Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 03:16 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,924 times

Advertisements

I have often wondered that very same thing, jim9251.
And while tongue in cheek (I think?), many of Mark S.'s comments I could agree with. Except the statement that there would be zero reason for them to use lights as a warning to other aircraft (ours presumably)....why not? I just have to believe at least some alien cultures are benevolent beings. I was lucky enough to be one of the thousands of people in the early 1980's who witnessed the Hudson Valley Lights. I had no prior knowledge of them - nothing to give my brain a kind of "subliminal suggestion"....I was driving home from my second-shift job. As I pulled up to the intersection - green for my direction btw, yet not one car was moving - I got out of my car and did what everyone else at that intersection did: stared up transfixed. The craft was huge....I mean football field huge. Hovering just barely above the utility lines, so low you could see the underside of it - you could see the material, whatever it was made of, looked like black rubber. Lots of lights, changing color. No sound....NONE. I don't know how long it had been there before I pulled up, but I stood outside my car staring up at that thing at least two minutes, & the only thing moving on it were the lights; flashing different colors along the rim. And then it just took off. No sound, and it didn't just float off....it streaked off. All of us at that intersection just stood there dumbfounded until cars just pulling up started honking. It made the news, couldn't be debunked or explained. Years later it was part of a prime time news special. Probably the coolest thing I've ever seen....those of us who saw it are in 100% agreement: it was not from our planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 10:41 PM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times
There are many people who believe that the Germans had 'flying saucers' by the end of the war and then took their best people off to somewhere remote like Antarctica. I am not quite sure what to believe in that direction, but... if they did, then 40 years is quite long enough to put a few coloured lights around the edge and come flaunting their technology around.

I know it is an unpupular idea that the Germans did have superior technology at that time in some areas but as they say, truth is stranger than fiction. Research it and see what you think.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:21 AM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Old Guard
Quote:
It makes outrageous claims using cherry picked information and ignores anything that does not support their claims.
When people do that they are not interested in the truth. That is not the scientific method.
As I understand it, cherry picking is picking examples and 'evidence' which suits and supports your beliefs, yet this is what everyone does to try to persuade others that their beliefs are rational.

Science does not have any hands-on evidence for things on Mars because no-one has gone there, so they too are cherry picking at evidence to support their theories.

The wind is a classic example. When something is required to support a theory (eg: rover cleaning events) they point to strong winds, yet when something is required to support another theory (why there are no debris piled up or why spherules are not moved into piles) they point to weak winds which could not possibly move or effect movement of that size object.

Now that is cherry picking.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:30 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
That's not cherry picking, that's trying to make sense of the data. Cherry picking means ignoring data that contradicts your hypothesis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry..._%28fallacy%29

In the case of Mars, if you have winds without a lot of power, they'll be able to move dust particles but not something as large as a spherule. We know the density of the atmosphere, and can calculate the maximum weight object the winds there will be able to lift. Dust storms and dust devils happen; we know that from observation. These storms can't move larger debris around; we know this from the laws of physics.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:11 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Just because people are critical and do not believe everything someone says that they wish to believe does not mean they are haters.

I am interested in aliens and UFO's but that does not mean I have to shut off my mind and believe everything I am told. Ancient Aliens is a good example of this. It is pure garbage and does nothing to further the search for information on aliens or UFO's.

Oh, come on. That was hilarious. Where's your sense of humor?!

Old 11-03-2015, 07:02 AM

122 posts, read 112,348 times
There are many good reasons that the explanation of "flesh and blood aliens in nuts and bolts craft" does not fit the UFO phenomenon. The Extra Terrestrial Hypothesis is not dead within ufology, but it is on life support. One aspect of the UFO phenomenon is that it to some extent seems to feed us what we expect and want - big craft with flashing lights being one of those things. I've been a student of the UFO phenomenon since the early 1960's and had my one and only encounter (daylight disc, no lights) in 1971, and my position on the UFO phenomenon is, It's Not What It Appears to Be, It's Not What We Think It Is, and We Really Have No Idea What It Is.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:17 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bo Pepys View Post
... my position on the UFO phenomenon is, It's Not What It Appears to Be, It's Not What We Think It Is, and We Really Have No Idea What It Is.
Yup. Agreed. I've seen a UFO, with heavy emphasis on the U. Meaning I cannot identify what I saw and have no explanation for it. But I am extremely skeptical of the whole alien hypothesis.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:30 AM

927 posts, read 758,657 times
You should read Tintin Flight 714.
My friend and his sister saw a ufo. He lives rural. It was night and there was a light like an airplane going across then it suddenly shot up at warp speed. He said it was def no airplane and nothing could shoot up that fast. He's the most rational person I've ever met so I know it sounds hard to believe, but all I can say is he is the most rational person I've ever met.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:34 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
You should read Tintin Flight 714.
My friend and his sister saw a ufo. He lives rural. It was night and there was a light like an airplane going across then it suddenly shot up at warp speed. He said it was def no airplane and nothing could shoot up that fast. He's the most rational person I've ever met so I know it sounds hard to believe, but all I can say is he is the most rational person I've ever met.
The fact that so many of these reports mention a craft taking off at a high speed without any sound suggests these aren't flesh and blood craft. A real hunk of metal/whatever displaces a lot of air, and when it breaks the sound barrier (~760mph) you get a sonic boom. i've yet to read a single report of an accelerating UFO causing a sonic boom.

I think that leaves us with a number of possibilities for the eyewitness reports that can't be explained away as misidentifications:

1. They're transdimensional craft
2. They partially dematerialize so they don't disturb the air or the air slips through them
3. They're some sort of projection from within or outside our reality
4. They operate within a different set of physical laws
5. They're entirely psychological in nature
6. They're partially psychological in nature, but there's some external reality behind them
7. They're coming from a "spiritual" realm but can interact to some degree with matter
8. Probably a few others I haven't thought of

The only option that makes sense within the framework of our current scientific understanding of reality is, I think, #5: but that comes with its own difficulties when explaining reports made by multiple/many observers, and reports of sightings that leave physical evidence.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:48 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
There are many people who believe that the Germans had 'flying saucers' by the end of the war and then took their best people off to somewhere remote like Antarctica. I am not quite sure what to believe in that direction, but... if they did, then 40 years is quite long enough to put a few coloured lights around the edge and come flaunting their technology around.

I know it is an unpupular idea that the Germans did have superior technology at that time in some areas but as they say, truth is stranger than fiction. Research it and see what you think.
I do remember hearing that somewhere...maybe another thread on CD? My only thought to that with regards to what I saw is this:
If Germany (or any country on Earth for that matter) had that capability 40 years ago, why haven't they used it since to their advantage? And if they have used it to their advantage, then where is the evidence of that? I've talked with a very few select people thru the years who saw what I saw...we are all convinced that if this craft was made on Earth with human technology, there is no way they would have been able to keep it secret. I also can't imagine we would have any of the world problems we have now - from economic to environmental to war vs peace to medical and beyond - if we were capable of the technology and engineering this craft had to require. There has to be another set of rules both in terms of physics and intellectual, that we haven't even come close to grasping. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal