U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 AM

17,894 posts, read 14,158,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123tinad View Post
I guess I mistook this forum for believers of the paranormal, and thought I would have some support and we would all share our stories.
I am sorry! You did not say state originally that you only wanted irrational explanations. Some of us, including myself, are skeptics and nonbelievers. You will find many that support your quest for paranormal answers. Just try to be more specific when you start the thread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 11:41 AM

7,355 posts, read 10,238,500 times
Since this is an apartment building my first thought is a leak in a wall or a ventilation shaft that lets someone else's smoke into your place, that wouldn't be detectable outside.

With that said, I once came into my locked house and the place smelled just like an officer's club -- beer and cigars. I never solved that little mystery because I do share a wall with another place, but it was unoccupied at the time. Never happened again.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:22 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,896,584 times
I guess it's possible for a smell to be associated with a discarnate entity. When my mother passed, my sister in law smelled the distinctive perfume she used to use when younger, and then learned she had died at that time.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:34 PM

35,883 posts, read 70,231,999 times
If your mother is trying to contact you, then there will likely be other signs, not just the smell of smoke.

What other unusual things have occurred, if any?

Furniture being moved? Lights flickering? Music box suddenly playing? Strange phone calls?

Old 11-25-2014, 12:49 PM

11,421 posts, read 10,189,324 times
It happens in my condo from time to time. We are the second owners and the originals never smoked.

On occasion I'll walk into the living room and it will reek of cigarette smoke like someone was just there smoking.

I figure it is a loved one from either our past or the previous owners past.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:23 PM

13,666 posts, read 22,312,665 times
Quote:
I guess I mistook this forum for believers of the paranormal, and thought I would have some support and we would all share our stories.
There are no prequalifications for posting here. We have believers and skeptics alike, and the occasional thread pirate that comes in, wreaks some carnage and runs off.

Keeping an open mind is a good thing, and that means ticking off the boxes of what it could be and trying to debunk the experience. It's not meant as disrespectful. In fact, by proving what it isn't, it makes what you think it is more real.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:15 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,797,311 times
If this was in a house not surrounded by any neighbors, then it would surely be strange.

OP you live in an apartment building. The obvious answer is that it is coming from a neighbor. It happens all the time.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:13 PM

65 posts, read 73,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Okay, so maybe it's a message from your mother. If you find that comforting, that's great, and I can understand. But...if there are other possibilities, perhaps you might also consider them.

Such as the extremely obvious: you live in an apartment building. Do other residents, in particular your close neighbors, smoke? Is the heating/cooling system completely separate for each apartment? Did the former residents in your apartment smoke? Is there some overlooked area of your apartment which did not get completely cleaned, repainted, etc. (as others have suggested)?

It's not necessary to harshly insult other posters who've suggested earthly explanations as possibilities. Again, if it's comforting for you to perceive this situation as a message from beyond from your mother, you are free to hold to that interpretation. Just don't shoot down messengers who may see other possibilities.
I apologize. And the reason I did lose my temper is because I hate it when people don't fully listen to what I have already said. I already explained that it now isn't because of the previous smokers because of the length of time we have been here over 3 years and for about a year and a half we haven't been smelling anything and just all of a sudden we will start smelling it strong in just a small area of our apartment we are on the bottom floor the windows are closed.
I open the doors and smell out side and there is no smoke smell.
and we haven't been around anyone who smokes or haven't even been out for the day.
When I said there was no other explanation that is what I meant.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:00 AM

29,245 posts, read 28,315,967 times
Quote:
Really, everyone in my apartment all at the same time is dehydrated?
Really, maybe someone is smoking in an adjacent apartment and they think no one else can smell it.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:22 AM

65 posts, read 73,104 times
Default Can it go through walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Really, maybe someone is smoking in an adjacent apartment and they think no one else can smell it.
Do you think it would go through the walls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal