U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 574 times

Advertisements

This dream is commonly shared by both law enforcement and military professionals - the dream is not an indication of weakness or being unprepared to do the job.

I have worn a badge as well as been an Infantryman who served in combat ... and I have a body count - those I could kick and call my own ... not something made up that "maybe I got 'em ..."

And I still have these dreams ... no matter how hard I squeeze ... the trigger won't pull ... to the point I am breaking all marksmanship training in my dream just to get the weapon to fire ... and it may as well be a rock - because it isn't going to shoot - no matter what ... the scenarios may change, or I may dream of fire fights I was in where I try to change the outcome ... the weapon will never fire.

It's not because I am unprepared ... it's because I am not a psychopath ... like all of us who have these dreams.

In life we do what we have to in order to survive, as well as do our job. In these lines of work, there is a lot of unpleasantness we need to accept - the biggest is pain inflicted on innocent victims and death.

Psychopaths are OK with killing ... professionals that toe the line are not ... we do what we have to, and at times dream about what can happen, or already has.

I take pride in the fact I could be relied on, that I never failed, and I always had the other person's back ... but I have never taken pride in the fact I have killed ... it's a guilty feeling I will never shake, but the pride that I toed the line and accomplished the mission assuage the guilt ... my punishment comes in the dreams ...

So be proud you can't pull the trigger in your dreams ... it's your self conscious ... maybe your soul ... letting you know you are not a psychopath ...

The dreams suck when they happen ... but the alternative ... that would be a living hell ...

So while I can't pull the trigger in my dreams ... I know in life I squeeze that trigger if every other option has failed and is not available ...

And I can sleep on that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 06:43 AM

17,524 posts, read 22,588,107 times
how many scary movies have a damsel in distress screaming like a 12 yr old,,,running to her car from a psycho
finally gets to the car and of course, the car isn't starting,,,, just for suspense???????????

Old 12-22-2015, 06:17 PM

41,505 posts, read 50,146,211 times
I have had "combat" nightmares left over from 'Nam. In these the shotgun always works and seems to have unlimited number of rounds. I wake up in the middle of an adrenaline rush wondering where I am.

My VA counselor and I are having interesting discussions about these dreams.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dji1068 View Post
This dream is commonly shared by both law enforcement and military professionals - the dream is not an indication of weakness or being unprepared to do the job.

I have worn a badge as well as been an Infantryman who served in combat ... and I have a body count - those I could kick and call my own ... not something made up that "maybe I got 'em ..."

And I still have these dreams ... no matter how hard I squeeze ... the trigger won't pull ... to the point I am breaking all marksmanship training in my dream just to get the weapon to fire ... and it may as well be a rock - because it isn't going to shoot - no matter what ... the scenarios may change, or I may dream of fire fights I was in where I try to change the outcome ... the weapon will never fire.

It's not because I am unprepared ... it's because I am not a psychopath ... like all of us who have these dreams.

In life we do what we have to in order to survive, as well as do our job. In these lines of work, there is a lot of unpleasantness we need to accept - the biggest is pain inflicted on innocent victims and death.

Psychopaths are OK with killing ... professionals that toe the line are not ... we do what we have to, and at times dream about what can happen, or already has.

I take pride in the fact I could be relied on, that I never failed, and I always had the other person's back ... but I have never taken pride in the fact I have killed ... it's a guilty feeling I will never shake, but the pride that I toed the line and accomplished the mission assuage the guilt ... my punishment comes in the dreams ...

So be proud you can't pull the trigger in your dreams ... it's your self conscious ... maybe your soul ... letting you know you are not a psychopath ...

The dreams suck when they happen ... but the alternative ... that would be a living hell ...

So while I can't pull the trigger in my dreams ... I know in life I squeeze that trigger if every other option has failed and is not available ...

And I can sleep on that!
Thank you for your input. I am an ex airborne infantry, bomb dog handler (T.E.D.D.) with experiences very similar to yours. Thank you for letting me put this question of why to rest. Also I think you should post this on grunt style or any Facebook page like them. I think it would help out alot of combat vets with their sleep.

Last edited by Tucker__; 01-16-2016 at 11:50 AM..

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

104 posts, read 571,448 times
I think it is because I dry fire my glock after racking it twice to make sure the gun is safe. The trigger pull in the dream is similar to that dry fire.

Old Today, 02:41 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,490,142 times
While not a firearm, I have had dreams that I think are similar in the sense when trying to defend myself using my hands. No matter how hard I try to hit/punch the attacker/perpetrator/bad guy/etc my punches are about as weak and effective as a 11 year old girls punch would be, if that.

I'm not Mike Tyson by any means, but I'm also not a complete wimp, so I'd like to have my dream punches be a little bit more damaging and effective .

Old Today, 03:39 AM

4,255 posts, read 1,918,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
While not a firearm, I have had dreams that I think are similar in the sense when trying to defend myself using my hands. No matter how hard I try to hit/punch the attacker/perpetrator/bad guy/etc my punches are about as weak and effective as a 11 year old girls punch would be, if that.

I'm not Mike Tyson by any means, but I'm also not a complete wimp, so I'd like to have my dream punches be a little bit more damaging and effective .
I have these. I dream that Im throwing punches that never really land, or connect.

I was surprised to experience another common dream event in real life: The silent scream.

I was 14: swimming in the Pecos (N.M.) river & had stayed behind alone after my group left to walk the 1 mile trail back to the cabins. A very stupid decision, on my part; the only other people there were three very drunk local men.

We were on what we simply called The Rock, where tree trunks had been placed to dam the river into a deep pool & a giant rock on the riverbed served as our launchpad. Once you climbed the rock, you had to jump to leave; it was impossible to climb down the same way you came up.

After overhearing the men talking about taking me somewhere & hiding me; I realized I was in a lot of danger, so I jumped & swam to the riverbank. And heard three splashes behind me. The hunt was on.

I ran like heck, barefoot & dripping wet, through the cat tails & 6 foot tall river reeds with the men, by then naked; chasing & closing in. One got so close I could smell the alcohol on his breath.

I heard voices up ahead & was relieved to realize it was my group but when I tried to scream for help; nothing came out! I had thought that was just a dream thing!

Ive never been in combat but was diagnosed with PTSD in 1995 after my daughter died. PTSD dreams were the opposite: The dream would end when i screamed but I would find myself actually screaming in real life.

The dream was always the same: Holding another one of my children who was crying. So realistic. I could feel their wet tears on my neck. In my dream Id rock & walk the child to soothe them, only to realize with horror that they had turned cold & silent. Realizing that I was holding another dead child; Id start to scream but would suddenly find myself thrashing in the bed or sitting bolt upright, screaming for real in the dark.

Its been about five years since that happened. Now I just suffer insomnia(note my post time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or