Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 3,269 times

Advertisements

I have watched documentaries and information on "extinct animals that still may roam the Earth" and people in Africa, by the Congo Basin have seen a branchiosaurous like creature that lives in the water and comes out to eat off the trees. I don't know if it's true or not, some people say that Nature makes it impossible now, but in science anything is possible. Is this true or not?

Last edited by Hammyandnature; 05-25-2015 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Grammar errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 12:45 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,749,785 times
I have read that there are stories that these animals can still be found in some parts of Africa, but so far it seems no one has been able to find proof.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:47 PM

102,071 posts, read 107,036,480 times
If there's one, there would have to be two. And if there were a pair, there would have to be more, to prevent in-breeding, and also, the pair would produce offspring. That many brachiosauruses would be impossible to keep concealed from scientific discovery.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-25-2015 at 01:55 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 01:50 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,904,546 times
You probably mean mokele-mbembe:

Mokele-mbembe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In many cultures, you see a blurring of the line between spirit animals and physical animals. Thus, you have dragons as well as bulls and lions on the Ishtar Gate in Babylon; dragons in much Chinese art; and so on. This makes it difficult I think when you look at stories like mokele-mbembe or sasquatch to determine whether you're dealing with a flesh and blood creature or a "spirit" creature; certainly in native American lore sasquatch appears as both. In Australian aboriginal myth, you have dreamtime creatures like the rainbow snake or the minka bird).

The Chinese legends of dragons may be inspired by the discovery of dinosaur bones, which were used I believe in traditional medicine. As Mircea Eliade pointed out, many cultures refer to things that happened "in illo tempore", which means back in the time of legends and gods (or "way back when" if you like). The boundary between mythical reality and everyday reality is often understood to be more porous than it is for many post-Enlightenment moderns.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:01 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,514,864 times
Yeah, it's actually quite common these sighting... most people refer them as "birds".

Old 05-26-2015, 04:02 AM

6,901 posts, read 6,805,905 times
You also have to ask yourself whether science is supreme and whether if modern science says that there is no proof, then thats it, it cannot be. Unfortunately our world is run on money and when there is no money in investigating something, then people will investigate it themselves with pseudo-science. There are so many subjects which need investigating, but unfortunately, there is no money available (read: "profit") to pay the scientists.

Governments can and do investigate things, but they keep most of the discoveries for themselves in case it can be useful for weapons or military purposes.

Anyone who investigates anything sensitive and who finds out anything interesting will either get closed down and threatened or swallowed up by the government. Thats life at the moment.

If you investigate something for yourelf, it is better to keep it to yourself perhaps. There are many stories of inventors such as Tesla being hounded by the authorities.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
You also have to ask yourself whether science is supreme ... Anyone who investigates anything sensitive and who finds out anything interesting will either get closed down and threatened or swallowed up by the government. Thats life at the moment. ... If you investigate something for yourelf, it is better to keep it to yourself perhaps. There are many stories of inventors such as Tesla being hounded by the authorities.
What exactly does all of that have to do with the subject of the post?

I think a lot of people here have been watching old X-Files episodes on Hulu, mistaking them for documentaries.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If there's one, there would have to be two. And if there were a pair, there would have to be more, to prevent in-breeding, and also, the pair would produce offspring. That many brachiosauruses would be impossible to keep concealed from scientific discovery.
"When inbreeding effects are included, estimates of MVP for many species are in the thousands. Based on a meta-analysis of reported values in the literature for many species, Traill et al. reported a median MVP of 4,169 individuals."

from: Minimum viable population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note that this applies to mokele-mbembe, various lake monsters, bigfoot, and all the other cryptids out there.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:29 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,210,909 times
Actually, as I type this I see a T-rex. Of course I'm kind of watching Jurassic Park but still some moron could say there is a T-rex in my living room!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 PM

22,849 posts, read 28,091,495 times
I see dinosaurs all the time. Here's a pic of a yummy one:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal