U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 03:22 AM

19,388 posts, read 18,519,913 times

Advertisements

Many years ago, when my brother was working in Morocco, the Peace Corps, he finally, finally got to town to shop, eat, anything and everything. At the end of the day, he went to a bar to have a couple of beers. Wonder of wonders, he sat next to an American. This was not a tourist destination. After a while, my brother asked where he was from. Georgetown. It's not the one that comes to most people's minds. It's a tiny township next to Wilkes-Barre, PA. My family lived there.

My brother met a guy from Georgetown in a small town in a dive bar in Morocco. I can't touch that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 10:07 PM

4,002 posts, read 5,026,647 times
Add to the weird things that happen with me...

Daughter was visiting me from out of state. We went to a store that has discount groceries, not a typical store. I saw something on the shelf that I had seen on a show a few years ago and showed it to my daughter just because I was surprised to see it there (there was just one)..

She left the next day. She calls me up the following day and says "Mom, you won't believe it, that company emailed me and wants to know about my services!" She does demo work. Freaky stuff like this happens all the time to me, but it never ceases to amaze me (or scare me, depending on what it is) Crossing my fingers the company will use her services!!!

Old 09-13-2017, 11:45 PM

64,683 posts, read 54,297,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
A coincidence along those lines? My husband is one of three boys. First boy, dark blonde hair, blue eyes. second (hubby) Dark brown hair, brown eyes. Both of them are very like parents. Third one? Green eyes, red hair. They joked it was the milkman's kid. One day, there was a huge snowfall and milkman was really late....flaming red hair.

They stopped making that joke.

Both parents have a long ago relative on each side -- think great grandparent or great grand uncle, who had red hair...but grandmas had to remember. Took a while and one of those family dinners.
Another way you can sometimes tell who's carrying the gene for red hair is if someone has freckles and sunburns easily, and maybe has hazel eyes, and/or brown hair with a little red mixed in. Those latent red-hair genes sometimes show tell-tale signs.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:50 PM

10,309 posts, read 3,524,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Another way you can sometimes tell who's carrying the gene for red hair is if someone has freckles and sunburns easily, and maybe has hazel eyes, and/or brown hair with a little red mixed in. Those latent red-hair genes sometimes show tell-tale signs.
Actually I had red hair until I was 13. My son still does and my mother before she died did as well. I have brown eyes and don't sunburn particularly easily. I do have freckles. And red hair over my arms and legs. So probably right.

And for the benefit of someone who posted a rather rude "reputation comment" I was kidding before when I said I thought it was coincidence.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:15 PM

9,811 posts, read 9,109,494 times
My weirdest coincidence is posting about the BF creatures and to be so surprised by some people choosing it as a hill to die on in denying the existence. I was warned of this and it has came true.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:21 PM
Status: "Pay close attention to people who don't clap when you win." (set 28 days ago)

1,256 posts, read 280,273 times
I'm enjoying this thread so much. MANY things have happened in my lifetime.

• A bird hitting a window and dying always preceded a phone call telling us a loved one had died.
• Thinking of a song just before it came on the radio, or thinking about someone just before they called.
• Several times, thinking about someone I hadn't seen or thought of for years, then learning a few days later they died.
• 11:11 ALL THE TIME (but not sure what it's supposed to mean)
• Had a dream that Star Jones announced she was leaving "The View", saw the next morning on the news that she did just that.
• Strong, out of the blue inclinations to pray about something specific, miraculous answers soon follow.
• I "know" things about people that I have no way of knowing. I can look at photographs and tell if the person is deceased.
• I can read people and get strong feelings if someone is a bad person. They almost always prove me right.

The saddest coincidence (I don't believe in them) happened when I was 11. I was in 6th grade and had the job of bus patrol for the kindergarteners. It was a Thursday afternoon, I lined all of the kids up and stood waiting by them. One boy caught my eye. I felt like I knew him from somewhere, or recognized him, but couldn't figure out how I knew him. I didn't know his name, just stared at him trying to remember. The next day I went to school, nothing out of the ordinary happened ... but when I got home my mom was sitting in the living room, she was crying. She said some friends of hers had a fire in their home that morning and they lost their 3 boys, 3 year old twins and a 6 year old. She told me their names, but it didn't sound familiar to me. Later that evening it hit me. That's how I knew that little boy, from camping the previous summer. I remembered the twins, too. That day as I stared into his little brown eyes I had no idea he had hours to live and I would never see him again.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Status: "Pay close attention to people who don't clap when you win." (set 28 days ago)

1,256 posts, read 280,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susannah14 View Post
When I was about 14 years old, I picked up the phone to call my best friend, Christine, on the landline. I punched in her number (correctly). A voice answered but it didn't sound like her mom.
"Hi is Christine there?" I said.
"Ummmm. Who's this?" I said my name. The voice said, "Oh hi, okay here she is."
So my friend comes on the line. I started talking to her and something is off...it didn't sound quite like her and she didn't seem to know about anything I was talking about. Eventually I said "Who ARE you?"
And she said, "Christina." (My friend's name was Christine.)
"Christina who?"
"Your COUSIN Christina, duh!"
So I'm thinking, how did this happen?! I dialed my Bff's Christine's number and got my cousin's house?? Turns out, my aunt had called our house the SPLIT second before I picked up the phone to dial, thus I answered the phone, she heard all the beeps of me dialing, then said "hello??" and I proceeded to ask for "Christine" which sounded to her like "Christina". I always thought how weird that was, because the timing had to be so perfect for that to happen.

Another weird one- This was earlier this year. Loaded all the groceries and both kids in the car and then climbed in the front seat, turned on the car, and just sat there texting someone. It struck me how weird it felt to be sitting in the car with the engine running and no seat belt on. It's second nature for me to have a seat belt on and for some reason I just hadn't done it immediately (I messed with my phone first). I kept thinking about that and I thought, I hope there aren't any cops walking through this parking lot doing a seat belt audit (I didn't even know if that was a thing they did, but my husband's work does it to their employees.) So I finished up with my phone, put on my seat belt and drove away. No joke, the very first traffic circle after leaving the parking lot, there were two cops standing in the middle of the circle- one cop was looking cars and flagging them down for not wearing seat belts, and the other cop was writing them tickets. These cops were not there when I drove in, and I've NEVER witnessed that before.
This just reminded me of something a few years ago. I had to run a quick errand and thought about not bothering to grab my wallet and license ... I've never driven without my license before, never been pulled over, never had a ticket, but I always take my license. Just that that day I was in a hurry and rationalized that I wouldn't be gone long, I didn't want to bother with it. Something ... something in my gut told me to grab the wallet ... so I did. Heading into the "rough" neighborhood where I needed to go was a massive police blockade/sting. They weren't letting anyone in or out without ID. I would have been arrested for driving without a license.

Last edited by SouthernProper; 09-23-2017 at 07:17 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 08:56 AM

3,775 posts, read 3,316,800 times
^^^^^Southern^^^^ Just an FYI, If you are a licensed driver, but just don't have the license on you at the time, they will just cite you. They won't arrest you unless you've done something more to justify it. Way too much paperwork to arrest someone for that.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:11 AM

10,309 posts, read 3,524,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
This just reminded me of something a few years ago. I had to run a quick errand and thought about not bothering to grab my wallet and license ... I've never driven without my license before, never been pulled over, never had a ticket, but I always take my license. Just that that day I was in a hurry and rationalized that I wouldn't be gone long, I didn't want to bother with it. Something ... something in my gut told me to grab the wallet ... so I did. Heading into the "rough" neighborhood where I needed to go was a massive police blockade/sting. They weren't letting anyone in or out without ID. I would have been arrested for driving without a license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
^^^^^Southern^^^^ Just an FYI, If you are a licensed driver, but just don't have the license on you at the time, they will just cite you. They won't arrest you unless you've done something more to justify it. Way too much paperwork to arrest someone for that.
I agree about arrest being unlikely since they can look it up but you may not have gotten where you were going through the ID check. I keep an expired license in my glove compartment just in case.

Also when people were still writing checks I memorized New York's then long number which for me was G127**-***83-1626**-57. Once when cashing a check the recipient was taking a long time writing down the license number. I said "come on" and reeled off the number. I was 17 at the time. He was amazed and I told him if he didn't have the number memorized by New Year (which was 1-1-1975) he could be deemed drunk and incarcerated. He believed me for a moment. Ironically now that checks are not really used much I have more trouble memorizing the nine-digit number.

But take my tip; keep an old license in the car. That way they can run the number and see that it's still good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal