U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,890 times

Advertisements

Ok. So I have a story about a strange and unexplained encounter that took place in SW Indiana. Specifically the west side of Evansville.
It was during the summer of 1989 and I was 14 at the time. Some friends and I spent our days riding our bikes all over the west side of the city. We were told about some trails that ran through the woods that sat behind a brick block company a short ride away so decided to go there. We were also told that strange things have taken place in those woods, but we decided to go anyway. It was the middle of the day after all.
We rode the trails and explored the area then went on our way without incident. As we sat around talking we decided to go back that night and see what we could see.
A few hours after dark we met up and made our way towards the woods. I had a nice bb gun I brought with me slung on my back and was dressed in camo because I liked to dress for the occasion.
There were 4 of us and we rode up the entryway of the brick company, hiding our bikes in the shadows next to a building. There was a single lane, gravel road that lead back behind the company towards the woods and we walked along that road. Once we got back roughly a 100 to 150 yards down the path we saw a fire down in the woods, maybe another 200 feet to our left in a low clearing. We ducked down behind a stack of stones that acted as a wall along the left side of the path.
I witnessed what appeared to be a group of people in long robes and hoods standing around the fire. One guy got spooked and made his way back towards the building where we hid our bikes. The others and myself stayed a few minutes more then decided to get the heck out of there. But that's not even the half of it.
We quickly and quietly walked back towards the building, but before we got there we ran into the other guy standing in the middle of the gravel path with a alarming look on his face. We stood there talking about what we had just seen when one noticed something in a large shrub only a few feet from us. It appeared to be two small, glowing blue eyes a few inches off the ground and only two inches or so apart. I looked at them a moment or two. The other guys wanted to get away, but I said it's probably just a raccoon and in a attempt to scare it away I raised my bb gun, aimed between the eyes and pulled the trigger.
Rather than a cry of pain and the eyes scurrying off as I expected, it made absolutely no sound and the eyes only got brighter, bigger and started moving together in a clockwise motion. As they did so the distance between them grew, transitioning from blue to yellow to orange and rose higher and higher off the ground. That is, the smaller blue eyes were only a few inches off the ground, the yellow about a foot off the ground and the orange two feet. At no time did the shrub move or rustle with the movement of these strange eyes.
We didn't wait around for the eyes to turn red or get any further off the ground. We ran as fast as we could, terrified, back to our bikes and rode away. Never stopping, never looking back.
Although we ran around together that whole summer and had known each other for a while that was the last night we did. We all went our separate ways and I've never seen those guys since.
I've only told this to a few close friends and a few family members in all this time. I only share it now in hopes someone has experienced something similar either there or elsewhere or can offer a explanation to what it was we witnessed that night.
I told my great uncle about it later that summer and he seemed to have a idea what I was talking about. Said he knew some people and he would relay my story to them. I never heard anything back about it. It was never mentioned again and I have no clue as to just who these people were he said he knew.
I honestly just want a answer that makes some kind of sense of this.

Last edited by Bdubs415; 02-04-2015 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 01:24 PM

10,367 posts, read 12,493,700 times
Well it sounds like an you stumbled onto an occult ceremony. Perhaps they called up something into the woods as you arrived. You mention you went your separate ways after. This is common among young teenagers but it's usually more gradual.There was no more talk of it when you got back to a safe place in the neighborhood? Did you look into the history of the area? There may be some answers there in public records or past news reports.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:46 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,587,785 times
Sounds like something pagan, or similar was going on. Evansville is something else, the city is nice, yall show do have a lot of corn and soybeans, seemed like an okay place. I spent a weekend there last fall, with my girlfriend, she had got intouch with her biological mother, and they invited us to the family reunion. I want to get a car so we can go back more often. I had never been to an IGA before. I had never seen her so happy before, and she is the spitting image of her mother.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,890 times
There had been a sort of urban legend about the woods being haunted. I believe that I went straight home when we fled. I didn't make attempts to contact those guys and none of them ever contacted me. A few years later those woods were bulldozed and a subdivision of houses sit in the location today.
I honestly never thought to research the area or learn about it's history. For the most part just moved on and didn't dwell on it. Think I may start.
Corn and soybeans. Yeah no shortage there. This actually took place what could be considered in the city but on the edge. No agricultural activities for miles around. Now if people had been using the area for these activities for decades or even centuries then I would say it would've been out of town and away from prying eyes. As it was, it was a relatively small patch of woods behind a cinder block company with houses on either side. Big enough to give you the sense of being out in nature, but not sprawling. I got the impression that the land belonged to the block company since it was directly behind their main building and yard. They also had a storage building back there on the other side of the road we walked on. The brush encounter took place very near that storage building. Just behind it and to the side.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:48 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,587,785 times
Not everyone goes so far out of their way just to do a ritual. Friends of mine have done small ones in this one cemetary downtown, the name escapes me at the moment, but colonol sanders is buried there. That patch may have been a good sacred space or something.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 212 times
I am currently looking for info about paranormal events on the westside of Evansville and came across this story. Very intriguing. Please comment again. I have some questions. Thanks!

Old 11-10-2018, 07:36 PM

2,075 posts, read 479,771 times
This sounds a lot like where I used to live in Upstate NY. A lot of people do not know this, but in the woods, there are long, low brick walls, and stone circles, said to be made by Native Americans. Sometimes strange feelings are in these woods. I remember now back to my boyhood.. New York woods in the fall on a nice clear day are so nice. Alllllll sorts of animals.

At night can get downright really scary, my neighbors used to prank me by making sounds in the woods. Not funny at all.

What you describe reminds me of Blair Witch mixed with Paranormal Activity. Probably calling up spirits. Letting them manifest on earth realm. Not good. Not sure if they stay, go back.. Bad entities exist. I don't know how it all works but Witchcraft is under the umbrella of Satan, people that say "Why would God do this" deny that there is an equal (almost) and opposing force in this creation that is to EVIL. Scary stuff.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:51 PM

29 posts, read 3,787 times
Low brick walls and stone circles are not good to mess with.

People with robes...eyes that go clockwise... My first guess is a circus-like show, and the acrobatic raccoons got out of their cages.

I did see a similar scene in Arizona (minus the eyes), but it was some people getting together in a park for a sword fight re-enactment. My little cousins saw the samurai costumes, yelled, "Ninja Turtles!" and sat together on a log, enjoying the show.

I saw glowing eyes once, under a different context. I was re-cabling an old jail. This work entailed pulling out all the old 50-pair telco wires and installing fiber optics and cat5 cables. There were only two of us working in that building, and even though it was daytime, it was spooky inside. We were in the attic with only flashlights for illumination. My coworker was about 50 yards away (on top of the old main holding area) pulling out old cable when red eyes appeared. I shined my flashlight on the eyes, and I wondered if it was a rat. The eyes were almost vertical (think of a person leaning over sideways to look through a vertical slot). Dismissing it as a rat, I continued working. Later, I spoke with the janitor, asking if the jail was haunted. He said, "No, there is nothing here. I've been here at 4 in the morning, and there is nothing. It's not haunted. It's safe." I felt relieved and finished the project. A month later, when people were moving back in, I saw this Catholic lady open a small bottle, wet her finger and draw a cross on the door leading to the main holding area. I asked her why she did that, and she told me that that room is haunted. She told me that something dark and foggy comes through that door and hovers over her. I thought about the red eyes I saw and chose not to tell her about it.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:31 AM

4,066 posts, read 1,816,940 times
Well obviously, you stumbled on a Pagan ritual of some sort; possibly Druid.

That isn't entirely uncommon; my ex-MIL had been a Wiccan priestess in a long-established coven in Illinois before coming to Colorado & the proximity to Manitou made it easy for her to resume her rituals (at one time; Manitou Springs was considered the occult capital of the U.S.).

The glowing eyes ... could it possibly have been the phenomena of Foxfire? It's caused by certain species of fungi found in decaying wood & is also known as " bioluminescence". I'm just wondering since you shot towards it with your BB gun if maybe it scattered it & seemed to be spreading.

I've never seen it, myself; we are way too high & dry in Colorado, probably. If it wasn't that, the paranormal explanation would likely center on the presence of spirit, possibly malevolent, maybe demonic. Glowing blue eyes are thought to be associated with magic that calls upon water-based deities, Orange signifies fire & is thought to occur in werewolves while in human form & yellow indicates agitation, sometimes a sun deity.

Most pagan rituals are not about conjuring but I suppose when you open that door ...who knows?

Old 11-14-2018, 08:23 PM

5,505 posts, read 6,460,622 times
A four-year dead thread started by a two-post wonder who disappeared only three weeks after starting it, revived by a one-post wonder and people are responding like it's current. Does no one notice this stuff? Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or