U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 03:02 PM

550 posts, read 557,862 times

Advertisements

There are no unanswered questions. It was a US Air Force surveillance balloon.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 03:35 PM

1,684 posts, read 537,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I did extensive research on the Roswell incident and I believe it did occur. I live in southern NM. Read the book "The Day After Roswell". Also read the book "The Aztec Incident": it is a well researched book about the little known UFO crash in Aztec NM. People I know who are older and lived in Roswell are adamant that the UFO crash did occur there.
I also heard that from a credible former area resident.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:20 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,276,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I loved the X Files and will watch the new ones. I believe there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. But...

We have not observed anything that requires FTL travel to explain. We have not really proven time to be a dimension that can ever be crossed. I believe in the block time theory; matter only exists in the present. The rate at which matter is aging as it enters the future can be affected by relative speeds; an electron circling an atom might make more or less orbits as one at the same temperature but moving at a different speed. So what? Anyway, all this taken together means that I think even highly advanced civilizations would still be restricted to travel at a fraction of light speed. We have only been emitting meaningful radio waves for a century or so; it's only slightly likely that any other civilization even knows we are here yet and they almost certainly haven't had time to decide to come and get here. If it ever does happen, I think it is likely to be a large ship that has been traveling for years.

I agree with you on the theory of time -- I don't believe it really "exists" in the linear sense of past, present, future, and I think advanced civilizations see us as we see apes (to use a simple metaphor).

I don't think the Roswell incident was from another galaxy or universe because if it were, scientists the world over would have been on this, and we would all know as much as possible about it instead of it remaining this big "secret." I really don't believe the government thinks all the denizens of our planet will lose their minds and go crazy over bona fide wreckage of a transporter from another universe. I think keeping this incident such a "big secret" makes for a lot of good conspiracy theories, which makes for a lot of good business and $$$$.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:15 AM

19,170 posts, read 22,860,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
I also heard that from a credible former area resident.
I grew up in and around Roswell. I never met anyone there who believed there was any government cover up or UFO crash, and once the locals knew you weren't a tourist, they were more than happy to laugh at all the tourists going to the UFO museum. In fact, up until The X-Files hit, most residents in town barely knew about the supposed UFO crash.

However, everyone in town could tell you that Demi Moore was born in Roswell.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:27 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,103,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I grew up in and around Roswell. I never met anyone there who believed there was any government cover up or UFO crash, and once the locals knew you weren't a tourist, they were more than happy to laugh at all the tourists going to the UFO museum. In fact, up until The X-Files hit, most residents in town barely knew about the supposed UFO crash.

Okay, so to you're saying that nobody you ever met knew about the cover-up, and they were far more "into" things like Demi Moore (sorta like Kardashian followers, today). That might explain why they didn't know or care about a possible cover-up.

I also get a chuckle that those same low-info people were laughing at others who are paying admission to get into a museum. Those same tourists were also helping them pay their taxes ... and I guess, allowing them to have the time to care about Demi.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:49 PM

97 posts, read 77,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
quote:
Chase Brandon, an agent who served 25 years with the CIA, recently claimed that information relating to the crash had been concealed in a hidden vault within the agency's Langley headquarters.
'It was not a weather balloon - it was what people first reported,' he said. 'It was a craft that did not come from this planet.'
[LEFT]
Read more: Roswell incident: There were TWO UFO crashes at Roswell, says former Air Force official | Daily Mail Online

(or maybe he was texting or looking at the gps on his iPhone while flying... yuk-yuk-yuk)
[/LEFT]
Lt. Col. Richard French who made the claims about 2 crashes at Roswell can't be taken very seriously. He claims that a highly advanced pulse weapon fired from an experimental plane shot down one of the ET craft.........when asked why it was covered up, he says it was because we had no weapons against these alien craft!

Lots more discrepancies surrounding French can be found here:

A Different Perspective: Richard French, UFOs and Roswell

Emanresu, you are correct something did crash in Roswell and it was covered up as a weather balloon crash...............but it wasn't an ET craft...........it was a Moghul balloon, a top secret balloon specifically designed to detect atomic explosions that the soviets might be testing............. a Moghul balloon went adrift and headed towards Roswell on the same day as the alleged ET crash.........coincidence.....I think not!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:07 AM

19,170 posts, read 22,860,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Okay, so to you're saying that nobody you ever met knew about the cover-up, and they were far more "into" things like Demi Moore (sorta like Kardashian followers, today).
Yep. Only the names change from generation to generation.

Quote:
That might explain why they didn't know or care about a possible cover-up.
Or, there was no alien spacecraft might also explain it.

Quote:
I also get a chuckle that those same low-info people were laughing at others who are paying admission to get into a museum. Those same tourists were also helping them pay their taxes ... and I guess, allowing them to have the time to care about Demi.
True enough, I suppose. I've never done the research, but I don't think the UFO Museum is a huge source of revenue. The one time I went in, I was the only one in there. My boss went in on a sunny summer Saturday, and he said the only other person in there was a young guy with a video camera, who asked him, "When was your last visitation?"

Roswell certainly capitalizes on the UFO schtick. But it isn't like it's a million dollar industry or anything. I suspect the UFO Parade is due mostly to the Chamber of Commerce who wants to get lots of people out on the streets to buy snacks, food, and tee shirts from local businesses. It's fun, but I don't think anyone takes it very seriously.

Official Roswell, NM UFO Festival

Old 07-24-2015, 03:51 PM

11,139 posts, read 8,992,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
There are no unanswered questions. It was a US Air Force surveillance balloon.
^^^^

I LOVE a good conspiracy theory. I believe JFK's killing was a CIA/Mafia/RightWing conspiracy.
I believe Bigfoot exists.

I believe in UFO's as interdimensional and/or extraterrestial events.
I visited Roswell 2 years ago, I had looked forward to it for years. I was convinced it was the holy grail of UFO sites.
The more I saw and read and researched there, the more skeptical I became.

When I returned home from that trip, I finally read the full-length Roswell Report - all 990 illustrated pages. I resolved to keep an open mind. It took me a few months to read it all.
Often I would print out pages to make highlights and comparisons and to check against the original sources. It's meticulously sourced and annotated, and I'm a (retired) professional librarian so know how to obtain access to primary sources (long story short: microfilm obtained via Interlibrary Loans).

My conclusion: The Roswell UFO was absolutely a government surveillance balloon, specifically a Project Mogul
balloon train as depicted on pages 991-993 of the report. No doubt in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klambo View Post
........... a Moghul balloon went adrift and headed towards Roswell on the same day as the alleged ET crash.........coincidence.....I think not!
The alleged "alien" bodies were crash test dummy type mannequins used in high altitude balloon experiments throughout the years. These mannequins contained sensitive sensors that recorded valuable data. When they returned to the ground, sometimes in actual crashes, they were quickly retrieved and because of their human shape were lifted and transported much like a body would be. There are pictures, specs, records, etc. about these in the report. None were involved with the Mogul balloon train that was retrieved in the initial Roswell event. Persons who witnessed the retrievals weren't asked about them until many years later. They confused their dates and their reports merged with the Mogul balloon wreckage to create the Roswell myth.

The Roswell Report doesn't dismiss any of the reports, articles, witness accounts, etc. It treats them all with great respect and slowly shows how a number of unrelated events combined with how memory tends to fade and distort over time led folks in the late 1960s to genuinely misremember events that had happened 20 years earlier.
It's an impressive document, fascinating to read. I fully intend to read it again. Anyone who has the least interest in Roswell can't knowledgeably comment unless they've read it.

So I still believe in extraterrestrial UFO's (I witnessed an impressive event in 1966) but I don't believe one landed in Roswell in the 1940s.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 07-24-2015 at 04:22 PM..

Old 07-25-2015, 10:16 AM

17,057 posts, read 22,372,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I grew up in and around Roswell. I never met anyone there who believed there was any government cover up or UFO crash, and once the locals knew you weren't a tourist, they were more than happy to laugh at all the tourists going to the UFO museum. In fact, up until The X-Files hit, most residents in town barely knew about the supposed UFO crash. A few pro football players were born and raised there, a couple that comes to mind is CBS commentator and Philadelphia Eagle Tom Brookshier. Another is former Denver Bronco Paul Smith.

Yep! So was tennis pro Nancy Lopez, in fact she has a elementary school named after her. (was raised there but was born in California.) There are a few other celebrities, one who grew up there for a time IIRC is singer songwriter John Denver.

One of Roswell's problems, actually a big problem, is their economy. In the early 60's I rode down to Roswell with my older brother as one of his close friends put in a lot of time at Walker Air Force Base. When it closed in the mid 1960's, the economy took a shellacking for a long time. Over the last decade or two, a number of manufacturing plants closed their doors and moved out of the country, a couple that come to mind is the Levi Plant and a factory that made and shipped parts, engines, etc. for passenger buses such as Greyhound (the specific company name escapes me.)

Southeast New Mexico is without a doubt wide open spaces, pretty remote from big cities. It's around 220 miles from Albuquerque, close to the same distance to El Paso and Midland/Odessa, Texas.

The area rode the UFO stuff for quite some time; a lot of restaurants and various small businesses opened up. But over the years IMO that novelty has kind of worn off, though there are still some restaurants with a UFO type of theme to it.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:50 AM

11,139 posts, read 8,992,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
One of Roswell's problems, actually a big problem, is their economy. In the early 60's I rode down to Roswell with my older brother as one of his close friends put in a lot of time at Walker Air Force Base. When it closed in the mid 1960's, the economy took a shellacking for a long time. Over the last decade or two, a number of manufacturing plants closed their doors and moved out of the country, a couple that come to mind is the Levi Plant and a factory that made and shipped parts, engines, etc. for passenger buses such as Greyhound (the specific company name escapes me.)

Southeast New Mexico is without a doubt wide open spaces, pretty remote from big cities. It's around 220 miles from Albuquerque, close to the same distance to El Paso and Midland/Odessa, Texas.

The area rode the UFO stuff for quite some time; a lot of restaurants and various small businesses opened up. But over the years IMO that novelty has kind of worn off, though there are still some restaurants with a UFO type of theme to it.
That wasn't my experience at all.
When I visited Roswell in the summer of 2013, I was surprised by what a hustle-bustle prosperous place it appeared to be.
There seemed to be a sizeable government - local, state, county, federal, military - presence, along with all the economic benefits those bring.
Granted I had just driven through so many NM ghost towns that in comparison Roswell was a metropolis. Also it was my first visit so I had nothing previous with which to compare it.
I had no problems finding restaurants, albeit it none with a UFO theme, thank goodness. I got enought of that silliness in Sedona AZ. I was impressed by all the Roswell amentities. Kudos especially to the Roswell Public Library staff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal