U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:48 AM

190 posts, read 322,506 times

Advertisements

I have several phone numbers still stored in my phone of friends that have passed, all more than a year old. Some passed natural, some tragic. I've hesitated to delete these number, not sure why. Am I the only one with this problem? Thanks for the feed back...gator
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 09:08 AM

3,180 posts, read 3,920,544 times
I think others have kept phone numbers or voice mails like that for emotional comfort after the passing of a loved one or friend. I don't see it as unusual. I have not done it, but I can see myself doing so.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:18 AM

11,619 posts, read 14,673,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I think others have kept phone numbers or voice mails like that for emotional comfort after the passing of a loved one or friend. I don't see it as unusual. I have not done it, but I can see myself doing so.
I agree. Its just keeping the memory. Not unusual at all. I recall many years ago my Grandmother had the gas bill in my grandfathers name. He had passed long ago also. When it was time to change it over to my name after I took over the apt I informed them of this, And the company told me this was very common, And this was before cell phones were widespread. People keep things of various stuff. My Aunt and Uncle died 8 months apart last year and I only recently deleted the number because their son took over the house and changed it.

Still got some of my Aunts Emails though.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've got the same thing going on with email addresses. I'm sure they no longer work, I guess I just need to let them go and move on. gator

Old 01-21-2016, 10:20 AM

5,170 posts, read 3,641,676 times
I think it is bad luck, for lack of a better term, to delete the numbers of deceased friends. I feel when I delete the number I am giving up on them.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I think it is bad luck, for lack of a better term, to delete the numbers of deceased friends. I feel when I delete the number I am giving up on them.

I kind of feel the same way. Thanks.. gator

Old 01-21-2016, 11:56 AM

13,727 posts, read 22,364,764 times
I am working on my family's genealogy, and when a relative passes, I consider it an honor to add their death date and obit details. I sit with a cup of coffee, think about them, my memories of them, read the obit over and over for things I might have missed, get emotional and say a little prayer.

It's like my own little funeral.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:21 PM

39 posts, read 25,978 times
I have literally hundred of emails from my love who died last November, I would not ever dream of deleting them, they give comfort, I can read them and he is talking to me again.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to keep old friends numbers. If you delete them you feel like you are turning your back on them.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:37 AM

4,185 posts, read 3,097,197 times
I still have my Ucle's number.

The late great TV wrestler Dustry Rhodes told a story in his book about how he kept the number of his deceased best friend Dick Murdoch in his cell phone. He said that he would dial it occasionally, and if no one answered, maybe he was just busy.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:04 PM

600 posts, read 1,264,076 times
It took me awhile to delete some numbers from my phone of people who had died. There is something almost disrespectful about it to me - for lack of a better way to put it.
The same goes for Facebook pages. I have a few "friends" who have passed on. Every once in awhile, I check their Facebook pages to see if a relative has posted anything. It happens.
Another thing is my address book. I keep a regular one with real pages (not digital). There are deceased relatives and friends in there. I eventually mark one line through the name and address so as not to completely block them out, and I have been known to put the date of death somewhere on their line in the address book.
Why? I really do not know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal