U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 10:51 PM

12,445 posts, read 12,452,297 times

Advertisements

If folks think they have such uncanny powers as causing street lights to spontaneously turn off, then why don't the freakin' lights in their houses also turn off?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 11:47 PM

6,307 posts, read 5,567,440 times
Those old street lights are on light sensitive switches ( photo electric cells.
Dusk and dawn switches is all they are , and when your head lights hit the switch, it opens the circuit shutting off the light as though it was morning. After a few seconds of darkness on the Photoelectric cell the circuit closes and the light comes back on ,only that light is shielded from the Photoelectric cell.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:53 PM

7,172 posts, read 3,589,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
If folks think they have such uncanny powers as causing street lights to spontaneously turn off, then why don't the freakin' lights in their houses also turn off?
Different type of lights. Street lights can be turned off by car headlights driving by at certain times (twilight). Others can be turned off by banging on the pole. There is sensitive electronics involved. Not so with mechanically switched home lighting. That doesn't imply paranormal though. if someone had a very shiny head for example, then walking under a street light should turn it off. These things have light sensitive electronic switches sometimes. They may also have ripple signal switches instead of light sensitive switches.

I have a calculator that will beep while off if I touch a metal object with another metal object (that I am holding). It's that sensitive. Nothing paranormal there. There are significant electromagnetic or electrostatic fields around us. Touch a radio aerial and see what happens (sometimes nothing happens). Sometimes just moving your hand around an aerial can cause the signal to fade or strengthen.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Dusk and dawn switches is all they are
Those are the ones.

I've only had lights turning off when they were just about due to turn off in the early morning light. They stay off for the day. It's quite fun driving down a quiet street and all the lights turn off as I pass under them. I think it would be the older design headlights (seal beams) that produce a ring of light at almost ninety degrees to the beam. It's not the headlight beam that does it.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:43 AM

12,445 posts, read 12,452,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Different type of lights...
LOL!!! So, someone who thinks they can turn off street lights just by being near them has "Mercury Vapor Lamp Powers" instead of "Fluorescent Light Powers," or "LED Powers," or "Incandescent Light Powers." Even the simplest events seem like magic when one doesn't understand basic, fundamental principles.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:20 AM

Quote:
LOL!!! So, someone who thinks they can turn off street lights just by being near them has "Mercury Vapor Lamp Powers" instead of "Fluorescent Light Powers," or "LED Powers," or "Incandescent Light Powers." Even the simplest events seem like magic when one doesn't understand basic, fundamental principles.
Well, I should hope not!

All I'm suggesting is that mechanical switching devices cannot be triggered by some unusual fields that might conceivably be generated by some individuals while sensitive electronic devices might, with the emphasis being on 'might'.

The mercury (or sodium) vapor lamp would be controlled by a different device. The fluorescent lamp by a mechanical switch and the street lamp by and electronic device like a photocell. My example of the calculator illustrates the sensitivity of electronic devices. You must have played around with an oscilloscope? Had an electrocardiogram or an electroencephalogram?

I had a finger clip on SATS monitor on me a few years ago - I found I could control my heart rate! I could also bring on a heart palpitation (skipping a heart beat). That was interesting because I was having what seemed like a skipped heart beat but wasn't sure what it was. Then I knew.

My point is that we have fields in and around us like all living things do. Could these fields be so extreme as to influence sensitive electronic devices? I don't know - just wondering.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:51 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,294,443 times
Quote:
I burst out laughing (too loud) when I read this! Just struck me as really funny!!

But I think 303Guy has a good point. Everything in our houses are pretty "grounded." "Different kinds of lights" is right, I think.

I'm still laughing, genuinely funny! Sometimes this section needs a little humour.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:24 AM

18,876 posts, read 11,187,340 times
It's all easily explained.

Jack Lemon's character demonstrated how it was done in the last scene of Bell, Book, and Candle. I have never figured out how they did that booooiiing sound, though.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:57 AM

17,597 posts, read 9,458,813 times
I've never had that experience with street lights but at my old job we were all at the beside performing our various tasks for a new patient and all of a sudden the lights went off in the room leaving us all in total darkness. That room was the only room on the whole floor that had the lights turn off. The light switch was in the off position when someone went back and turned the lights on. That hospital had a lot of strange stories.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:42 PM

15,598 posts, read 36,562,919 times
This happens to me, and usually when I look directly at the light. It's weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal