U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 02:39 AM

13,626 posts, read 22,257,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123tinad View Post
Do you think it would go through the walls?
Yes -- I clean condo common areas, and residents complain all the time about odors wafting. Cigarettes, fish odors, frying odors -- some have even complained about overuse of air fresheners.

Once -- there were multiple complaints from people who were concerned that someone had died in their unit. He hadn't. He had, however, cleaned out his fridge before he left for vacation.... but mistakenly left it bagged up in his sink. For three weeks.

I can't tell you how many people I dragged into the trash chute area to convince them it wasn't from me not cleaning. They were surprised to find the trash chute room lemony fresh.... and the hallway quite stinky... quite quite stinky...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 03:12 AM

65 posts, read 72,869 times
We don't live in that kind of apartment.
Ours has front and back door exits to the outside only. No hallway.
I could understand that, because when you open your front door to the hallway the smell would come into your apartment.
I don't know what it is and now we have talked about it so much I don't care anymore.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:50 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,279,270 times
Quote:
Do you think it would go through the walls?
Yes. That's the first thing I thought. I've lived in many apartments and suddenly smelled smoke -- I don't know if it comes through the wall or through the ventilation systems or what -- but it's always been almost obvious to me that some nearby neighbor (doesn't even have to be next door or upstairs or downstairs) is smoking. It's a distinctive, strong smell that travels, but I don't know how it travels. Every apartment is built differently, and I don't know anything about construction, but I've smelled smoke suddenly in almost every one of those apartments. I didn't respond when I first saw this post, but this is exactly what I thought only because it's happened to me so many times.

I live in my own home now, and for the past 15 years I've been here, I've smelled perfume and smoke maybe two times each, just out of nowhere. I've always said "hi!" and asked them if they could stay longer and give me more information that my six senses can use to identify them, but it's always been very faint, and they never stay. I am fully convinced that close relatives, friends, and even ancestors come near us, but I don't believe I have the ability to perceive them. I've been into the paranormal, starting with astrology, since I was 8, and I've tried to educate myself as fully as possible for countless hours over many years. And I certainly can't speak for everyone, but most of us who post here are very interested in the paranormal and tend to believe it -- or at least WANT to believe it. But one must move through the logical and more concrete theories first (i.e., eliminating all the possibilities).

I think the strongest indicator regarding the nature of this smell of smoke (or any other event that seems to come out of nowhere/seems paranormal) is very subjective for everyone; if your instinct tells you it's absolutely NOT other people smoking somewhere nearby, then there's your answer. Your instincts don't lie.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:03 AM

4,960 posts, read 4,676,718 times
Quote:
I thought you people believed in spirits and the paranormal.
What are you talking about!?
I am not an idiot.
There is no other explanation but a spirit.
I just wanted to know if anyone else on here has had such experiences?
Think horses, not zebras.

SOMEBODY nearby is smoking and the stink is wafting.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:46 PM

13,626 posts, read 22,257,867 times
Quote:
I could understand that, because when you open your front door to the hallway the smell would come into your apartment.
I don't know what it is and now we have talked about it so much I don't care anymore.
Yea, but you share walls. And those walls very probably have heating vents and/or electric outlets. Strong odor seep through those just as easily as through windows or doors.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:54 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,382,579 times
Quote:
I'll be honest with you. No problem. Your mother wouldn't come through like this and smoking a pack of cigarettes to bring you down. So, it's pretty unfeasible.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:08 PM

Default Was looking for others stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Yes. That's the first thing I thought. I've lived in many apartments and suddenly smelled smoke -- I don't know if it comes through the wall or through the ventilation systems or what -- but it's always been almost obvious to me that some nearby neighbor (doesn't even have to be next door or upstairs or downstairs) is smoking. It's a distinctive, strong smell that travels, but I don't know how it travels. Every apartment is built differently, and I don't know anything about construction, but I've smelled smoke suddenly in almost every one of those apartments. I didn't respond when I first saw this post, but this is exactly what I thought only because it's happened to me so many times.

I live in my own home now, and for the past 15 years I've been here, I've smelled perfume and smoke maybe two times each, just out of nowhere. I've always said "hi!" and asked them if they could stay longer and give me more information that my six senses can use to identify them, but it's always been very faint, and they never stay. I am fully convinced that close relatives, friends, and even ancestors come near us, but I don't believe I have the ability to perceive them. I've been into the paranormal, starting with astrology, since I was 8, and I've tried to educate myself as fully as possible for countless hours over many years. And I certainly can't speak for everyone, but most of us who post here are very interested in the paranormal and tend to believe it -- or at least WANT to believe it. But one must move through the logical and more concrete theories first (i.e., eliminating all the possibilities).

I think the strongest indicator regarding the nature of this smell of smoke (or any other event that seems to come out of nowhere/seems paranormal) is very subjective for everyone; if your instinct tells you it's absolutely NOT other people smoking somewhere nearby, then there's your answer. Your instincts don't lie.
That's all. I knew what it was, I just wanted to hear others stories.
No one was understanding me and it was getting frustrating.
If you look at my first post, I asked, anyone else have this happen?
Now I know a lot of other people have this sort of thing happen to them.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:27 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,668,363 times
OP must be a avid read.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:04 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,279,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
OP must be a avid read.
What?

Old 11-27-2014, 12:35 PM

I agree, What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal