Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 04:04 PM

23,884 posts, read 32,174,126 times

Advertisements

I have. Big time.

The first was while visiting relatives. Two of my cousins were there, along with a few friends. My cousin picked up the phone up stairs and I did down stairs. These were land line extensions - we were teens early 20s. It was in the early 80s.

We heard a very creepy and staticky androgynous laugh. I called the others to hear it. It was freaky.
The crazy laugh continued for three minutes. Then it faded away.

Soon after the room filled with a horrible smell. Like something rotting or dead.

My aunt (in her early 40s) came home later that night with chest pains and went to the local hospital. Soon after, she was diagnosed with oat cell carcinoma, a particularly virulent form of lung cancer.

Do any of you have any scary telephone tales?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 07:54 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,024,460 times
I lived with my grandmother for a couple years, she was quite a lady, ....but anything strange freaked her out

while we were playing cribbage after dinner one evening, the phone rang,,,i got an immediate chill...I quickly said "don't answer it,,,its bad news" she glared at me...why would you say that?? then proceeded to pick up the receiver
after her "helloooo"

she quickly slammed it down....then stared at me.... "what did you hear or see that I didn't" she asked seriously.. I said nothing,,,,just got a very cold, strange feeling,,,she said "what is the date today??

once she knew,,she said,,,,do not under any circumstance pick up that phone,,,promise me?!! I said ok..
her eyes filled with water,,,,she stared out the window to another place, another time...

then she repeated her directive to me,,,she went to lie down,,and the phone rings.....I sooo wanted to answer it, but abided by her request.
she came out ..... walked to the pnone and just took the receiver picked it up and then hung it up again....then unplugged it from the back ...

I asked 4 different ways whats going on,,,,,she said nothing..

(she had lost 4 different husbands, and my sister told me the last one died on this particular date years ago )

Old 01-28-2016, 08:01 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,024,460 times
one movie I will never forget was "have you checked the children" the babysitter would hear this when she picked up the phone,,over and over,,,finally the sitter calls the police,, the police calls back and says they have successfully traced the call
"the calls are coming from the upstairs phone extension"

Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,129,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
one movie I will never forget was "have you checked the children" the babysitter would hear this when she picked up the phone,,over and over,,,finally the sitter calls the police,, the police calls back and says they have successfully traced the call
"the calls are coming from the upstairs phone extension"
When a Stranger Calls. The guy playing the killer died soon after filming ended. It was a brain tumor, it took him quickly.

For years, my husband would whisper have you checked the children I would freak...

Old 01-28-2016, 08:18 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,966,188 times
This one always scared me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMnXoMpgKnU

Old 01-28-2016, 11:23 PM

23,884 posts, read 32,174,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I lived with my grandmother for a couple years, she was quite a lady, ....but anything strange freaked her out

while we were playing cribbage after dinner one evening, the phone rang,,,i got an immediate chill...I quickly said "don't answer it,,,its bad news" she glared at me...why would you say that?? then proceeded to pick up the receiver
after her "helloooo"

she quickly slammed it down....then stared at me.... "what did you hear or see that I didn't" she asked seriously.. I said nothing,,,,just got a very cold, strange feeling,,,she said "what is the date today??

once she knew,,she said,,,,do not under any circumstance pick up that phone,,,promise me?!! I said ok..
her eyes filled with water,,,,she stared out the window to another place, another time...

then she repeated her directive to me,,,she went to lie down,,and the phone rings.....I sooo wanted to answer it, but abided by her request.
she came out ..... walked to the pnone and just took the receiver picked it up and then hung it up again....then unplugged it from the back ...

I asked 4 different ways whats going on,,,,,she said nothing..

(she had lost 4 different husbands, and my sister told me the last one died on this particular date years ago )
OK. That gave me chills.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:43 PM

22,292 posts, read 11,797,686 times
A few years after my mother had died, I was thinking of her and actually talking out loud to her. Later that day, I had gone into the bedroom. My husband was asleep. I looked at the phone on his nightstand and suddenly, it lit up. The phone would light up if either a phone call was incoming or another phone in the house got picked up.

Another day, I was thinking about my mother and my grandfather (her father). I was sitting in our home office when the phone in there started making strange clicking sounds and lighting up.

While not a phone, I had one of those hand held video poker machines. I hadn't touched it in months and it was off. My mother used to like those machines. All of a sudden, my machine just turned on (I hadn't touched it) and started playing the music it plays when you win a hand. I just about jumped out of the chair LOL!

Old 01-29-2016, 08:40 PM

17,265 posts, read 11,110,961 times
This stuff really creeps me out. I once watched an episode of Celebrity Ghost Stories. I don't remember who it was but he told a story about a friend he had while growing up in the ghetto or very bad part of town. As his friend grew up, his friend lived a life of crime and committed all kinds of really bad crimes, probably including murder. This friend himself was killed in a violent way at one point when they were both in their twenties I think.
After his friends death, the celebrity was at home and the phone rang. He picked it up and he could hear his friend's voice, screaming and begging for help, begging for anyone to help him and get him out of there as if he were being tortured. This went on for about a minute or so and the phone went dead. He said it was definitely his friends voice.
He did everything he could to try to trace the phone call but the phone company told him there was no call to his house at that time although his wife heard the phone ring and she was there when the celebrity picked it up. There was no way he could have imagined it.
That was one of the creepiest Celebrity Ghost Stories I'd ever seen.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:13 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,660,358 times
My Dad's wife died in a nursing home at around 5pm one day. She had an IPhone with her at the nursing home.

Anyway, later that evening, around 7pm, one of her friends got a phone call. The friend had Comcast and was watching tv, and when the call came in, my father's wife's name flashed on the screen. That's what happens when you get an incoming call. They tell you who it's from. Of course, my father's wife wasn't even alive at the time.

When I heard the story, I just assumed someone at the nursing home had accidentally made a call on the iPhone. Maybe they had pushed the recall button or something. At a later date, I ended up with the iPhone, so I charged it up to look at the recent calls list to see when the last call was made. The last call made was two months before my Dad's wife died.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:21 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,056,202 times
When I had a landline years ago a few times I heard voices from other conversations, sometimes they were garbled and it sounded creepy. I also had a mumbling woman who would call on the weekends. I think it just someone drunk though. Occasional other weirdos would call. Since having a cell phone I get none like this. Something about landlines that brought weirdness around.

None of the above is supernatural I think but figured it was worth a mention .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal