U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:29 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,200,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I don't believe in linear time...

You do well, the concept of linear time comes from St. Augustine, who said that... it only goes forward otherwise the man would return to the original sin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 12:09 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,531,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
LOL, I do not think there is any danger of that. Especially with what I see posted on this forum. I cannot even get a simple answer to simple questions. The fact that lies have to be told here, such as Scientists are only looking for earth based life forms, shows that some minds are not as open as they would like to portray themselves. I wish people would stop trying to portray themselves as more intelligent just because they think they believe in things that other people do not.
Scientists are looking for life based on patterns of life on earth. They are NOT looking for lizards on mars or plankton on Europa (earth-based life). There is a BIG difference there.

But I don't get the vibe here that people are trying to pretend to be smart because they believe in things that other's don't. Rather, I feel you do the opposite and treat posters as stupid because they believe in things you have rejected.

All I'm trying to say to you is to question whether you might have rejected some things prematurely, given the incomplete nature of Science and the human perspective at large.

That's the fun part about the "unknown" and while there are plenty of stories, guesses, and admittedly at least 90-95% of is is BS... there IS no proof or we'd be talking about it in the Science forum. It's all a big mystery... and some people LOVE mysteries. If you don't, you are posting in the wrong forum.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:29 PM

5,170 posts, read 3,657,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Scientists are looking for life based on patterns of life on earth.
Yes. But this is a lie by exclusion. They are certainly looking for life based on what they have learned from earth. But you are trying to imply that they are not looking for other kinds of life....which is not true.
Quote:
They are NOT looking for lizards on mars or plankton on Europa (earth-based life). There is a BIG difference there.
Are you saying there are lizards on Mars?
Quote:
But I don't get the vibe here that people are trying to pretend to be smart because they believe in things that other's don't. Rather, I feel you do the opposite and treat posters as stupid because they believe in things you have rejected.
I do not believe that people are stupid because they believe things I do not. I do wonder why they will not answer simple questions about their beliefs and why they belittle those who do not believe as they do. mitoconman was even bragging about his big brain.
Quote:
All I'm trying to say to you is to question whether you might have rejected some things prematurely, given the incomplete nature of Science and the human perspective at large.
Hey, that is why I ask questions. Because I want to learn. So people want to learn and ask questions but they get riddles instead of answers.
Quote:
That's the fun part about the "unknown" and while there are plenty of stories, guesses, and admittedly at least 90-95% of is is BS... there IS no proof or we'd be talking about it in the Science forum. It's all a big mystery... and some people LOVE mysteries. If you don't, you are posting in the wrong forum.
Unknown does not mean oblivious. Also people are taking about things there are proof of. See the Globe Earth Theory thread. So please understand when at least some people are a little skeptical and ask questions.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:37 PM

1,179 posts, read 677,878 times
They don't need ship they travel via stargates, haven't you seen the movie???

A wormhole that allows for instantaneous travel of long distances within seconds.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:59 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,577,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Yes. But this is a lie by exclusion. They are certainly looking for life based on what they have learned from earth. But you are trying to imply that they are not looking for other kinds of life....which is not true.
+1. They are in fact expanding the boundaries of where life is possible, in large part because of all the extremophiles identified in the last couple of decades here on earth. I posted this in another thread:

Here's an interesting article on some of the possible alternatives for different biochemistry on other worlds:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoth...f_biochemistry

Regarding Titan, exobiologists have been thinking about the possibility of a methane rather than water based biome on that moon ... water wouldn't work as a solvent because at Titan's temperatures it's a rock as hard as granite:

Life on Titan?

Last edited by Vasily; 01-27-2016 at 03:00 PM..

Old 02-14-2016, 08:57 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,130,780 times
Old Guard
Quote:
Hey, that is why I ask questions. Because I want to learn. So people want to learn and ask questions but they get riddles instead of answers
Many people like to think they are open to new ideas and go around saying this as if to convince themselves of it. Unfortunately, they are not really open to changing their strongly held beliefs.

Why do you think all the stories of spiritual masters tell of them asking questions rather than answering them? It is because the one wanting the answer does not want to find out for themselves. By finding out for themselves, they learn far better than they would if the answer was provided for them.

For an example, on an inhospitable, barren planet in our solar system how can the images we receive show multiple examples of unnatural shapes and structures? I would think this should at least get you thinking.... or maybe not.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:51 AM

5,170 posts, read 3,657,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Old Guard

Many people like to think they are open to new ideas and go around saying this as if to convince themselves of it. Unfortunately, they are not really open to changing their strongly held beliefs.
This is a lie told by people to make people who do not believe everything they are told look bad in front of the believers.
Quote:
Why do you think all the stories of spiritual masters tell of them asking questions rather than answering them? It is because the one wanting the answer does not want to find out for themselves. By finding out for themselves, they learn far better than they would if the answer was provided for them.
No, it is because the "spiritual masters" cannot get clear answers. Clarity is the enemy of a charlatan and a fraud. Clarity is the friend of the curious and the enlightened who wish to discuss and understand.
Quote:
For an example, on an inhospitable, barren planet in our solar system how can the images we receive show multiple examples of unnatural shapes and structures? I would think this should at least get you thinking.... or maybe not.
These are not evidence of advanced intelligence and, I am sorry to say, unnatural shapes or structures.

Every time you bring these things up they get debunked fairly fast and easily. You may still believe that these shapes mean things, as is your right, but unfortunately most people see them for what they are.

The second post in the thread you linked is quite telling.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:15 PM

1,788 posts, read 973,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
The idea of ship with screws and bolts is an outdated concept, it is impossible to think that the celestial workers creators of the human species use to move such means, the dimensional shift in a continuous present is the first step toward knowledge.
All those in possession of more information may speak freely, as long obscurantism time is over
~ "creators" ?? = WRONG! God created all.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:42 PM

2,167 posts, read 1,208,191 times
I love these types of threads on message boards, always entertaining. I just love the OP's tone.

Great stuff!

Old 02-22-2016, 01:19 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,130,780 times
Quote:
~ "creators" ?? = WRONG! God created all.
The concept of "God" means different things to different people. Similarly, "Right" and "Wrong" are also dependent on culture, belief, education, and upbringing. Please do not assume your beliefs are our beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal