U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:11 AM

15,598 posts, read 36,499,408 times

Advertisements

Because those of us with such powers, don't get all arrogant with, or advertise these special powers we were blessed with. In fear that those powers might be stripped away. Or something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 12:57 PM

76 posts, read 54,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton08865 View Post
Hi my husband said that the balester in the light gets to hot and the lights power down when the balester gets to hot. oh I said lol its not because of me? he laughted and said sorry its just the balester getting to hot shutting off the light. That is suppose to happen lol
Have you guys read any of Dean Kootz books. It explained all these phenomenon

Old 09-14-2015, 01:57 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,667,850 times
My husband used to live in a woodsy area and we would walk to this bar on Friday night. The walk home always felt creepy at 1 or 2 in the morning. There was this one lone street lamp (seriously, it was the ONLY street lamp on the curvy hilly road) that would always shut off as we walked by. It used to freak me out.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:11 AM

7,072 posts, read 3,534,602 times
Interesting. I wonder what have been causing it? That is baffling. Do you perhaps know of anyone else that it happened to?

Old 09-15-2015, 10:50 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,616,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
My husband used to live in a woodsy area and we would walk to this bar on Friday night. The walk home always felt creepy at 1 or 2 in the morning. There was this one lone street lamp (seriously, it was the ONLY street lamp on the curvy hilly road) that would always shut off as we walked by. It used to freak me out.
Did it always happen when you were in the same place, or would you be in different places when it shut off? Did anything happen to you?

Old 09-15-2015, 10:26 PM

862 posts, read 1,042,485 times
I too have had this experience at times in my life.........usually when I was angry or conflicted. As much as I'd like to believe in latent telekinetic powers, I think that this note from Cecil Adams (the Straight Dope guy) probably explains it best:

The Straight Dope: Can some people extinguish streetlamps by means of their bodily emanations?.

His final words on this subject: "Now, since my contract obliges me to insert at least one fact per column, this word from a top high pressure sodium engineer at General Electric: "It is a combination of coincidence and wishful thinking. … Cycling [on and off] occurs because the [lamp] ballast is only able to sustain an arc with a certain maximum voltage. As high pressure sodium lamps age, their voltage increases as sodium is lost by various chemical processes. [The lamp starts at a low voltage, which climbs to a steady-state value as the lamp warms up.] It is the steady-state voltage that slowly increases with burning hours due to sodium loss. Eventually, the ballast will only be able to start a cold lamp and warm it up to the dropout voltage." Then it goes out until the lamp is cool enough to restart. The GE guy preceded these comments with the note: "Here's one explanation. Space aliens is another." Hmph."

Old 09-23-2015, 10:52 AM

6,485 posts, read 7,545,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
My point is that we have fields in and around us like all living things do. Could these fields be so extreme as to influence sensitive electronic devices? I don't know - just wondering.
The voltage/current potentials in the human body are extremely low. In order to affect an electric/electronic device the body needs to be very near/touching the device, as with touch-activated lamps and heart/brainwave monitors. (This mechanism of action is different from that of the body disrupting a field created by a device such as the one invented by Leon Theremin in 1928 (and a modified version created by Paul Tanner and Bob Whitsell to produce the interesting sound in the Beach Boys song "Good Vibrations").)

RF/EM field strength is a well-known scientific phenomenon that obeys specific laws. The characteristic of particular concern in this matter is the relationship of field-strength to distance, which (if I remember the calculations correctly) is the inverse/square Law. To keep it very simple, if you double the distance from the transmitter the strength of the field decreases by a factor of four.

Turning that around, in order to measure the same field-strength after doubling the distance you would need to increase the transmitted power by four times.

The various gated ion channels (Sodium, Calcium, Potassium, and others) responsible for trans-membranous conduction of electrical potential in the human body operate at very low levels. Take, for example, the channels used to regulate the beating of one's heart- specific drugs affecting these channels are used to help regulate heartbeats of those people with certain irregularities, and do so by making minute changes to the conduction potential of these channels.

Now, given the extremely low potentials in the body, in order to affect an object at even the distance of a body to a streetlight above (for example) the potential within the body would have to be amplified orders of magnitude above the current levels. Attempting to do so would completely disrupt the very sensitive mechanisms, such as your heart, that keep you alive. You would die.

In short, absent an external amplifier and external power source it is simply not possible for the human body/mind to induce an effect in a remote device.

This fun science fact puts the kibosh to the fanciful notions of 'psychokinesis'/'telekinesis', and similar facts relating to the magnetic and gravitational fields of remote stars and planets likewise puts to death the notion of 'astrology' having any validity.

Science is your friend.

Science and education eradicate ignorance and stupidity...well, maybe not stupidity, even duct-tape can't fix stupid (but it can muffle the sound of it ).

Old 09-23-2015, 12:17 PM

7,072 posts, read 3,534,602 times
All true but I have seen (heard and felt) electric sparks jump into (or out of) my fingers. Those sparks can be several millimeters long. Sometimes the discharge from getting out of a car can hurt! This makes me think of the electric eel. All of which has nothing to do with influencing street lights.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:10 PM

6,485 posts, read 7,545,349 times
Quote:
All true but I have seen (heard and felt) electric sparks jump into (or out of) my fingers. Those sparks can be several millimeters long. Sometimes the discharge from getting out of a car can hurt!
Static electricity from friction...and one reason why people fueling their cars in Winter should NOT get back in the car and wait while the tank is filling, no matter how cold they are. If they discharge when they get back out and grab the nozzle they just might go BOOM (and some have).

Old 09-23-2015, 05:57 PM

168 posts, read 225,653 times
Quote:
Is this when approached on foot or driving past? Driving past is nothing mysterious, it's the headlights causing (in the twilight) it but walking past? Why would lights happen to overheat or reach the tipping point just as you walk under them. It would be random if it were that one would think.
It is random, but human minds like to find order where there is none. Walk past 10 streetlights, none go out - the brain doesn't remark on it. Pass another streetlight, it goes out - "Whoa, that went out just as I was passing it! Something's amiss!"

For 2 1/2 years we lived across from a park that was an entire city block - i.e., open, so I could see the streetlights along all 4 sides. Can't tell you how many times one or another would blink off at a random time - there was no cause, other than overheating ballasts or some other random electrical thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal