U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2014, 10:29 AM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,081 posts, read 25,601,773 times
Reputation: 18078

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123tinad View Post
I guess I mistook this forum for believers of the paranormal, and thought I would have some support and we would all share our stories.
Even believers and paranormal investigators look for reasonable explanations first.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2014, 04:42 PM
 
65 posts, read 72,914 times
Reputation: 45
Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Even believers and paranormal investigators look for reasonable explanations first.
Exactly, and so do I.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,591 posts, read 2,774,050 times
Reputation: 2967
I have a genius next door neighbor that smokes inside her home. Comes right through our vents... I hate this woman so much for that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 07:16 AM
 
2,321 posts, read 2,280,872 times
Reputation: 3845
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123tinad View Post
Exactly, and so do I.
I believe you, and I feel you've covered all the possible "what else could it be?" bases. My first instinct was that you had a visiting spirit, and I still think you did. I don't know how I could have a hunch about a situation of which I have no knowledge, but there you are.

Now, when it occurs again, ask questions, take photos, have audio recorders on the ready. You'd just about have to surround yourself with it, but maybe if you do, you'll think about this more, and your thoughts will project toward that person's spirit. I wish you all the best and truly hope you find your source!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
20,291 posts, read 23,853,307 times
Reputation: 28073
There were a couple recent threads: Would you buy a car from a smoker? and: Would you buy a house from a smoker?

Read some of those responses sometime! One woman bought a house from a smoker and she had all the plywood removed right down to the studs, and replaced! One man bought a car from a smoker, had the upholstery and carpets removed and replaced!

Being a smoker, I didn't realize, from these 2 threads, that even re-painting the entire house may not solve the problem!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 11:53 PM
 
13,633 posts, read 22,263,510 times
Reputation: 24472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
There were a couple recent threads: Would you buy a car from a smoker? and: Would you buy a house from a smoker?

Read some of those responses sometime! One woman bought a house from a smoker and she had all the plywood removed right down to the studs, and replaced! One man bought a car from a smoker, had the upholstery and carpets removed and replaced!

Being a smoker, I didn't realize, from these 2 threads, that even re-painting the entire house may not solve the problem!
Oh yes -- when we bought our house, the previous owner smoked in the bathroom, and it was wall papered. Very heavy fabric backed foil wallpaper. We took that down and washed the walls, did some sanding to level out the walls and primed and painted.

Hubby loves a hot steamy shower. Every shower, nicotine leached out of the walls and dribbled down the walls.... more cleaning.

I think we used everything we could to cover... and what finally worked was tearing out the old walls and putting up new drywall.

Had someone else buy a condo from a very heavy smoker... he told me they went through gallons and gallons of Killz, ending up with 17 coats before it finally worked, then primed and painted.

Smoking is terrible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
20,291 posts, read 23,853,307 times
Reputation: 28073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Oh yes -- when we bought our house, the previous owner smoked in the bathroom, and it was wall papered. Very heavy fabric backed foil wallpaper. We took that down and washed the walls, did some sanding to level out the walls and primed and painted.

Hubby loves a hot steamy shower. Every shower, nicotine leached out of the walls and dribbled down the walls.... more cleaning.

I think we used everything we could to cover... and what finally worked was tearing out the old walls and putting up new drywall.

Had someone else buy a condo from a very heavy smoker... he told me they went through gallons and gallons of Killz, ending up with 17 coats before it finally worked, then primed and painted.

Smoking is terrible.
The nose, at one time, had no choice but to be flexible. Growing up in the 50's, can't ever remember a complaint about visitors coming to my house and complaining about the smell of smoke. Because smoking was so prevalent! No matter whom you visited, there was a good chance you were exposed to it.

I grew up in a small house in MN, windows closed during the cold months, Dad puffing away on 3-4 packs of Kools everyday, and even my mother who didn't smoke, where were the complaints? I go next door to visit a friend, parents smoking, go across the street to another neighbor's house, more smoke, but back then the nose never seemed to register it!

Go visit the grandparents for big family get together at Thanksgiving, smoke everywhere! Can't ever recall someone coming to visit, and so repulsed by the smoke, they quickly left!

Those 2 threads put a scare in me, being a smoker, and even having cut down my smoking to 4 packs a week, the damage has been done to my house/car, even if I quit completely!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top