Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 09:24 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times

Advertisements

Lexus Nexus -
Quote:
if this sort of thing were real, our government would have millions of uses for it.
What makes you think they are not? The Russians have been investigating all kinds of phenomena, psychic, ESP, telekenesis, and US governments have been using remote viewing for years. It is all similar 'woo' stuff which is not really mainstream science but probably has a military use for those sick-minded little darlings.

Quote:
The few people I know who swear by mediums, are New Agers struggling with more or more mental disorders. They both are delusional about their spirituality and gullible.
New Agers are not the only ones who are delusional and gullible so there is nothing new there. Every belief system, even yours, is just that - a belief system. Look elsewhere until you know in your heart and after that you dont need any external religion or belief system.

I have been a spiritualist and, just like many on here are christians, we are all convinced that our way is the best way for us and hope those we love will find what we have found too.

Mediums are embedded in the spiritualist movement and I have probably seen more than most who just go to church and receive messages from 'dear departed'. I became disillusioned with the political issues which happen in every group and every religion so I left and followed my own heart.

It is my belief now that everyone should follow their own heart and follow their own Internal Voice rather than follow and consult with others who are just doing what we should be doing ourselves.

Most religions are control organisations extracting money and power in the form of sad needy worshipers who have a requirement to look-up to someone else rather than finding their own power and self assuredness from inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 08:16 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
I love getting y fortune told but dont think I've ever been to someone who was legit (assuming that there are some).

On the occasion I do it I do it for entertainment(every 4 or 5 years say). I mean come on. Its the only time when someone is focused on me, its all about me, guilt free.

For about 4 or 5 years in the 90s I went to a beach boardwalk physic in Rehobeth DE. Always the same woman. She always told me the same thing, I was going to have 4 or 5 kids etc. The last time I was already hitting 40 and never married. I looked at her and said, you've been telling me this for years don't you think its getting a little late? She said, well you could marry someone with 4 or 5 kids. Good save lady! 58 now, never happened.

A couple of times though I ran into people who told me there was "something bad" and I needed to keep coming to them for help in dealing with it or getting rid of it or something. Took all the fun out of it. No that I wouldn't be open to bad news if it were real (and I wouldn't be surprised if I had some sort of psychic black cloud), and getting some sort of help but it just seemed like a scare tactic scam.

Still, though I'm there for entertainment, I'm always a little disappointed when they dont have real answers for me. I would love to find a "real" one who would tell me things to improve what's left of my life.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:36 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

A couple of times though I ran into people who told me there was "something bad" and I needed to keep coming to them for help in dealing with it or getting rid of it or something. Took all the fun out of it. No that I wouldn't be open to bad news if it were real (and I wouldn't be surprised if I had some sort of psychic black cloud), and getting some sort of help but it just seemed like a scare tactic scam.
That's the sign of a fake right there.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:33 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
My wife does tarot readings for fun. She never charges and also only does a reading once or twice a year. She still uses a book to help describe the meaning of a card, but she often "picks up stuff" surrounding a reader. In every reading she has been able to pickup specific stuff like "your house is going to be broken into" or "your ex-wife blah blah blah..... uh, I'm still married"

When she first started reading cards in her early 20s, the girls at the office would bug her for readings every day and it got to the point where they wouldn't make any move at all without first consulting with her. After a while, these girls would look at my then girl friend reverently like they were so amazed to even know her. She pretty much stopped reading for the girls in the office when she told an aspiring singer to look for other hobbies because she wasn't going to get famous singing. Of course, the singer couldn't take the advice and got upset and made a big deal out of it.

In all the years, she could never read for me or family because it was just too close for her to get any "vibes".

People would come back to her months or even years after a reading and say, "you were right, but I had no idea what your were talking about back then"

Old 06-30-2015, 08:24 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Apparently, there ARE people who have negative attachments in their fields and these attachments can be pretty persistent. So, I dont think that it is necessarily a sign of a bad medium. What are the mediums supposed to do? Tell those people who have attachments or let them go on with their lives having negative experiences and negative self-talk happen all the time? I think it all depends on why we go to mediums and what we want out of the trip.

Many people can read energy fields if we let them. This could be described as psychic I suppose since it is not a normal sense but an 'extra' one which has been developed in particular people. However, I think those people who are reading energy fields should make it clear that the information is coming from the client and not from some other external being.

For some reason we give information coming from external entities as somehow more reliable or more 'true' than information sensed by ourselves. This is ridiculous really as no-one would go up to a guy in the street and ask them for a reading but that is what is happening - some guy-in-the-street spirit entity is giving you, the client, a reading. Who knows you better than you know yourself?

At this stage, we really dont know how the Universe works and how future events "pan out". Are the future events set in stone or are they able to be changed? If they are, then we are working with probabilities at best which means that any prediction is going to be a high percentage wrong.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:50 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
Ok, so I have a question/comment and would like to see replies.

Somehow my DVR recorded an episode of Long Island Medium and I watched it.
Outside of her annoying voice, I found her readings to be rather interesting. She knew things about the people she was reading - of their loved ones - and she stated that she does this as a way of helping to have the living heal from the passing of the deceased.

I've also been watching - and very much appreciating - the People vs O.J. Simpson.
If someone was murdered, and the family member of the person killed were to call on a medium, wouldn't that help to identify who the murderer was? And would any of the things that the 'dead' person said be admissible in court?

Things that make you say, 'hummmm.....'

Old 03-10-2016, 03:16 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
I really doubt the court thing would fly. Until mediumship is scientifically proven, it would not be deemed as viable information. And even if it was, it could still be considered hearsay as the information is being dispenced by a third party.
Now if that dead person could let the medium in on the whereabouts of physical evidence that law enforcement can use, that's a different story.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:49 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Lexus Nexus -
What makes you think they are not? The Russians have been investigating all kinds of phenomena, psychic, ESP, telekenesis, and US governments have been using remote viewing for years. It is all similar 'woo' stuff which is not really mainstream science but probably has a military use for those sick-minded little darlings.
US Governments? How many are there?

Using it for years? They tried in the past but it does not work so they abandoned it.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:02 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Ok, so I have a question/comment and would like to see replies.

Somehow my DVR recorded an episode of Long Island Medium and I watched it.
Outside of her annoying voice, I found her readings to be rather interesting. She knew things about the people she was reading - of their loved ones - and she stated that she does this as a way of helping to have the living heal from the passing of the deceased.

I've also been watching - and very much appreciating - the People vs O.J. Simpson.
If someone was murdered, and the family member of the person killed were to call on a medium, wouldn't that help to identify who the murderer was? And would any of the things that the 'dead' person said be admissible in court?

Things that make you say, 'hummmm.....'
Sometimes they can identify who the perpetrator was, but they still would need concrete evidence. "Deceased Nicole said so" isn't enough. Or "the killer who left his victim half-buried in the woods was X because the medium spoke to the deceased victim...." won't cut it. Though I think there have been rare cases where someone was identified that way, and later evidence was found clinching it.

One reason that doesn't happen more often is that a true, bona-fide medium is rare, very rare.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:25 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sometimes they can identify who the perpetrator was, but they still would need concrete evidence. "Deceased Nicole said so" isn't enough. Or "the killer who left his victim half-buried in the woods was X because the medium spoke to the deceased victim...." won't cut it. Though I think there have been rare cases where someone was identified that way, and later evidence was found clinching it.

One reason that doesn't happen more often is that a true, bona-fide medium is rare, very rare.

You mean like guesses?

‘Long Island Medium’ Theresa Caputo’s Tour Sales Are Slumping | Radar Online

Long Island Medium Theresa Caputo branded 'fake' by private investigator | Daily Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal