Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 07:45 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Kids have not been conditioned as much as adults to tune out intuition.
Only in an adults mind does fear of the unknown equal intuition...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 07:59 PM

24,108 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
LOL - I just read the prior responses to this thread and realize my other post in this sub-forum is likely to get hammered with criticism. I had no idea there were so many fear-driven religious zealots frequenting this sub-forum!

I come from a place without fear and have taught my children to do so as well. There are plenty of well documented ways to bless a home or other location with the simple use of burning herbs, incense, candles, and/or simple prayer. None of it is rocket science and I've done these things to my homes if for no other reason than to cleanse the space within which I live. Does it work? I know it does for me (100% positive). In terms of also blessing your children, friends, or other family members, similar things can be done. Most of all, teach them to live without fear or shame, too many adults have Shadows originating from childhood fears or shame following them around. These Shadows are such life destroyers, we would do well to discourage their formation. There's a book called "The Shadow Effect" by Deepak Chopra that addresses this concept well... and there are dozens of other books by different authors of various religious backgrounds that also use this term to describe the same thing.

I disagree that the OP or most of the people on this thread are "fear-driven religious zealots". Every once in a while, a born again Christian wanders on to this sub forum, as do closed minded skeptics. I am certainly am not either.

However, fortunately both are in the minority.

I think house blessings are nice. Actually, that was what I suggested up thread.

While I agree that it is toxic to carry shame lingering from traumatic childhood events, into adulthood, that isn't what the OP was inquiring about. "The Shadow Effect" sounds like an interesting concept, for those who are psychologically haunted and oppressed by unpleasant events.

The Ouija board is not a toy, and I would never use one. Ever again.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:21 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Only in an adults mind does fear of the unknown equal intuition...
Not at all. Fear of anything is just fear.

Your intuition would know better.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:42 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
[url="http://www.city-data.com/forum/unexplained-mysteries-paranormal/2376171-how-protect-kids-paranormal.html"]Teach them early about this nonsense.
Had to rep you Charles for the lol, though, I don't agree paranormal to be nonsense.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
teach them to avoid politicians, its too big a mystery on why what comes out their mouths doesnt match what their hands are doing... is that a paranormal event if it happens enough?

Old 06-04-2015, 02:10 AM

290 posts, read 259,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Tell them it isn't even real.
Because it isn't.

Done and done.
That is probably the worst approach that you could take. Do you honestly think that people like Sheena and myself came to the conclusion that "it is real" lightly??

Old 06-04-2015, 07:19 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent hypnotist View Post
That is probably the worst approach that you could take. Do you honestly think that people like Sheena and myself came to the conclusion that "it is real" lightly??
When one comes from a place of strongly held believe (or non-belief in this example), no amount of pressure to get them to understand your point of view will work. It's best to just live by example in that situation as trying to be a teacher won't be received well (they aren't ready to be a student).

For my children... I told them of my own experiences, those of my friends and family (as told to me) and then told them these are just perspectives. I haven't seen a demon or ghost or alien physically materialize out of nothing (Hollywood style) however I have had miracle experiences and felt things originating from my mind that are as real as anything can be.

Is it worth your time to give into fear and curl up under your blankets when alone at night? Hell no! Or when walking down basement stairs into an unlit space it does no good to fear something jumping out to get you... nothing is there that can hurt you physically (and you are hurting yourself mentally if you give in to the fear).

I look at something like the Ouija board as a tool, just as you can look at other divination paraphernalia. It's not something I would get for entertainment purposes, it's something I would rather see children taught about properly or not brought into the home at all.

I repeat though, there's nothing to fear regarding these things, just know that when parents tell their children not to do something without good explanation, they tend to develop an attraction to it manifesting as curiosity. As a child I was told Dungeons & Dragons was "Satanic" and likewise anything regarding Witches... as soon as I could I researched "the hell" out of those things! I'm glad I did, I have learned a lot in the 30+ years since researching similar things.

Last edited by belovenow; 06-04-2015 at 07:35 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 08:03 AM

24,108 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent hypnotist View Post
It's OK. I'd hate to be unaware of other dimensions, and realities. Sometimes it can be scary - but it's generally interesting.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:46 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
When one comes from a place of strongly held believe (or non-belief in this example), no amount of pressure to get them to understand your point of view will work. It's best to just live by example in that situation as trying to be a teacher won't be received well (they aren't ready to be a student).

For my children... I told them of my own experiences, those of my friends and family (as told to me) and then told them these are just perspectives. I haven't seen a demon or ghost or alien physically materialize out of nothing (Hollywood style) however I have had miracle experiences and felt things originating from my mind that are as real as anything can be.

Is it worth your time to give into fear and curl up under your blankets when alone at night? Hell no! Or when walking down basement stairs into an unlit space it does no good to fear something jumping out to get you... nothing is there that can hurt you physically (and you are hurting yourself mentally if you give in to the fear).

I look at something like the Ouija board as a tool, just as you can look at other divination paraphernalia. It's not something I would get for entertainment purposes, it's something I would rather see children taught about properly or not brought into the home at all.

I repeat though, there's nothing to fear regarding these things, just know that when parents tell their children not to do something without good explanation, they tend to develop an attraction to it manifesting as curiosity. As a child I was told Dungeons & Dragons was "Satanic" and likewise anything regarding Witches... as soon as I could I researched "the hell" out of those things! I'm glad I did, I have learned a lot in the 30+ years since researching similar things.
Excellent post.
Society has us in a state of fear, over all kinds of things. Fear is weakening and unhealthy.
Caution is wonderful and a good thing to have.
But fear will only hurt in the end.

I have used oujia boards and other talking spirit boards and never had a bad session or pulled a demon from the depths of hell. But I also never thought that anything like that would happen, and I was never afraid.

Madam Currie said that we fear most the things we do not understand- thus, education and knowledge is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal