U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2015, 06:15 PM
 
Location: NW AR
2,438 posts, read 2,398,294 times
Reputation: 2283

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Healthy well adjusted people who have had an inexplicable, mysterious encounter with what might be called a "ghost" would tend to be more private about it, and even -- sensibly! -- discuss it with their physician, a licensed counsellor, or clergyperson as "something strange that happened", rather than going around telling people that they had seen a ghost.
That's a cop-out.

Ghosts counteract with physicians, counselors and clergy people. Geesh. OK
Rate this post positively

 
Old 10-09-2015, 06:17 PM
 
Location: NW AR
2,438 posts, read 2,398,294 times
Reputation: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
It depends how you define "ghost"

If you define it with a white sheeted spook, of course they don't exist.

If however you define them as a bend in time, well, Einstein has already proved that one.

That, they definitely are. Tallysmom's post is a perfect example of this ( I will copy and paste her post in a minute)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
In my case, I just saw a father get out an elevator behind his son. They both acknowledged me, and I them, and the next day I found out the father had died the week before. Nothing scary, nothing weird.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-09-2015, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
19,419 posts, read 14,978,023 times
Reputation: 20143
I have a client that works as an exec for an International company everyone knows...parent company of many,,,has dated private assistants of cabinet members
(of the US Pres, for Pete's sake)
She doesn't know the word alternative health care or grass fed what?


She saw nothing ...but was driven out of a DC Townhouse losing thousands because of
some entity...my God, it spun quarters on her bedroom floor at 4am!
Plus a list of other extraordinary things.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-09-2015, 06:23 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 6,321,924 times
Reputation: 11954
None of the ones my bff has seen have been scary either - just regular people.

She also sees orbs and photographs them too.

I remember once talking to a gardener in a graveyard, a regular hard working down to earth guy, and asking him if he'd ever seen one.

He said he had, but not in the graveyard. He was called in to do an ex customers garden after she passed, looked up to see her large as life standing in the doorway supervising him, just like she always did.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-09-2015, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
19,419 posts, read 14,978,023 times
Reputation: 20143
The funny thing is anyone that has experienced the Holy Spirit
or paranormal things no longer cares what anyone else thinks.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-09-2015, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Washington state
5,620 posts, read 3,330,582 times
Reputation: 17379
I haven't "seen" a ghost, but I have had a few things happen which make me go. "hmmmm..." Having said that, I am somewhat of a skeptic when it comes to hearing about ghosts and seeing pictures of ghosts. To me, orbs aren't ghosts. Ectoplasm isn't a ghost. Pictures of "faces" in mirrors, windows, or trees are not ghosts because it's far too easy for people to see what they want to see in those cases.

I also tend to be somewhat skeptical about hearing ghosts talk on tape recorders. Before I accept it as proof, I want to know that it was not possible for anything else to have made any murmuring noise, no distant traffic, nobody blowing a dog whistle in a far off field, nothing that could be mistaken for something else. And I actually have a voice whispering on a video I made in a cemetery! But as there was no one else with me at the time, it's not "proof" of a ghost. It's only a personal experience. As such, I can tell the story or submit the audio and people will believe it or not, and there's nothing I can do about it.

All that doesn't mean I don't want to believe in ghosts and I would really like to see one one day.



Other than that, I'm as sane as any other person who raised mice and shows model horses.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-09-2015, 08:21 PM
 
2,321 posts, read 2,293,971 times
Reputation: 3850
I "believe in" ghosts with all my being, but I've never seen one. The old joke, "I'm dying to see a ghost!" applies to me, I guess....I just want to have at least one experience before I die, but as into all of this as I am, I just may not be able to detect them as readily as others. If I did, I would discuss it here and tell a close friend, but that's it. I would treasure that experience forever.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-10-2015, 02:06 AM
 
6,319 posts, read 6,321,924 times
Reputation: 11954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I "believe in" ghosts with all my being, but I've never seen one. The old joke, "I'm dying to see a ghost!" applies to me, I guess....I just want to have at least one experience before I die, but as into all of this as I am, I just may not be able to detect them as readily as others. If I did, I would discuss it here and tell a close friend, but that's it. I would treasure that experience forever.
You have probably already seen one, just not recognized it.

The only reason my friend and her colleagues know they are seeing ghosts, is because they work a night shift in a secure building. They know who's there at all times.

So when a couple of the young nurses come to my bff absolutely petrified because they BOTH saw or heard a guy who they knew had no way of getting in or being there, it upsets the entire shift. Its actually a pain in the you-know-where to have all your workers too scared to walk into a corridor.

As far as I know they just look like everyone else and could stroll pass you in the street looking totally normal.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-10-2015, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,887 posts, read 4,562,891 times
Reputation: 11241
People who have had certain unexplained experiences label them "ghosts". I don't believe the dead hang around to haunt places or people. However, I've lived in two houses where I and the people I lived with experienced a constant stream of phenomena we couldn't explain -- discrete cold spots, odd light phenomena, shadows, touches, objects moving, voices, strange sounds, negative emotions like fear in situations that didn't warrant them. Many of these were experienced by multiple people at the same time.

I don't know the causes of these phenomena, or to what extent my memory of them has been distorted by my own imperfect recollection. I'm left tending to believe that these were real experiences of something rather than simple hallucinations on my part because multiple people experienced them in the same way, though I never once felt I was encountering a human intelligence or the "spirits" of the dead. However, there can also be distortions of recollection in a group that's built a sort of consensus about the experience.

In short, I tend to believe based on my experiences in "hauntings" but not in "ghosts". But then, what else do you expect from a weak-minded loon like me.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-11-2015, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
5,170 posts, read 3,650,366 times
Reputation: 6321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I have a very responsible, sensible, respectable friend who has a very high IQ, PHD in History and a successful consulting business.

His whole family is very into ghosts and can tell several stories about sightings. He vacations at places that are supposed to be haunted.

You would NEVER guess it when meeting this guy. He does NOT come across as a weirdo.

I may have offended him last visit because I scoffed at some of his stories.
Having a high IQ or PHD does not preclude a person from making mistakes, being duped, having their minds play tricks on them or having a mental illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welby1205 View Post
How many people "talk to" and "believe" in the HOLY SPIRIT. Are they weird and looney too??? Just wondering.
I grew up Catholic but am non-practicing. I do not see the relationship between ghosts and the Holy Spirit as the Holy Spirit would be God and I am not sure if the Holy Spirit would be considered a ghost as I do not think it can even be seen. The Holy Spirit is supposed to be everywhere and within you.

Complete non comparison without even having to question belief systems which is what you were trying to accomplish but failed to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber123 View Post
You completely misunderstand. Of course, their are charlatans, attention-whores, hallucinations, even liars but lumping everyone as not credible or every experience not credible and dismissing as well as discounting their experience is prejudicial, rude, and arrogant. It's as narrowminded as those on the extreme that all unexplained activity or sightings are really ghosts. The point is, in general, it is very common for those who have had paranormal experiences to be ridiculed and it goes without saying ghosts, afterlife etc is all speculation.
Lumping everyone in like you did with your response where you said things like this:

Quote:
Speaking of more fine-tuned senses..its common for the weak-minded to be afraid of what it can't nail down or understand. The weaker-minded would rather censor, ridicule or condemn which it cannot own or make sense of in its current reality. A stronger or superior mind or intellect doesn't need to do that. It can be okay with acknowledging there may or may not be something but at least give the benefit of the doubt to possibility.
You ridicule people who do not believe in ghosts because they do not see the evidence to support it. You praise those who believe in ghosts despite this evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber123 View Post
But I reiterate again, it is enormously arrogant and just as presumptuous for any human being to dismiss all others experiences as unreal.
No, it is not. As a matter of fact studies have found that the human memory is flawed. Eyewitness testimony is fairly weak and studies have shown that many people are wrong when recalling events, even when they have just seen the event!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I am a healthy, well adjusted female with a high IQ and I've certainly seen ghosts.
Having a high IQ or PHD does not preclude a person from making mistakes, being duped, having their minds play tricks on them or having a mental illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
My mother is completely sane and normal as normal can be. Same with my (at the time) step father. We all lived in a house with a ghost.
This is fantastic news. Please post video's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I think its judgemental and weak minded to think nothing inexplicable exists in our world.
Of course you do. This is a highly bigoted statement. You are creating a straw man here, which of course you have to do because you have not real argument. Just because a person does not believe in ghosts does not mean they do not believe that there are unexplained things in this world. Also a person who states they do not believe in ghosts may change their mind if there is actually E V I D E N C E. But again after thousands of years, video and sound recording devices and millions of dollars to be made in shows there is 0 (ZERO) evidence that ghosts exist. Calling people weak minded because they do not believe in ghosts under those circumstances and feeling that you are better because you believe in something that has not proof is nothing more than vanity and mental masturbation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Plenty of inexplicable things happen, including tears in time, which is all "ghosts" are.
This is interesting. Not only do you believe in ghosts you know what they are. I await your proof with open mind!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
BTW I personally have never seen one, but my BFF who I trust with my life, has seen many, she works in an Aged Care Hospital and ALL the staff see them.
I think that statement belongs in the Urban Legends thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
It depends how you define "ghost"

If you define it with a white sheeted spook, of course they don't exist.

If however you define them as a bend in time, well, Einstein has already proved that one.
O RLY? Please enlighten us onto Einstein's proof of ghosts. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have a client that works as an exec for an International company everyone knows...parent company of many,,,has dated private assistants of cabinet members
(of the US Pres, for Pete's sake)
She doesn't know the word alternative health care or grass fed what?


She saw nothing ...but was driven out of a DC Townhouse losing thousands because of
some entity...my God, it spun quarters on her bedroom floor at 4am!
Plus a list of other extraordinary things.
The most amazing thing about this story is that this supposedly highly educated person with all of these big namedrops failed to record a video of this and also managed to lose money on a townhouse in DC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
The funny thing is anyone that has experienced the Holy Spirit
or paranormal things no longer cares what anyone else thinks.
OH, well that makes as much sense as ghosts since there are numerous shows and posts on this forum that would disprove that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
You have probably already seen one, just not recognized it.

The only reason my friend and her colleagues know they are seeing ghosts, is because they work a night shift in a secure building. They know who's there at all times.

So when a couple of the young nurses come to my bff absolutely petrified because they BOTH saw or heard a guy who they knew had no way of getting in or being there, it upsets the entire shift. Its actually a pain in the you-know-where to have all your workers too scared to walk into a corridor.

As far as I know they just look like everyone else and could stroll pass you in the street looking totally normal.
Perfect example. People would rather believe in ghosts which have no proof than to admit that people and security protocols are flawed. Amazing how this is not used in court more.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top