U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 10:33 AM

7,941 posts, read 6,319,522 times

Advertisements

It is normal for old lamps in the streetlight to cycle on and off just before burning out completely. I used to work for the electric company and that was pretty much the way we knew when to replace them. Now this "just before it burns out" period could last for months. It just means the lamp needs to be replaced and the on/off cycling will end. The explanation regarding the photocell being affected by light could also be true. Sometimes misadjusted headlights can shine high enough to trigger the photocell and turn the light off. The headlights in question could be on a car even if you are walking and a car goes by and triggers it, or if a car goes by on a road that is higher than where you are (up the hill or the next street over, whatever), or even if someone who lives nearby has motion sensor lights that come on and trigger the photocell. The streetlight maintenance department can change the photocell to a timer type or even shield it on one side if necessary to prevent unnecessary triggers. We used to do that all the time.

Between these two normal phenomenon I think most of these occurrences are easily explained. We have a department that investigates electromagnetic interference (EMI) as this is a common source of unexplained electrical occurrences. We found one instance in which a family's TV would turn on/off every time his neighbor used his garage door opener, and another in which a family's lights would dim whenever the neighbor's A/C would cycle on due to an undersized transformer that served both homes. Many people would assume random things like this were due to psychic phenomena when it is easily explainable if properly checked by qualified individuals.

Last edited by TheShadow; 09-27-2015 at 10:42 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 AM

14,060 posts, read 20,296,235 times
This is a perfect example of confirmation bias in this forum. On page one and two a few people mention "slider phenomena" and others mention the natural performance of sodium vapor lights to cycle on and off nearing it's end of life, or due to the built in photocell triggering. So we have people read this thread, totally bypass and ignore the natural explanation, go to the supernatural and extraordinary explanation, and think "yeah, yeah. slider phenomena...I am special, that's me!" I haven't determined if this is sad, funny, or just quaint.

No people, sorry to break it to you - you are not special, you don't have supernatural abilities.
Correlation does not imply causation.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:51 PM

15,598 posts, read 36,504,143 times
Actually, I am special. And, I make street lights go off!

Old 10-03-2015, 12:40 PM

87,982 posts, read 81,852,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

I have a calculator that will beep while off if I touch a metal object with another metal object (that I am holding). It's that sensitive. Nothing paranormal there. There are significant electromagnetic or electrostatic fields around us. Touch a radio aerial and see what happens (sometimes nothing happens). Sometimes just moving your hand around an aerial can cause the signal to fade or strengthen.
This. Having a stronger-than-usual EM field, that causes watches to stop (for example, or a sensitive computer program to crash), isn't a paranormal phenomenon. It's basic science. People used to think electricity was a woo-woo thing until they understood it better. Actually, a lot of people still do thing it's woo-woo, when it relates to the human body's electrical aspects, as evidenced by this thread. Or when it relates to ions in the air. Our education system needs to do a better job of covering basic science.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:02 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,961,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Actually, I am special. And, I make street lights go off!
Me too...lol. If one street light goes off when I drive under it (and it always happens right when I drive under it, never before or after), it's no biggie. If 2 go off, I start to go hmmm. Three, I know something's up...lol.

I've had a transformer blow up right when I passed it - coincidence? I suppose. But still.

Compasses are virtually useless to me...they never point north (or hold a consistent direction) when I hold on to them...lol.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:21 AM

7,077 posts, read 3,538,629 times
Quote:
Compasses are virtually useless to me...they never point north (or hold a consistent direction) when I hold on to them...lol.
It's that bionic arm of yours!

Have you had this investigated? This is most interesting.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:41 AM

12,445 posts, read 12,372,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
...Compasses are virtually useless to me...they never point north (or hold a consistent direction) when I hold on to them...lol.
Like the streetlight thing, that claim NEVER holds up in a controlled test environment. Just wishful thinking and coincidence.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:07 PM

15,598 posts, read 36,504,143 times
Streetlights. I don't question it...I've learned to live with it and smile every time it happens.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:45 AM

7,077 posts, read 3,538,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Like the streetlight thing, that claim NEVER holds up in a controlled test environment. Just wishful thinking and coincidence.
Can one ever really replicate the conditions in a controlled environment?

Well, I'm special too. yesterday morning and this morning I personally turned off a whole sector of streetlights! It was at the same time of morning, light just after dawn. The lights were due to go off at any moment and my headlights tipped the balance. My timing was was just right. Interesting that it didn't happen with the guy before me! We're talking seconds difference. In fact, yesterday morning there were other cars in front of me but my headlights did the deed! I am assuming my headlights shine just that much brighter at the level of the light sensors controlling those particular segments than the other cars. Mind you, yesterday's could have been triggered by one of the other cars - or the sum of our cars.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:25 PM

7,941 posts, read 6,319,522 times
Or maybe your headlights need adjusting. They're not supposed to shine upward, but maybe that's how your car is designed or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal