U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2015, 12:26 AM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
11,152 posts, read 9,515,550 times
Reputation: 5855

Advertisements

When I do, I always hallucinate a black spider. It looks so realistic. I always tend to see it crawling on the white ceiling. At times it looks like a hologram or "computer generated". It's a spectacular sight.

The thing is, I'm not afraid of spiders, but I just wonder why I hallucinate them when I woke up? I don't think I've hallucinated other things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2015, 10:24 AM
 
6,007 posts, read 3,817,530 times
Reputation: 14380
Maybe you have eye "floaters" and your brain hasn't fully snapped awake yet? You process the spots as being spiders, perhaps. I've opened my eyes in the morning and seen the spinning blades of my ceiling fan. My brain might process them as something other than what they really are. It's weird what our brains do to us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 08:39 PM
 
3,887 posts, read 1,812,063 times
Reputation: 4076
It's called Sleep Paralysis. My brother use to have it and there is something in your brain that doesn't shut off completely from dreaming. I've had it happen to me several times and both scary.

Do You Have Waking Nightmares?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 02:11 AM
 
Location: Illinois
4,754 posts, read 4,708,003 times
Reputation: 12940
Hypnogogic/Hypnopompic hallucinations. Explained very much in my life when I finally found out what was happening.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,794 posts, read 4,508,037 times
Reputation: 11002
Hypnogogic hallucinations occur when you're falling asleep, hypnopompic hallucinations when you're waking. I used to experience both from time to time until the age of seven or so. Never had either as an adult.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Illinois
4,754 posts, read 4,708,003 times
Reputation: 12940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Hypnogogic hallucinations occur when you're falling asleep, hypnopompic hallucinations when you're waking. I used to experience both from time to time until the age of seven or so. Never had either as an adult.
I've had both my whole life, combined with occasional sleep paralysis. They can absolutely continue into adulthood. Sometimes it can be a recurring hallucination, like the OP, or a new one every time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 08:19 PM
 
15,921 posts, read 18,354,354 times
Reputation: 7660
I don't think I'm hallucinating but I do see tons of floaties some of which look like spiders others look like strands of DNA...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2015, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
11,152 posts, read 9,515,550 times
Reputation: 5855
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I've had both my whole life, combined with occasional sleep paralysis. They can absolutely continue into adulthood. Sometimes it can be a recurring hallucination, like the OP, or a new one every time.
I noticed that they occur when I'm severely depressed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2015, 11:32 AM
 
1,638 posts, read 3,474,546 times
Reputation: 3489
I have sleep paralysis. I do often hallucinate, but usually it's just a ball of light. For awhile I was seeing "red spiderwebs" and I realized it was the back of my eye I was seeing (don't ask me how!) I often feel very frightened and disoriented when this happens.

I'm glad it's not full on hallucinations of things, or the old hag syndrome. Because that sounds terrifying!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2015, 01:07 AM
 
11,142 posts, read 9,007,896 times
Reputation: 18298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
When I do, I always hallucinate a black spider. It looks so realistic. I always tend to see it crawling on the white ceiling. At times it looks like a hologram or "computer generated". It's a spectacular sight.

The thing is, I'm not afraid of spiders, but I just wonder why I hallucinate them when I woke up? I don't think I've hallucinated other things.
90% chance it's a floater, 8% chance it's an hallucination, 2% chance it's a real spider.
OK, I made those up but pretty much sure it's a floater.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top