U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:04 AM

21,554 posts, read 19,363,006 times

Advertisements

I remember as a kid our dad encouraged us to bang some pots and pans for New Years. Its a PA thing, we ring in the new year and get pretty rowdy. He'd also watch the Mummers parade in Philly which I could never appreciate. Some of the comedy acts and themed brigades were pretty good, but sitting through hours of that with that terrible banjo music just wasn't worth it.
On New Year's Day, we have pork and sauerkraut, religiously. Pork because a pig pushes forward, not back. Sauerkraut because cabbage is green and green represents money. Don't eat chicken because a chicken scratches backward( bad luck) and don't eat fish because fish are silver and the fish will slip through your fingers, so will silver( money).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 01:43 PM

11,978 posts, read 11,270,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I remember as a kid our dad encouraged us to bang some pots and pans for New Years. Its a PA thing, we ring in the new year and get pretty rowdy. He'd also watch the Mummers parade in Philly which I could never appreciate. Some of the comedy acts and themed brigades were pretty good, but sitting through hours of that with that terrible banjo music just wasn't worth it.
On New Year's Day, we have pork and sauerkraut, religiously. Pork because a pig pushes forward, not back. Sauerkraut because cabbage is green and green represents money. Don't eat chicken because a chicken scratches backward( bad luck) and don't eat fish because fish are silver and the fish will slip through your fingers, so will silver( money).
Haha-yep. As a kid we used to bang pots and pans NYE at Midnight, then the Mummers Parade the next day. I've always liked the Mummers though, and as I got older-Two Street after party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjyvCNI7vUg

Old 01-04-2016, 04:18 PM

172 posts, read 146,264 times
Have a man walk across the threshold.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:08 AM

600 posts, read 1,261,644 times
I cook collards, black-eyed peas and cornbread. I also toss the same old silver dollar, year after year, into the pot of collards while they are cooking, and I kiss my husband at midnight.

It has been that way throughout our marriage. The kids get a kick out of it.

This year, things were different.

We were invited to spend New Year's with my brother-in-law's family in the mountains. It was a pleasant trip. My SIL humored us and cooked the collards, black-eyed peas and cornbread. She is from New England and did not do it as I would have, but I appreciated her gesture and it was good. I did not bring the silver dollar to go into the collards. Also, I was exhausted and ended up going to sleep before midnight alone in the guest room.

My grandmother died on New Year's day this year.

Coincidence? More than likely - I am not really that superstitious. However, if I was superstitious then I would have a pretty good case!

Old 01-12-2016, 07:55 PM

17,866 posts, read 18,962,240 times
My family believes in eating Saurkraut on the first for good luck.

I don't like saurkraut at all, so I drink beer!

Old 01-17-2016, 02:28 AM

29,174 posts, read 28,232,542 times
Have something nice, special to eat, pop open a bottle of bubbly, light a few fireworks. Nothing spectacular.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:26 AM

6,284 posts, read 10,313,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Oh--we always make it a point not to wash clothes on New Years Day. If you do wash clothes on that day, someone in the family will DIE.
In some places, like where I grew up, that rule applies to the entire week between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day. The original rule went something like, "Don't hang white linen outside to dry overnight" (because, presumably, that would be like preparing a shroud), but that morphed into not washing clothes at all. When I was a kid my folks explained that it was an old rule meant to give the servants a few days off from the never-ending laundry chores...

Old 01-20-2016, 06:30 PM

19,284 posts, read 25,839,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I do things such as opening windows and banging pots and pans. Here in Ohio, no one seems to do that, and after two years, I think we will dispense with this, left out neighbors think we are crazy.

I clean the house withing an inch of it's life. Before bedtime, I take a bath with lavender and sage. I also sage thr whole house.

Sometimes I anoint the doors and lintels with Frankincense oil.

What do you do, if anything?
we have a pig-roast , get the Ouija board out and sacrifice a vegan

Old 01-21-2016, 06:34 AM

708 posts, read 1,024,130 times
Fix cabbage and put a dime in the pot for good luck, whoever got the dime is suppose to have the best luck.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:35 AM

67,685 posts, read 63,177,136 times
We always banged pots and pans. Kids love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal