U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2015, 04:44 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
20,834 posts, read 26,196,039 times
Reputation: 56147

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Healthy well adjusted people who have had an inexplicable, mysterious encounter with what might be called a "ghost" would tend to be more private about it, and even -- sensibly! -- discuss it with their physician, a licensed counsellor, or clergyperson as "something strange that happened", rather than going around telling people that they had seen a ghost.

I think there is something to this. I have had some paranormal experiences in my life, although I have never seen a ghost or apparition.

I will discuss in on a paranormal forum, such as this, or with people who have had similar experiences and have an interest in the topic.

However, I am not going to bring it up with my next door neighbor, my kid's friend's parents, a client, most members of my extended family or my hair dresser.

People have strong opinions about this subject - and while more people are accepting today, only people with very bad boundaries - or who are seeking attention, would mention this to a casual friend or acquaintance.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 10-12-2015, 07:47 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 6,299,550 times
Reputation: 11954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Having a high IQ or PHD does not preclude a person from making mistakes, being duped, having their minds play tricks on them or having a mental illness.


I grew up Catholic but am non-practicing. I do not see the relationship between ghosts and the Holy Spirit as the Holy Spirit would be God and I am not sure if the Holy Spirit would be considered a ghost as I do not think it can even be seen. The Holy Spirit is supposed to be everywhere and within you.

Complete non comparison without even having to question belief systems which is what you were trying to accomplish but failed to do.

Lumping everyone in like you did with your response where you said things like this:


You ridicule people who do not believe in ghosts because they do not see the evidence to support it. You praise those who believe in ghosts despite this evidence.

No, it is not. As a matter of fact studies have found that the human memory is flawed. Eyewitness testimony is fairly weak and studies have shown that many people are wrong when recalling events, even when they have just seen the event!

Having a high IQ or PHD does not preclude a person from making mistakes, being duped, having their minds play tricks on them or having a mental illness.


This is fantastic news. Please post video's!

Of course you do. This is a highly bigoted statement. You are creating a straw man here, which of course you have to do because you have not real argument. Just because a person does not believe in ghosts does not mean they do not believe that there are unexplained things in this world. Also a person who states they do not believe in ghosts may change their mind if there is actually E V I D E N C E. But again after thousands of years, video and sound recording devices and millions of dollars to be made in shows there is 0 (ZERO) evidence that ghosts exist. Calling people weak minded because they do not believe in ghosts under those circumstances and feeling that you are better because you believe in something that has not proof is nothing more than vanity and mental masturbation.

This is interesting. Not only do you believe in ghosts you know what they are. I await your proof with open mind!

I think that statement belongs in the Urban Legends thread.


O RLY? Please enlighten us onto Einstein's proof of ghosts. LOL

The most amazing thing about this story is that this supposedly highly educated person with all of these big namedrops failed to record a video of this and also managed to lose money on a townhouse in DC!

OH, well that makes as much sense as ghosts since there are numerous shows and posts on this forum that would disprove that.

Perfect example. People would rather believe in ghosts which have no proof than to admit that people and security protocols are flawed. Amazing how this is not used in court more.

You sound really frightened actually, your overall tone is so incredibly sarcastic its got to be covering some real anxiety or anger.

I don't see anyone here trying to Prove anything!

My BFF sees them regularly.

There is nothing wrong with the "security protocols" at her hospital. The place is in total lockdown, no one can get in or out.

There is no explanation for what the staff see, nor what my friends see.

Or, (as I tried to explain), no explanation yet.

You sound like one of those people who mocked Einstein.

Just because no ones proven it yet (which i disagree with, see> Theory of Relativity) doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

In fact some of the greatest minds in our human existence have acknowledged the presence of another "layer" of existence that seems to leak over to our own.

The Black Hole discovery, for example, opens the obvious question...what the heck else don't we know? Every major scientific discovery only opens up more questions to be answered! We are still infants in understanding our own universe.

So really, theres no need to get angry.

While there might not yet be any "proof", there sure as heck is a mountain of Evidence. And trust me, if you have to deal with a passel of workers who flatly refuse to enter the corridor bc they just saw a ghost in there, you also would suspect that yes indeedy, there IS something we have yet to discover about our own existence.

Which is entirely logical, no?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-12-2015, 08:38 PM
 
52 posts, read 38,244 times
Reputation: 72
I sometimes see strange things but i think "woodstock" had a lot to do with it....just saying.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-12-2015, 08:45 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 6,299,550 times
Reputation: 11954
Yeah I've never seen anything, ever.

But apparently they look like regular people so you may see them just not realize it.

Some of the more credible psychics say its literally like that scene in ghosts - once you see them you cant Unsee them, they're everywhere!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-12-2015, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
16,932 posts, read 14,369,624 times
Reputation: 30016
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
of the very few people Ive ever met that have claimed to have actually seen a ghost, most seem kind of strange, they are usually weird people that make these claims, possibly hallucinating and believing they saw something that was not there, only in their imagination.

it seems the weaker minded the person the more likely they will say they see ghosts or have experienced supernatural events like a haunted house or ghosts talking back to them, etc.
They're right up there with people who get abducted by aliens, and also, people who claim to have a sexual relationship with Bigfoot.

Anything is possible.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-12-2015, 09:13 PM
 
Location: NW AR
2,438 posts, read 2,390,073 times
Reputation: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Greenflute- the image of the text message you posted (which is NOT from the linked discussion for those who are wondering)...I don't know if it's just for 'demonstration' or is a supposed 'ghost' text....but having a text just like that is quite easy to accomplish.
Send a message to yourself....
This column was on the first link MARK S posted... because I found it and re-posted it. I found it on the original link and their is no way I would have pulled it out of thin air and posted it here. Now, his link just goes to his second thread in his Ghosts in a secular age, thread.

The column from Elle magazine was on his ( Mark S's) first link about Peter ( and I have no idea where this came from) so hence the text message.

http://www.elle.com/life-love/news/a...ough-a-medium/

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 10-12-2015 at 09:23 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-12-2015, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,445 posts, read 12,395,567 times
Reputation: 28299
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
...Some of the more credible psychics...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-12-2015, 09:33 PM
 
Location: NW AR
2,438 posts, read 2,390,073 times
Reputation: 2283
see, here it is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
this goes directly to a different thread on CD and doesn't go directly to what was originally posted..

The Elle article was on the first hit, anyway

That, or Peter loves his wife and I bet it's the second one.

http://www.elle.com/life-love/news/a...ough-a-medium/
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-12-2015, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Happy wherever I am - Florida now
3,360 posts, read 11,382,631 times
Reputation: 3867
I agree that people who chase after ghosts as in those crazy tv programs seem a little looney like people who watch late night horror movies.

I've had several experiences but not in the least interested in communicating with someone on the other side I don't know or want to hear from. Mine have almost always involved family members and loved ones. I never initiate it, the experiences come to me. I've had messages, touching, esp, visuals, and beyond. It all seems normal to me. I don't hide it and I don't brag about it. I am probably the most serious person you will ever meet.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-12-2015, 10:11 PM
 
109 posts, read 73,606 times
Reputation: 84
I believe
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top