Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:21 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,287 times

Advertisements

I was watching a TV show about it and left me confused about this old art of fortune telling. It seems to be a very old art that goes all the way back to the ancient indian/buddhist writings. But also prominent in the western civilization.

What's your opinion about this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 07:34 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
What's your opinion about this topic?
It's superstitious nonsense.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:29 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Palmistry began in India, spread to the east and west from there.
Palmistry is part of the Hindu practices and has been so for thousands of years. The Hidue religion has 4 major and one minor, 'life assignments'. Depending upon your family, your birth date and other things such as palmistry, that determine what a person is 'born to do' as it falls into the place into society. So for the Hindu, it is an integral part of life and culture that is in place to keep order.

I have not deeply studied palmistry but know people who do. Very interesting.
I once had a stranger ask if she could read my palm and what she saw in my hand was completely on the mark.

While some may consider it total superstition or complete nonsense, there is something to be said about the accuracy that comes about when palms are read.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
It works on the same principle as the "cold read." A "palm reader" could probably "read" any stranger's palm, and most of us could take that "reading" and exclaim "Wow, that's so true" for ourselves.

There are so many tricks and techniques that seem amazing on the surface but have simple explanations.

I routinely perform some amazing card "tricks" that just seem impossible - some of the tricks don't even involve me touching the cards (the amazed volunteer performs the trick at my direction). Needless to say, I'm not allowed to play cards at the friendly neighborhood poker parties.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:35 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,923 times
Of course there are cold readers in every metaphysical type profession. This does not mean everyone who does this type of work is a cold reader. I have had my "palm" read by a person who merely asked for a scan of my palm, and it was accurate. This person did not know me, didn't even know my last name or where I lived, and had no way to cold read me.

It is ignorant to assume that everyone who has a true intuitive or psychic gift or ability is somehow a fraud. Just as with the medical profession, car dealers, etc., there are frauds and there are people who work hard and are ethical.

As Edward Payson put it: "No one will be at the trouble of counterfeiting, either what does not exist, or what is of no value. No one will make false stones or false dust, though many make false pearls and diamonds. If there were no real money, there would be no counterfeit."

Old 03-18-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
...It is ignorant to assume that everyone who has a true intuitive or psychic gift or ability is somehow a fraud...
LOL - got to the name-calling pretty quick. Who said anything about intuitive or psychic abilities? I just don't think anyone can tell me about my life by looking at the lines on my palms. The reader always uses the same "cold reading" techniques - and a few more techniques available because they are touching a physical part of your body that relays your reactions.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:31 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL - got to the name-calling pretty quick. Who said anything about intuitive or psychic abilities? I just don't think anyone can tell me about my life by looking at the lines on my palms. The reader always uses the same "cold reading" techniques - and a few more techniques available because they are touching a physical part of your body that relays your reactions.
I see no name calling, bit sensitive are we?

While there are cold readers, I can't see how the person who read my palm could have known what she saw in my hand. There is nothing about my appearance or demeanor that says I had two serious long term relationships and another one on the way - which just four months later I met the person I am with today. That was over 10 years ago. Not to mention, she knew how many children I had.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:00 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
I had mine done by a customer. She really liked me. My life was in a turmoil, but I felt we had passed through the worst. Although I wasn't a sharer, co-workers knew our marriage was in trouble. So she could have known.

She told me that I thought my troubles were over. But -- they weren't. In a few months it would get worse but I had to have faith, and hold on tight.

No matter what.

She was right, and I'm glad I listened.

And whether or not it's crapola, it felt good to have someone tell me it was going to be okay, because at that time, I was running on faith alone....

Old 03-18-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
...And whether or not it's crapola, it felt good to have someone tell me it was going to be okay, because at that time, I was running on faith alone....
I understand - sometimes you just need to recharge your "batteries" and that energy can come from any number of sources.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:40 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
One time, for a lark, I took a correspondence course in the paranormal. I just thought it would be awesome to have a certificate hanging on my wall.
One of the modules was about palmistry. I had actually believed a bit in palmistry but studying it for real left me cold. I found NO correspondence to my real life in my palm- and this is nearly 15 years later- nothing corresponded.
However, I DID find that astrology was eerily accurate. NOPE, sun signs are really pretty silly and are about as specific as race or sex, really. Tells you very little. But doing a natal chart, its shocking. It gets VERY specific, and it left me feeling that there was alot more to astrology than I had ever dreamed. Again, tho, this is going deeper, and you can't really see just how accurate it is if you are not willing to put in some time drawing your natal chart. I don't blame those who aren't believers. Horoscope columns are worded to appeal to just about anyone. They are not nor can they be specific.

But palmistry- I find it silly, despite its provenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal