U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:31 PM

2,082 posts, read 5,032,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I can't imagine letting crows use a cemetery for a roost. Imagine the outcry if someone visited a loved ones gravesite only to find the tombstone covered with guano.
Let them? How do you stop them? If you shot them you'd risk ending up like Suzanne Pleshette!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 08:39 PM

4,960 posts, read 4,698,518 times
Quote:
I can't imagine letting crows use a cemetery for a roost. Imagine the outcry if someone visited a loved ones gravesite only to find the tombstone covered with guano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
"Let" them?

Hahaha! Like they're gonna ask permission?
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Let them? How do you stop them? If you shot them you'd risk ending up like Suzanne Pleshette!
Um, yeah..."let them"?

"Excuse me, murder of crows. Can I please ask you to all gather and roost elsewhere? Thank you."

"CAW, CAW, CAW, CAW!!"

Crows will dang well do as crows dang well please!!

On garbage day, if any garbage cans in my neighborhood have overflow garbage, the crows are there, opening the bags, inspecting the contents, eating the contents. A few summers ago, I had the overflowing garbage can with the opened bag. So I went out and cleaned up the mess prior to the truck coming. I was being "cawed" at the whole time. As soon as I turned to walk back up the driveway, the crows descended onto the garbage can, ripping and shredding. If I walked toward the can, they'd fly upward, cawing at me. As soon as I'd walk away, they'd come back.

Pretty intelligent. They are only in my neighborhood on garbage day. But they are there every garbage day.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:36 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,427,442 times
There's plenty of ways to discourage birds from using a particular roost. Here one example:
Zon Mark 4 Cannon, Zon Gun, Bird Scare Cannon | BirdControlPro.com

A crow is just another bird.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:17 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,631,418 times
Quote:
There's plenty of ways to discourage birds from using a particular roost. Here one example:
Zon Mark 4 Cannon, Zon Gun, Bird Scare Cannon | BirdControlPro.com

A crow is just another bird.
Sometimes those do not work, sometimes the neighbors do not want them used, and if you do get rid of them they still have to go somewhere.

I am not sure that a graveyard at night is a bad place for them. I am pretty sure they start leaving before sunrise.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:29 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,427,442 times
If you're interested in crows, here's a couple of links about the largest crow roost in the world and several theories as to why they may have left:
These are forums, so you'll have to read through postings to get to the good stuff.

http://crowbusters.activeboard.com/t52077677/ft-cobb-ok/
https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?74209-Crow-hunting-at-Ft-Cobb

Old 02-04-2016, 02:51 PM

1,205 posts, read 946,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
While visiting a cemetery years ago in the summer, a large number of crows begin showing up. They were arriving from all directions. Eventually thousands. It was a large cemetery and covered. The thing that baffles me is they came from all directions as if it were a scheduled event. Ive never seen more than 3-5 crows at a time otherwise. If you know of similar experiences do share.
Same thing, was around noon or so, October. We were on our way to bury my sister and that movie The Crow had been out a year or two. I found it really cinematic actually, told my film making buddies about it. It was a large cemetery too.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:43 AM

7,979 posts, read 6,354,483 times
Crows also have an ability to remember human faces. I saw a TV documentary where they tested the crows using a man in a mask who would feed the crows. When other people would come along the crows would ignore them, but when the guy in the mask (even a different person with the same mask) would show up the crows would come over looking for food. They were keying on the facial features of the mask.

I once had a neighbor with a trained crow named Chico. She would go outside and call him and he would fly to her to be fed and do tricks for food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal