U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in Faeries?
I do! I do! 11 30.56%
I like the stories. 8 22.22%
I don't have experience with them. 3 8.33%
It's pure fiction. Where is the supporting evidence? 16 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:30 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,569,440 times

Advertisements

I have "Seeing Fairies" by Marjorie T. Johnson on my iPad, and it's a lot of fun to read a story or two when I have some spare time (though it's not something I'd want to read front to back in a sitting). Available on Amazon for those who enjoy such things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 07:01 PM

3,978 posts, read 3,813,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post

It seems in every culture but the USA there is some kind of folklore about magical creatures and other realms.

What are you talking about???? We got Bigfoot, Jersey Devil, etc.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:25 PM

16,279 posts, read 13,110,619 times
Well, I've had a theory, I've been kicking around since I was just a little colt, that beings/races , particularly Dwarves and Elves, used to live right alongside humans. Like Tolkeins world. It would be interesting to do some digging into what the "anomolous" DNA kicking around in we humans actually is. Where some of the wild physical feature and even abilities that pop up , came from.

Oh, I'm not saying there's actually anything to this theory, or that science COULD actually dig anything more up in our genomes. I doubt that anyone has ever looked in that direction though. If they did, maybe there's a mystery that could prove thought provoking. If nothing else, it would be a fun ...investigation.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:46 AM

15,980 posts, read 12,111,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
What are you talking about???? We got Bigfoot, Jersey Devil, etc.
This is the first I've heard of this, had to look it up. Thank you.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
What do you think of the Jersey Devil?

Here is William Shatner talking about the Jersey Devil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K26XMh7t7Yo

Old 04-25-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Here is a whole documentary about the Jersey Devil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grsW-yhdEzQ

Old 04-26-2015, 09:29 AM

5,578 posts, read 4,008,826 times
I got photos of fairies.

A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away), I wrote a children's story about fairies. I wanted to get it published but never did-because I know it is so hard to get published. Over the years, I kept revisiting the story but never really did anything with it. Then I decided I wanted to do something with it for my grandchildren BEFORE they were too old for the story. I decided to self publish it. I wanted to find an artist who could illustrate it for me but I didn't have much luck. Since I like to refer to myself as an amateur photographer, I decided to photograph the fairies. These are two of the seven of the fairies that I photographed. After the story was polished and the photos were done, I took it to a print shop and made up about 25 copies (not just for the grandkids but for my sibs, nieces/nephews, cousins, and a few close friends). I gave the grandkids each a copy of the book for Christmas.

My husband & sister-in-law suggested doing a sequel. I'm thinking about it.

Cat

Old 04-27-2015, 03:48 AM

16,279 posts, read 13,110,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I got photos of fairies.

A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away), I wrote a children's story about fairies. I wanted to get it published but never did-because I know it is so hard to get published. Over the years, I kept revisiting the story but never really did anything with it. Then I decided I wanted to do something with it for my grandchildren BEFORE they were too old for the story. I decided to self publish it. I wanted to find an artist who could illustrate it for me but I didn't have much luck. Since I like to refer to myself as an amateur photographer, I decided to photograph the fairies. These are two of the seven of the fairies that I photographed. After the story was polished and the photos were done, I took it to a print shop and made up about 25 copies (not just for the grandkids but for my sibs, nieces/nephews, cousins, and a few close friends). I gave the grandkids each a copy of the book for Christmas.

My husband & sister-in-law suggested doing a sequel. I'm thinking about it.

Cat
That is massive cool. Lol. I have a lot of writing I'v e done over time I would like to do something like this with. Some of it about the faerie folk as well.looks like a fun story.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:06 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,482,272 times
Like someone else mentioned Native Americans do have stories of "little people".

I do believe there might be something to this. I do wonder if one reason people long ago would see these magical creatures is because people would go into the woods and eat mushrooms and plants, and some of those might have been responsible for these sightings, but that does not mean the sightings were not real. There are so much similarities with stories from people all around the world, that even if these sighting were due to hallucinogenic plants/mushrooms, they could have been due to these plants just opening up a part of our self to be able to see the magic that truly exists. Or maybe plants/mushrooms had nothing to do with these sightings, and they just happened.

There is another theory and I will post in a little bit.

Last edited by ashleynj; 05-04-2015 at 11:18 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 11:11 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,482,272 times
Many years ago a friend sent me this:

AN HISTORICAL OVERVIEW OF THE WHEREABOUTS OF GNOMES AND ELVES, FAUNS AND FAERIES, GOBLINS, OGRES, TROLLS AND BOGIES, NYMPHS, SPRITES AND DRYADS, PAST AND PRESENT

"An Historical Overview of the Whereabouts of Gnomes and Elves ..." by Buck Young
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal