practical level. Health is too important to play around with, IMO.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-29-2014 at 02:40 AM..

Old 09-29-2014, 02:47 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
It hasn't worked for me. I'm still poor and ugly.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:30 PM

235 posts, read 298,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnott View Post
i've tried using it for health money and love and no luck. does LOA respond to thoughts or feelings?

how do you know that u've gotten it to work?
I think that to have what you want in life you need a combination of positive attitude and positive action.

For example, I can sit on my couch and say "I'm going to be rich" a million times in a row, but if I'm not taking the concrete steps to increase my wealth, all the good thoughts in the world won't do anything.

I could also say "I'm going to get married next year" but if I spend every night sitting in front of the tv instead of making an effort to go out and meet people, the wedding likely won't happen.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:20 PM

855 posts, read 624,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
When it comes to LOA, can someone explain this? --- Back in my college days, I had a friend that had things just fall into her lap (good things) with very little or no effort on her part. Yet...she was a very negative person and complained a lot. When she would complain about something, I would give her advice on how to correct things and she wouldn't do it, saying "Oh forget it!" Still...I would be so amazing at how many good things would happen to her.

How does someone so negative attract good things in their life?
That is a good question ...

I know for myself I tend to be a worrier, and often
consider the worst-case-scenario in some situations,
yet things tend to work out.

Thomas Jefferson and Ralph Waldo Emerson touch on
this:
"How much pain they have cost us, the evils which
have never happened." (Jefferson)
and...
"Some of your hurts you have cured,
And the sharpest you still have survived,
But what torments of grief you endured
From the evil which never arrived?"
(Emerson)
I fit into that category -- I get myself quite stressed
out ruminating on the worst that could happen. The
LOA may be real, but I'm not sure it's necessarily
consistent, because if it were, then (for example) my
house would have been demolished by the high winds
we get (especially during the winter). I love a windy
day, but at night, if we're getting 40mph+ gusts, I can't
sleep, because I'll be bracing myself each time I hear a
gust rolling toward my house, thinking "This is going to
be the one that takes out a window, if not the entire
building." If the LOA were true, this should have
happened by now... right?-

Old 09-30-2014, 04:18 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
^Excellent points, Rayjeena!

While I work on keeping a positive mindset, I am a worrier by nature. According to LOA, if I worry about something bad happening, then it will happen. But...not necessarily! For example, sometimes I have to get in the car and drive someplace during rush hour. I'll find myself thinking that I'm going to hit horrendous stop-and-go traffic and with that in mind, I leave the house filled with dread. Yet, when I hit the road, traffic moves along quite well and I'm pleasantly surprised.

On the flip side, I've been wanting to move for years. According to LOA, if you think about something you want to happen and think about it all the time, you will manifest it. Oh, I think about moving every day. I think about where I want to move to and what my new place will look like. I think about the moving process and think positively. For example, we'll fix up the house, it will look nice and sell quickly. I think about how everything will come together and fall into place. Yet...here we still are.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:38 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
It's been working for me for a long time now. But I don't call it the law of attraction. God gave us the power long ago. I have gotten all of my jobs using this so called "LOA" as well as other things I wanted like vacation money, foods, bills, etc. I follow the principle of Habakkuk 2:2. I write down a list of what I want and it comes to fruition. That's all.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:05 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
While I work on keeping a positive mindset, I am a worrier by nature. According to LOA, if I worry about something bad happening, then it will happen. But...not necessarily! For example, sometimes I have to get in the car and drive someplace during rush hour. I'll find myself thinking that I'm going to hit horrendous stop-and-go traffic and with that in mind, I leave the house filled with dread. Yet, when I hit the road, traffic moves along quite well and I'm pleasantly surprised.

On the flip side, I've been wanting to move for years. According to LOA, if you think about something you want to happen and think about it all the time, you will manifest it. Oh, I think about moving every day. I think about where I want to move to and what my new place will look like. I think about the moving process and think positively. For example, we'll fix up the house, it will look nice and sell quickly. I think about how everything will come together and fall into place. Yet...here we still are.
Those are some good points. I've seen it happen myself: sometimes when I worry that something will happen, things don't turn out as bad as I thought they would. So, the whole notion of something resulting from what your mind was focusing on doesn't really hold water. So yeah, it makes you wonder about the efficacy of the LOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal