Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:32 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
It's just utter nonsense to assume everyone born within a 4.3-wk period is exactly the same.
Are you saying astrology does that? It does not. Just a few minutes will change things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 12:57 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Are you saying astrology does that? It does not. Just a few minutes will change things.
Sorry? I don't understand your query. I agree & was stating exactly what you just stated here. Maybe you should reread my previous post.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:13 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,369,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
The study of astrology takes years and is much too complex to explain in a public forum.
Quote:
That information would fill a 400 page book.
Adumbrate the basics for me. There are several subjects from evolution to the nature of black holes that can, and does, fill multiple books of 100s of pages each. Yet one can still adumbrate the kinds of evidence and support that exists for the subject, and the nature of that evidence.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:12 AM

664 posts, read 806,707 times
As far as astrological signs and personal traits, I would say absolutely yes.

I believe that at an atomic level, we are -- all of us -- and our surroundings -- from our bodies to our hamburgers to our widescreen TVs to our cars and homes to the planet and the surrounding solar systems -- made up ultimately of ENERGY. And we are inter-connected to everyone and everything. And the energy, therefore, is constantly changing in ebbs and flows with every movement.

Therefore, would it be too much of a leap to suggest that an infant, born under a particular zodiac sign, on a particular day of the year, when the sun was here and the moon was there, and Saturn was wherever, that the positions of those heavenly bodies -- and the resulting ebb and flow of their energies -- could have had a profound effect on that fetus during its development during those particular months of the year?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:52 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,369,717 times
I think that to be quite a leap yes.

You would have to first suggest and then evidence a mechanism of influence between energy in one location and energy in another location. One such effect we know of, for example, is gravity. This is where energy manifesting as mass, influences with a measurable force other manifestations of mass.

What we know of gravity however is that the influence of one mass on another reduces with not just distance, but the square of the distance between those masses. And hence the influence of even a planet in our own solar system as a force is minute, let alone the influence of planets or suns outside that space.

Second, were you to suggest and evidence the existence of some form of energy influence, you would then have to suggest and evidence how mere influence has a specific effect, for example on the development of human personality. It would not be enough to say X influences Y if in fact the claim being made is specifically X influences Y with effect Z. So even showing an X-Y link does not warrant a simple assumptive jump to Z.

This would be like me claiming that a force on a car changes the direction of the car.... and then simply declaring that this also changes how the internal operations of the combustion proceed. It is a massive leap to show an influence of X on Y.... to then simply declaring a seemingly unconnected effect Z.

So you ask is it a leap? Yes I think it is. A large one, for many reasons, the main two of which I have laid out above.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:24 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
I believe that your astrological sign has a strong correlation with when you celebrate your birthday.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:56 AM

101 posts, read 100,035 times
Quote:
For a more in depth, but not near complete report of your natal chart, go to astro.com.
Enter your birth info and find the personality report. They also have other types of reports like relationships, composite, etc.
These reports are based on the whole chart, not just your sun sign.
Astro.com is owned by a Swiss Company (Astrodienst) which was founded by astrologer Alois Treindle.
The company's claim to fame is that "... it is the most accurate astrological program to date."
The program is based on computer input supplied by another astrologer; Lois Rodden. Her Rodden Rating System is the boiler plate system of analysis for modern day astrologers.

Alois Treindle has since partnered with another astrologer; Liz Green (yes, the same Liz Greene who is still trying to figure out when and how she received her Phd. in Psychology or was it History)? Read her "unauthorized biography" if you get a chance; very entertaining.

According to fellow astrologer; Michael McDonald; Book of Life.org (2011) "...most of his (Treindl); entries on historical biographies comes from bias, spotted, and outright propagandic entries. McDonald further postulates "...Astrodienst is not about the astrological community but a cash call for Treindl."

It seems that Astro-com and Astrodienst are further examples of cold reading and the Barnum Effect.. A computer program is nothing more than the material you throw (input) into it.
"garbage in-garbage out"

Astrology and Astro.com; very scary.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:16 AM

101 posts, read 100,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Read the last column and a half of the last page of the article I linked. The methodology used n the experiment was developed and approved with input from astrologers ... And it demonstrated that natal charts were no better than chance at predicting personality traits. In short, natal charts appear to have as much reliability and validity as reading the entrails of chickens.
In Astrology we would expect that the proportion of successful "hits" to be greater than pure chance. To date a total of 54 studies (examples upon request( (and still counting) has demonstrated through the examination of 742 astrologers and their 1407 birth charts the average success rate was no different than expected by chance. (about 10%-15%).

I am not sure how this correlates with the "chicken entrail" prognostications.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:33 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Read the last column and a half of the last page of the article I linked. The methodology used n the experiment was developed and approved with input from astrologers ... And it demonstrated that natal charts were no better than chance at predicting personality traits. In short, natal charts appear to have as much reliability and validity as reading the entrails of chickens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Astrology is great!
The problem is not with astrology, but with astrologers: they don't know what they are talking about!
Most astrologers are just like gossip columnists. Unless you sit down with a real one that will plot your charts accurately and give you some real insights.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,145 times
No, but I do believe that being born at a certain time of year is likely to lead to certain attitudes and behavior patterns later in life. It has more to do with climate and its effect on parents and surroundings, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal