U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 12:19 PM

78 posts, read 64,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
The problem with this is that the people who claim to see ghosts cannot accept the opposite of that statement. They cannot accept that ghosts may not exist.

With over 2,000 years of documented history, countless spiritualists, the many money making ghost shows on TV today there is not one shred of evidence that supports the existence of ghosts. So instead of calling people narrow minded, pompous idiots because they are skeptical of something that has never been proven maybe you should look at the ones that do believe, without evidence, in something that has never been proven.

This is really what it is about. People want to feel special. People who believe in ghosts think it makes them special and that everyone else is weak-minded or afraid. People who believe in ghosts feel as you stated that they are a stronger or superior mind or intellect and don't need to do that seem to have a problem accepting what can be proven.

I personally think it is a crutch more in line with the way you explained. Unexceptional people who need to feel special.
You completely misunderstand. Of course, their are charlatans, attention-whores, hallucinations, even liars but lumping everyone as not credible or every experience not credible and dismissing as well as discounting their experience is prejudicial, rude, and arrogant. It's as narrowminded as those on the extreme that all unexplained activity or sightings are really ghosts. The point is, in general, it is very common for those who have had paranormal experiences to be ridiculed and it goes without saying ghosts, afterlife etc is all speculation.

But I reiterate again, it is enormously arrogant and just as presumptuous for any human being to dismiss all others experiences as unreal.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-09-2015, 01:43 PM

11,421 posts, read 10,199,066 times
I am a healthy, well adjusted female with a high IQ and I've certainly seen ghosts.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:49 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,757,632 times
My mother is completely sane and normal as normal can be. Same with my (at the time) step father. We all lived in a house with a ghost.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:36 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,301,539 times
I think its judgemental and weak minded to think nothing inexplicable exists in our world.

Plenty of inexplicable things happen, including tears in time, which is all "ghosts" are.

BTW I personally have never seen one, but my BFF who I trust with my life, has seen many, she works in an Aged Care Hospital and ALL the staff see them.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:37 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,134,940 times
Wow, you people who saw ghosts, would you mind telling us about your experiences? Is it like in the movies? Are your ghosts friendly or scary?

Old 10-09-2015, 04:48 PM

7,978 posts, read 6,351,908 times
I have never "seen" a ghost. I am a very normal, high IQ female, who really doesn't even believe in the supernatural, but strange things have happened to me in regard to my sister and her death. On at least 3 occasions, I believe she has made different types of contact with me. Also, before both of my parents died, I had premonition type dreams that told me that they were going to die soon. In both cases there was no reason to believe that their death was imminent. Last year my brother told me that he had seen a full body apparition of his wife's dead grandmother several times in her/their old home. He said that, when the home was about to be sold, he spoke to the apparition and told her they were moving and that she was welcome to come along if she needed to, and that he saw her again in their new home. I don't think my brother is crazy, weird, or attention seeking, just a normal hard-working sort of guy. He has told only his wife and me about this, and he only told me after I told him about my premonition dream of our dad's death. As I said, I have never really believed in the supernatural, but I am beginning to wonder what the heck is going on.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:14 PM

13,678 posts, read 22,323,531 times
In my case, I just saw a father get out an elevator behind his son. They both acknowledged me, and I them, and the next day I found out the father had died the week before. Nothing scary, nothing weird.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:25 PM

7,472 posts, read 6,195,870 times
Maybe because, hush, ghosts don't exist, and most people are sensible enough to know that.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:53 PM

50 posts, read 37,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
of the very few people Ive ever met that have claimed to have actually seen a ghost, most seem kind of strange, they are usually weird people that make these claims, possibly hallucinating and believing they saw something that was not there, only in their imagination.

it seems the weaker minded the person the more likely they will say they see ghosts or have experienced supernatural events like a haunted house or ghosts talking back to them, etc.
When I was a child I did see something... I don't know if it was a ghost or if my neighbour was hiding someone at his place, but it was kind of scary at the time.

I was just playing with a friend and then when I was coming back home I was passing by this house that just has a small window and a gate... this woman was looking at me from the window and then I looked at her. She had this deranged look in her face and a bucket of water. Then she just threw the water at me and started laughing like crazy!!! Like it was a prank which made no sense because she was an old woman and she had this crazy look in her eyes that made me scared!

So anyway... I wasn't completely wet because I was able to run away but I couldn't escape the water completely and a part of my clothes were wet and my mom saw it so I don't think it was an hallucination.
I just ran home and I told my mom... when she asked me which house I was talking about and I pointed to it, my mom looked at me like I was crazy and she told me that no woman lived in that house. But I was pretty scared and I was really persistent on the matter so my mom decided to take me there so we could talk to the owner of the place.

When the man opened the gate to us we told him what happened and he said the same thing my mom did... no woman lived there. Still I wasn't convinced so he told me I could check if I wanted to. I went there and I searched for that woman and I never saw her again.

So you know... either she was a ghost or my neighbour had a secret room in his place where he was hiding some old woman. I really don't know which explanation is more plausible but I really don't believe I was hallucinating not only because even my mom saw my wet clothes but because I really don't have problems with hallucinations, thank God!

Now, why do you think only weak minded people "see" or "talk" to ghosts?

Old 10-09-2015, 06:17 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,301,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Maybe because, hush, ghosts don't exist, and most people are sensible enough to know that.
It depends how you define "ghost"

If you define it with a white sheeted spook, of course they don't exist.

If however you define them as a bend in time, well, Einstein has already proved that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.