Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:56 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Is Mark S. going to read the book
Only if I have to in Purgatory.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:29 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,861 times
How about reading the book and having a reasoned discussion about it?

Old 02-08-2015, 06:26 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,861 times
It's interesting how you always characterize evangelicals as rabid "anti-Catholics" as though being critical of the Catholic church has no justification whatsoever. The whole institution is benign and without fault, I guess. It's as though the violent opposition and suppression over the centuries never happened, and those Christians who wanted nothing more than follow the teachings of Christ based on Scripture rather than the Catholic church's pagan-tainted interpretation. For centuries the Catholic church used war, violence, persecution, fear and intimidation to enforce their power and control over Christ's teachings. Of course when Christians discuss the workings of the Catholic church, the criticisms are going to be forthright and to some may come across as being too harsh. Trust me the last thing that most evangelicals want is to be distracted by the never-ending melodrama that is the Vatican. I'm interested in what else you have to say, but I think you've made it clear enough that you disdain evangelicals - so just the content of the book, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Your first couple of posts you came out swinging against me - and you were the one who started with the negative comments about Roman Catholics. In short, it sure looks like you're the one who derailed this thread.

I have purchased the book in question (goodbye, my beloved $10 bill) and am on chapter two at present. The book introduction is by Charles "Chuck" Missner, bible prophecizer extraordinaire and sometimes plagiarizer. Who one chooses for the introduction and preface to a work says much about a book's intended audience. He writes in the intro, "Many of us have traditionally regarded the Roman Catholic church as the most exclusive club on the Earth. Now we find it reaching out to be among the most inclusive: even Islam is embraced! (Yet the anathemas against Protestants still stand.)" Nah, they're not about RC bashing at all. And they're definitely not marketing to evangelical Prots with a burr intheir saddle about the Beast of Rome at all.

What I've read so far is mildly entertaining, and about as factual as an episode of Ancient Aliens. Will post more when I get further into it.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:40 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
This topic has veered off the rails... please remember, this is the unexplained mysteries and paranormal forum -- religious stuff NOT APPROPRIATE here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal