U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2015, 10:50 PM
 
Location: PRC
4,644 posts, read 4,100,578 times
Reputation: 4141

Advertisements

Why is the South Pole and Antarctica so badly mapped and no detailed photos exist in the public domain?

On the internet the Google map is mainly blurred out, particularly in the middle. There are some photos of the edge pieces though. All this could be because there are fewer satellites which pass over that area of the Earth, however, there are more than enough satellites passing over Earth to get decent images of all areas of the Earth. I guess if we were mounting a polar exploration, we could get maps, and photographs of dangerous ice areas so why not get images in Google?

Personally, the evidence I have seen leads me to firmly believe that aliens are here in our solar system and in fact everywhere out there in space. I also believe they are here on Earth too but mainly in places where humans cannot go due to our relatively frail biology, such as the South Pole. With different biology different environments are possible as habitational places and that is one of their strengths I believe. It also makes it possible to survive in freezing cold space environments much easier than we could ever do.

Of course, a lot of this is total speculation and conjecture, but in my mind it IS strange how we have maps and images of every other areas of Earth but almost total blanks of the poles.

OK, so ice and snow is not sexy like cities and fields but there are still features such as mountains, solitary polar bears, research stations, penguin and seal colonies, and even warm water lakes (in the summer) at the poles which are of interest to some people. In this day and age, there are satellites which are on polar orbits yet we are denied decent photographs of these regions.

What do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2015, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
7,160 posts, read 3,583,661 times
Reputation: 3429
Maybe there is no economic justification to send expensive satellites into polar orbits to obtain those photo's. Not too many people living in those regions.

Last edited by 303Guy; 09-30-2015 at 11:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 12:12 AM
 
Location: PRC
4,644 posts, read 4,100,578 times
Reputation: 4141
haha - plenty of spy satellites up there. What would be the economic justification of photographing the many square miles and miles of desert, but I bet there are images you can zoom in on a camel or a wadi. Show me a satellite image of a penguin colony, that would be interesting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,445 posts, read 12,441,492 times
Reputation: 28309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
...we are denied decent photographs of these regions.

What do you think?
I think you should book a trip there.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 10-01-2015 at 12:32 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 01:24 AM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
7,160 posts, read 3,583,661 times
Reputation: 3429
That's true but the satellites that photograph the deserts also pass over other more interesting regions. But those deserts you mention also happen to be in hot spots and would otherwise be great places for some groups to hide out in and do stuff that others might be interested in. I don't know, I just threw out an idea. I'm waiting for someone with more knowledge to come in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 02:13 AM
 
Location: Bishkek/Charleston
2,098 posts, read 2,067,338 times
Reputation: 1295
Ice and Snow? How interesting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Cody, WY
10,113 posts, read 12,448,787 times
Reputation: 20834
There has been a great deal of research on Antartica in recent years including mapping. For example, we now know that there is one large land mass under part of the ice as well as an archipelago under the remainder. I have appended a link to the US Antarctic website. Searches will provide a vast amount of additional information.

The USAP Portal: Science and Support in Antarctica - Welcome to the United States Antarctic Program Portal
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,145 posts, read 20,507,386 times
Reputation: 14048
A lot of it is simply the limits of the Google Earth Program itself. The poles just render crappy. Another problem is the nature of ice itself... ice reflects light and it's difficult for satellites to get really clear photos. A third reason is because it's mostly just empty flat ice... not a lot to see so why spend resources to take lots of basically blank white glare-tainted satellite pics?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 08:57 AM
 
960 posts, read 980,124 times
Reputation: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Why is the South Pole and Antarctica so badly mapped and no detailed photos exist in the public domain?

On the internet the Google map is mainly blurred out, particularly in the middle. There are some photos of the edge pieces though. All this could be because there are fewer satellites which pass over that area of the Earth, however, there are more than enough satellites passing over Earth to get decent images of all areas of the Earth. I guess if we were mounting a polar exploration, we could get maps, and photographs of dangerous ice areas so why not get images in Google?

Personally, the evidence I have seen leads me to firmly believe that aliens are here in our solar system and in fact everywhere out there in space. I also believe they are here on Earth too but mainly in places where humans cannot go due to our relatively frail biology, such as the South Pole. With different biology different environments are possible as habitational places and that is one of their strengths I believe. It also makes it possible to survive in freezing cold space environments much easier than we could ever do.

Of course, a lot of this is total speculation and conjecture, but in my mind it IS strange how we have maps and images of every other areas of Earth but almost total blanks of the poles.

OK, so ice and snow is not sexy like cities and fields but there are still features such as mountains, solitary polar bears, research stations, penguin and seal colonies, and even warm water lakes (in the summer) at the poles which are of interest to some people. In this day and age, there are satellites which are on polar orbits yet we are denied decent photographs of these regions.

What do you think?
Landsat Image Mosaic Of Antarctica (LIMA)

Satellite Image Map of Antarctica | Polar Geospatial Center

I disagree that the South Pole and Antarctica badly mapped. There are incredible maps and very detailed photos in the public domain. Google map is not the best mapping source, its just the most popular. If its not there, just move to a different source. It seems you are upset that maps are not in google which you seem to favor. That would be like saying there are no books on George Washington becaus eyour local library has none in stock, but the next library ove rmay have hundreds. Just look elsewhere. There are fewer satellites which pass over the poles, because there is very little money to be made from private photos. The public images are extensive though. You just have to know where to look. Sometimes it takes hours to look, not a quick google search. There are plenty of photos and maps of the poles, good luck with your search. all the best.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 09:14 AM
 
Location: PRC
4,644 posts, read 4,100,578 times
Reputation: 4141
Quote:
There has been a great deal of research on Antartica in recent years including mapping. For example, we now know that there is one large land mass under part of the ice as well as an archipelago under the remainder. I have appended a link to the US Antarctic website. Searches will provide a vast amount of additional information.
Althought the link is interesting, it still does not give us any high quality images which show what is really there.

In fact, it is rather a red herring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top