U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:57 PM

20,286 posts, read 23,846,588 times

Advertisements

I once did an Astrology chart on an ex-partner, him being just curious, and when I pointed out certain things to him in his chart, he came over one night, drunk, and he scared the hell out of me, when he kept saying, over and over, in a rather threatening manner: Now you know all my secrets!!!

With his sun in the 12th house, I suspected him to be an alcoholic, and he actually admitted it!

There's been times at work I've guessed something about a co-worker, stated my view, and?
"That's really scary, that you guessed that about me!" And, after that, I was avoided by that person!

Given the high occurrence of Aries-Scorpio relationships/marriages, when finding out someone was either/or, and throwing out a dart, saying: You're married to a Scorpio, always the shocked looks: How did you know that!!! Well! I didn't know, I was just guessing, based on statistics! And my "dart" could have hit the wall, as not all Aries end up with a Scorpio partner!

There's a co-worker with one of these motor-mouths, she gets to talking and can't stop! Knowing she was an Aquarian, I knew she had to have her Mercury in one of those motor-mouth Mercury signs, Sagittarius or Pisces, and I made the comment to her: Ah! An Aquarian with her Mercury in Pisces!

"How do you know that? Prove it!" And I did! Again, the shocked looks!

You can get a really quick black and white photo of someone just from a birthdate, and if you want color, then you need a time of birth for the Ascendant, which you can sometimes glean without it.

How about you? Does Astrology scare you at times?
Rate this post positively

Old 12-17-2014, 03:00 AM

7,801 posts, read 5,644,981 times
So you either guess, or intellectually discern, something about another human being and it freaks them out. You then explain your guess using astrology so they direct their surprise or ire at Astrology. Clearly the answer the the question that is your thread title is obvious then. People are gullible and you have managed to convince some simple minds that you can use mystical powers to discern secrets about them and they do not like it.

Alcoholism does not need mystical powers to discern. There are obviously signs that such people give off, even when they themselves are not aware of it. Signs that range from behavioral issues.... physical changes..... to merely the smell they give off.

Not seeing an "Unexplained Mystery" or anything "Paranormal" here.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:15 AM

13,145 posts, read 20,425,877 times
Default Why Does Astrology Scare So Many People?

Because of Astrology's connection the scariest 2 words in the Christian lexicon... the occult.

Ah! save me!

Old 12-17-2014, 10:04 AM

3,751 posts, read 6,739,973 times
It must be about where I live. When I mention astrology, people get curious of get into the topic with a bit of knowledge.
I was once asked what sign I thought someone was- I said Pisces, something in thier eyes 'told' me this. I was right and they smiled in delight.
People often ask me if I am a Virgo. I have a Capricorn Sun, but so have a Virgo rising, so in essence, they are correct in that rising signs are how others see us.
One place where I worked, the crew in our department was made up of all earth signs. When we threw a different element into the mix, things did not go as smoothly.
By boss, a down to earth Christian (Virgo), would halfway joke about checking on a new prospective employee's astrological sign.

No one is scared in my little slice of the world.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:36 AM

13,630 posts, read 22,257,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How about you? Does Astrology scare you at times?
No. I don't believe in astrology. Although I did say this to someone who I didn't know practiced it, and she replied "That's because you're a Leo. Leo's never believe anything has power over them."

Which was funny, because I am a Leo. Didn't make me believe, either.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:09 PM

5,720 posts, read 5,917,059 times
The only thing about astrology that's scary is that some people actually believe that the ludicrous malarkey has some bearing upon reality.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:44 PM

19,345 posts, read 14,826,704 times
I don't know one person that wouldn't want a free reading! Scared? Of what?

Pretty insecure and filled with fear, I guess....poor things.

I have asked people what sign they are for 44 years...the similarities are so profound...
I can just meet someone and know what sign they are...example...every
Taurus male has been gentle, a lover of women, artistic in their field,
neat, orderly,beautiful delicate hands, and so polite and grateful..
.always sending a thank you ...and
poetic? I'll say...or maybe they express their love of something through musical composition, same thing as poetry in my book.

Now if someone here says they are not this way...I would just think
that 5 planets, say, were on 'the other side' influencing the Taurus adversely.

Since people think it is BS they don't understand the 'whole picture'.

Also, all one has to do is watch 'The Star of Bethlehem' you tube to see
the Universe runs like CLOCKWORK!!!

(It demonstrated where things were, not just that Star, by using
Kepler's equations that NASA still uses that allows them to pinpoint a craft 10 years in the future to land on a moving comet, those equations!....the Crucifixion, John on Patmos, etc....and where the stars were.)
Wowsa, big eye opener....for doubters into science...but watch, those doubters
won't bother to watch.
LOL, they never bother...doubters pretty much are doubters ....and people that are open to change are the learners and growers.
Please, prove me wrong.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:41 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,739,973 times
Those who discredit astrology have likely never done any extensive study of the system.
And those who are afraid of it are in the same lack of understanding boat.
Having a scientist father, I learned about hypothesis, observation, and the methods that go into determining the likelihood of certain effects and causation.
This was how I approached astrology when I started learning about it.
If the majority of sources said planet A in sign B was inclined towards action C, I would find such a placement in some own chart and see if it rang true or not.
More often than not....it would reflect that characteristic in a person. When it did not, there was always a hard aspect (square, opposition, etc) in the mix.

Astrology is a system that has been around for hundreds even thousands of years. That is A LOT of observation and recording of cause and effect.
I trust astrology more than I do the drugs the FDA approves.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:58 PM

7,493 posts, read 10,553,398 times
I don't think people are scared of it, they just don't put much stock into it. I myself know astrology is not the end-all, be-all of people's personalities, but it's pretty uncanny to me nevertheless.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:58 PM

19,345 posts, read 14,826,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I trust astrology more than I do the drugs the FDA approves.
That's a good one!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.