Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:23 PM

535 posts, read 1,295,314 times

Advertisements

This has only happened to me only twice in my life.

Once I dreamed of looking into the sky and seeing a cloud formation in the shape of a heart.

The next day while watching the news someone had sent in a picture in to the weather team of a picture they had taken of a heart shaped cloud in the sky. It was the same formation I had dreamed about the night before.

The other night I had a dream that I had bitten the arm of a child. I left a big bite mark on their arm and I was scared that I would get into trouble for the bite.

Last night I read the news and I see where a local teacher is in trouble because she bit the arm of a special needs child. They showed a picture of the bite and it was in the same spot as the bite mark I made in my dream.

What's up with all that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 08:39 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Either simple coincidence, an example of Jung's synchronicity, or evidence of a universal field of consciousness we can sometimes tap into. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell which is the case.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:13 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Isn't that the strangest thing?

Some years ago right around this time - before Thanksgiving - I woke up one morning with a panic-stricken voice in my head repeating, "The turkey's in the ditch! The turkey's in the ditch!"

Imagine how startling it was to come downstairs and open the newspaper to read a human interest story of a turkey falling off a truck hauling a load of them to a nearby processing plant. The turkey had run into the ditch and a car came by shortly with people who got out, caught the turkey and took him home to their farm thereby saving him from a certain death.

I remember thinking that if I was given the gift of prescience why couldn't I have been dreaming of lottery numbers or something with a little more useful information?

And some people go their whole lives without noticing these kinds of strange coincidences that happen rather frequently for me.

(As I typed this a man on the radio said the word "prescient." How often do you hear that word used? I just used it and heard it in the same sentence.)

What does it mean? Apparently very little but it's amusing.

I have been reading a little about quantum physics and the theory that atoms can communicate with each other over distance. Perhaps science holds an answer to that slippage of information?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:24 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
^I've had similar things happen. Recently, I was writing in a notebook while watching TV. I had just written the word "effortlessly" and a second later, someone said "effortlessly" in a commercial!

-------------------
I remember thinking that if I was given the gift of prescience why couldn't I have been dreaming of lottery numbers or something with a little more useful information?
-------------------
^LOL! I've often thought the same thing!

What happens to me is sometimes I'll think of a prominent person and wonder what ever happened to so-and-so. Then later the same day, there will be something in the news about him/her.

A few years back, we were planning a weekend getaway. The weather forecast said that it was supposed to rain the whole weekend in that city. Then, a couple of days before we left, I was in that twilight sleep stage when I clearly heard a voice say "It's going to be better than you think!" Sure enough, except for some drizzle one day, the rain held off until the day we left to go home.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:01 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
I've never had a precognitive dream (at least not one I can remember), but I've had two experiences of precognition that still haunt me: one associated with the assassination of President Kennedy, the other with the death of my father. In both cases it was raining and I had the strong sense that something terrible was about to happen (it did in both cases within an hour), and if I just knew how to interpret it, the terrible answer was in the sound of the rain.

I've also had the experience quite a few times of using an unusual word or discussing something, and a short time later hearing the word or topic used on TV or the radio. Could all this be just coincidence? Yeah. Or I might have subliminally picked up something about Kennedy that was being said or broadcast in the building (I was in high school) that led to my having those feelings. With my father, he was not visibly ill but we had visited my parents a few days before and it's possible I subconsciously picked up signs that he was close to death from a massive and sudden heart attack.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:17 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Just the other morning while driving to work with the radio on, a tune was playing and as it came to the end I started thinking of a tune I know but couldn't quite put it together in my head. Then it began to play on the radio! It was before six and the station does not talk between numbers although they do play adverts. It was 'Sitting on the dock of the bay' and it was that line I was trying to remember.

I lady friend of my son wrote to me saying how uncanny it was that whenever she thought of a song played at his funeral it would play next on the radio! Coincidences can be strange. Coincidences? Really? Who knows?

Old 11-21-2014, 11:59 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,100 times
It seems like precognition to me, and I think it's happened to everyone at one point or another.

I look forward to the day when we can officially add "perception" (or whatever they want to call it) as a human, valid sixth sense. Sight, smell, hearing, touch, taste. Some are blind, deaf, and mute. Many have extreme sensitivities to or deficiencies of smell or touch. But I think everyone can perceive; the degree to which each of us does simply differs. I don't think this sense is any more mysterious than the first five; I think it's just a matter of an educational entity agreeing that it is not "para"-normal.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:53 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
It seems like precognition to me, and I think it's happened to everyone at one point or another.

I look forward to the day when we can officially add "perception" (or whatever they want to call it) as a human, valid sixth sense. Sight, smell, hearing, touch, taste. Some are blind, deaf, and mute. Many have extreme sensitivities to or deficiencies of smell or touch. But I think everyone can perceive; the degree to which each of us does simply differs. I don't think this sense is any more mysterious than the first five; I think it's just a matter of an educational entity agreeing that it is not "para"-normal.
The problem with perception is that it's so subjective (and unpredictable) that it doesn't lend itself well to testing.

Have you heard of MMEs? Micro-momentary expressions? It's that flicker of emotional expression that sometimes flashes across a person's face and is gone so quickly that if you aren't very observant you may miss it. Guess you could say that it exposes what a person is really feeling before their social sense takes over and they replace it with whatever "proper" emotional expression they think they should be portraying.

Most of our communication and understanding of each other is nonverbal. So we've become sensitive to what others do with their face and body while speaking in order to get an accurate picture of his true "tone." Being social creatures we can be deceptive with our words in order to fit in. But our body language, facial expressions tend to be the real mirror to what's going on emotionally and are difficult to disguise.

I've met some people who seem to have no, or little, ability to read nonverbal cues. (You know the kind. You deliberately send a cue - look at your watch to signal you're done talking. And they continue to chat away, clueless.) But others of us are very sensitive to cues and I wonder how much of our precognitions about people have to do with reading minute clues with our senses that we may not even be aware that we're perceiving.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:13 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Nothing that I can say that has not already been said.
That's some precognitive dreaming there.

I've never had a premonition in a dream. But I have had similar things happen to me. Sometimes it's cool, sometimes not so much.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:08 PM

503 posts, read 772,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
The problem with perception is that it's so subjective (and unpredictable) that it doesn't lend itself well to testing.

Have you heard of MMEs? Micro-momentary expressions? It's that flicker of emotional expression that sometimes flashes across a person's face and is gone so quickly that if you aren't very observant you may miss it. Guess you could say that it exposes what a person is really feeling before their social sense takes over and they replace it with whatever "proper" emotional expression they think they should be portraying.

Most of our communication and understanding of each other is nonverbal. So we've become sensitive to what others do with their face and body while speaking in order to get an accurate picture of his true "tone." Being social creatures we can be deceptive with our words in order to fit in. But our body language, facial expressions tend to be the real mirror to what's going on emotionally and are difficult to disguise.

I've met some people who seem to have no, or little, ability to read nonverbal cues. (You know the kind. You deliberately send a cue - look at your watch to signal you're done talking. And they continue to chat away, clueless.) But others of us are very sensitive to cues and I wonder how much of our precognitions about people have to do with reading minute clues with our senses that we may not even be aware that we're perceiving.
Guessing you have read Blink (Gladwell)? Fascinating stuff. I always thought I was fairly intuititive - really its paying attention. Until I read that book I had no idea that I was actually picking up on expressions/vibe/energy.

Although, I have had the dreams that play out exactly in real life too. Who knows why. Just enjoying the ride (while paying attention of course!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal