U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 11:08 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,306,056 times

Advertisements

full title: The Nature of the Beast: The First Genetic Evidence on the Survival of Apemen, Yeti, Bigfoot and Other Mysterious Creatures into Modern Times

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/144...bliograph0c-20

*I've read some of the few reviews out there and it seems that the book isn't all that it claims to be. Here are a few relevant webpages...

Overview of the controversy:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/mace-lab/debunking/stories

Publisher's webpage:
https://www.hodder.co.uk/Books/detai...=9781444791259

DNA Test Suggests Russian Apewoman Zana Was Truly A Yeti
DNA Test Suggests Russian Apewoman Zana Was Truly A Yeti : SCIENCE : Tech Times
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 09:17 AM

12,201 posts, read 11,510,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
full title: The Nature of the Beast: The First Genetic Evidence on the Survival of Apemen, Yeti, Bigfoot and Other Mysterious Creatures into Modern Times

The Nature of the Beast: The First Genetic Evidence on the Survival of Apemen, Yeti, Bigfoot and Other Mysterious Creatures into Modern Times: Bryan Sykes: 9781444791259: Amazon.com: Books

*I've read some of the few reviews out there and it seems that the book isn't all that it claims to be. Here are a few relevant webpages...

Overview of the controversy:

Publisher's webpage:
https://www.hodder.co.uk/Books/detai...=9781444791259

DNA Test Suggests Russian Apewoman Zana Was Truly A Yeti
DNA Test Suggests Russian Apewoman Zana Was Truly A Yeti : SCIENCE : Tech Times

Melba Ketchum is considered to be a nut and has been discredited by many.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:20 AM

15,921 posts, read 18,339,151 times
Hmm, looking at Syke's resume it seems his credo's are a lie:

Quote:
The Sunday Times subsequently reported that the Institute of Genetics at Oxford University, which Sykes had used as his affiliation for the Royal Society article, did not exist.
Here's another eye-opener about this looney:

Quote:
In 1997 Professor Bryan Sykes of Oxford University claimed to have obtained mitochondrial DNA sequences from Cheddar man, Britain’s oldest complete skeleton. The Mesolithic remains were found in Gough's Cave in Cheddar Gorge, Somerset, and now reside in the Natural History Museum in London. Results were obtained for hypervariable region 1, and a DNA match was found with a local man Adrian Targett. The story was reported in a number of newspapers at that time including The Independent and the Los Angeles Times. The story of the DNA testing of Cheddar Man was subsequently recounted in Chapter 12 of Sykes’ book The Seven Daughters of Eve (Bantam Press, 2001). Significantly, however, the research has never been published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:22 AM

15,921 posts, read 18,339,151 times
BTW OP, the link you posted to Amazon and your statement:

Quote:
*I've read some of the few reviews out there and it seems that the book isn't all that it claims to be.
I followed the link, there is exactly 1 (one) review. Since when does 1 (one) equate to a few?

Old 05-06-2015, 11:44 AM

There are also seven on the amazon.co.uk listing for the book. Sorry, i should have made this more clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
BTW OP, the link you posted to Amazon and your statement:

I followed the link, there is exactly 1 (one) review. Since when does 1 (one) equate to a few?

Old 05-06-2015, 06:22 PM

87,832 posts, read 81,589,805 times
Quote:
There are also seven on the amazon.co.uk listing for the book. Sorry, i should have made this more clear.
So, OP, are you saying Sykes is a charlatan? Does that mean his books on Brit DNA are invalid?

Old 05-06-2015, 06:37 PM

Uh, no -- I'm saying that the reviews for this new book are claiming that the book isn't living up to what it claims to reveal.

I have read much of Seven Daughters and personally I find his writing fluffish and overly speculative.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Uh, no -- I'm saying that the reviews for this new book are claiming that the book isn't living up to what it claims to reveal.

I have read much of Seven Daughters and personally I find his writing fluffish and overly speculative.
Oh, I guess it wasn't you. Someone else posted this:

The Sunday Times subsequently reported that the Institute of Genetics at Oxford University, which Sykes had used as his affiliation for the Royal Society article, did not exist.

Have you read Stephen Oppenheimer's book on Brit DNA?

Old 05-07-2015, 08:03 AM

That wasn't me. I haven't read Oppenheimer's book, but after starting the thread I decided to or Sykes' "Saxons, Vikings, and Celts".

Old 05-07-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
That wasn't me. I haven't read Oppenheimer's book, but after starting the thread I decided to or Sykes' "Saxons, Vikings, and Celts".
Well, I've read somewhere that Oppenheimer's book is now obsolete, as more and more becomes known about DNA analysis. (There have been some challenges to his thesis that part of the Isles were populated by sea migrants from the Iberian Peninsula.) That would probably be true about Sykes' work, too. It's time someone wrote on the topic with the more refined knowledge that researchers now have about how to interpret DNA. But I was curious how you'd compare Sykes' books to Oppenheimer's, since there seems to be some question about Sykes' qualifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal