U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2015, 01:07 AM
 
722 posts, read 1,061,404 times
Reputation: 992

Advertisements

of the very few people Ive ever met that have claimed to have actually seen a ghost, most seem kind of strange, they are usually weird people that make these claims, possibly hallucinating and believing they saw something that was not there, only in their imagination.

it seems the weaker minded the person the more likely they will say they see ghosts or have experienced supernatural events like a haunted house or ghosts talking back to them, etc.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 10-09-2015, 01:22 AM
 
78 posts, read 63,927 times
Reputation: 241
I think it's completely the opposite actually. I think these people tend to be more sensitive, pick up on the subtle etc and more perceptive than those who have less fine tuned senses. besides, more people have had unusual experiences but don't admit to them or speak of it due to lack of proof, stigma and being moronicly negatively judged like the poster above. Just because something can't be proven today doesn't mean it's not real nor is it wrong to speak of experiences that cant be explained currently or have narrowminded pompous idiots believe they have real
ity all figured out.

Speaking of more fine-tuned senses..its common for the weak-minded to be afraid of what it can't nail down or understand. The weaker-minded would rather censor, ridicule or condemn which it cannot own or make sense of in its current reality. A stronger or superior mind or intellect doesn't need to do that. It can be okay with acknowledging there may or may not be something but at least give the benefit of the doubt to possibility.

Last edited by cyber123; 10-09-2015 at 01:34 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-09-2015, 05:07 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma USA
1,194 posts, read 931,020 times
Reputation: 4394
Healthy well adjusted people who have had an inexplicable, mysterious encounter with what might be called a "ghost" would tend to be more private about it, and even -- sensibly! -- discuss it with their physician, a licensed counsellor, or clergyperson as "something strange that happened", rather than going around telling people that they had seen a ghost.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-09-2015, 05:19 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
11,571 posts, read 14,607,737 times
Reputation: 17932
I have spoken to quite a few people whom have claimed to have experienced ghostly phenomena. Only one made an outrageous claim about a demonic Imp who tried to pull him under his bed. He drinks and some of his general behavior has been weird at times. The others seemed sensible and gave vivid details. Their stories were often very interesting to hear, true or not.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-09-2015, 08:24 AM
 
Location: MA
1,179 posts, read 673,200 times
Reputation: 662
As much I as think there might be some weird things happening out there, I myself have visited and slept in hotels all over the world that were deemed haunted etc. Not once have I been witnessed of any paranormal activities I would love to have at least seen something.

Maybe some people are more sensitive to certain poltergeist events, I don't know.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-09-2015, 08:59 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,153 posts, read 62,137,161 times
Reputation: 38099
I consider myself perfectly normal, and in one of the two experiences I have had, my wife (also normal) had the same experience. This was in an 1889 hotel, and while we didn't know it at the time, it's considered one of the most haunted places in the state. The other time, it was only me. In both cases what I experienced could be considered paranormal activity, however I prefer to call it unexplained phenomena.

Is The Palace Hotel haunted? Make no bones about it -- Port Angeles Port Townsend Sequim Forks Jefferson County Clallam County Olympic Peninsula Daily NEWS
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-09-2015, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
5,168 posts, read 3,617,461 times
Reputation: 6321
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber123 View Post
I think it's completely the opposite actually. I think these people tend to be more sensitive, pick up on the subtle etc and more perceptive than those who have less fine tuned senses. besides, more people have had unusual experiences but don't admit to them or speak of it due to lack of proof, stigma and being moronicly negatively judged like the poster above. Just because something can't be proven today doesn't mean it's not real nor is it wrong to speak of experiences that cant be explained currently or have narrowminded pompous idiots believe they have real
ity all figured out.
The problem with this is that the people who claim to see ghosts cannot accept the opposite of that statement. They cannot accept that ghosts may not exist.

With over 2,000 years of documented history, countless spiritualists, the many money making ghost shows on TV today there is not one shred of evidence that supports the existence of ghosts. So instead of calling people narrow minded, pompous idiots because they are skeptical of something that has never been proven maybe you should look at the ones that do believe, without evidence, in something that has never been proven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber123 View Post
Speaking of more fine-tuned senses..its common for the weak-minded to be afraid of what it can't nail down or understand. The weaker-minded would rather censor, ridicule or condemn which it cannot own or make sense of in its current reality. A stronger or superior mind or intellect doesn't need to do that. It can be okay with acknowledging there may or may not be something but at least give the benefit of the doubt to possibility.
This is really what it is about. People want to feel special. People who believe in ghosts think it makes them special and that everyone else is weak-minded or afraid. People who believe in ghosts feel as you stated that they are a stronger or superior mind or intellect and don't need to do that seem to have a problem accepting what can be proven.

I personally think it is a crutch more in line with the way you explained. Unexceptional people who need to feel special.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-09-2015, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Fayetteville NC
6,133 posts, read 6,020,700 times
Reputation: 15553
I have a very responsible, sensible, respectable friend who has a very high IQ, PHD in History and a successful consulting business.

His whole family is very into ghosts and can tell several stories about sightings. He vacations at places that are supposed to be haunted.

You would NEVER guess it when meeting this guy. He does NOT come across as a weirdo.

I may have offended him last visit because I scoffed at some of his stories.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-09-2015, 11:07 AM
 
194 posts, read 200,948 times
Reputation: 278
How many people "talk to" and "believe" in the HOLY SPIRIT. Are they weird and looney too??? Just wondering.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-09-2015, 11:12 AM
 
35,104 posts, read 44,376,752 times
Reputation: 62302
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
of the very few people Ive ever met that have claimed to have actually seen a ghost, most seem kind of strange, they are usually weird people that make these claims, possibly hallucinating and believing they saw something that was not there, only in their imagination.

it seems the weaker minded the person the more likely they will say they see ghosts or have experienced supernatural events like a haunted house or ghosts talking back to them, etc.

Says the judgmental one.

It appears the weaker minded the person the more likely they are to be judgmental and appearing to lack imigination
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top