Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 02:13 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

The "white feather" thread made me think of this, but I didn't want to hijack that one.

I once had a very good friend who was the worst alcoholic I've ever known, and I've known some alcoholics. Even married one once. But for seven years, my friend was sober, and I had some of the best times of my life with her. She got me through my divorce, and we took trips to the Caribbean, and just laughed together. Then she decided she could have just one drink with dinner. That was the end of her and her sobriety. Eventually she became so brain-damaged from drinking that she made no sense and kept repeating herself from minute to minute. It was very sad, and she could not quit drinking despite multiple months in rehabs. I cut off contact with her about six years ago. Last month I learned that she died of cirrhosis in 2014.

When I last saw her, we were briefly sharing an apartment with a third tenant, a guy named Richard. I had only spoken with Richard once or twice since I'd moved to another part of the state. I wondered if he knew our friend had died, but I couldn't remember his last name and didn't have any contact information.

A few days after I found out our friend was dead, I walked into my kitchen and saw something lying on the floor. It was Richard's business card, and on the back was his phone number and email address.

I don't know where the hell that card came from or how it landed on my kitchen floor. It's the weirdest thing. Logic says it must have been in a kitchen junk drawer and I pulled I out somehow and it landed on my floor...but right then at that time? Haven't talked to this guy in six years and a couple of days after I think of him this card is somehow lying smack in the middle of my kitchen floor?

Anyone have any similar coincidences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:03 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
I think I've mentioned all of these in this forum before, but here are the strangest coincidences in my life ...

I had known my future wife and her first husband for many years in a midwestern state, and hadn't seen them for a few years because I was living in a city near the southeast coast. At work one day, I was flipping through my business card collection and found hers; I thought to myself, "I should give her a call and catch up". A couple of minutes later, she called me (unfortunately, we eventually divorced).

I had been attending seminary for a couple of years part time but my theology had changed; I wondered if it were a sense of calling that brought me to study theology, or if I were fooling myself about having a "calling". I was eating lunch in a restaurant, first time I'd been there. A woman came and sat down at my booth, and looked at me expectantly. I asked her if I could help her, and she said she was the manager, and had been struggling with purpose in her life, and that although it wasn't clear yet to her, she knew that it was where she belonged. All this, without me talking about myself or explaining what I was struggling with. She left the table, and I never went back to the restaurant again.

The day of my dad's funeral, my mother, siblings and my college girlfriend went to a favorite Chinese restaurant in my home town. At the end of the meal, my mom opened her fortune cookie, turned pale, and said, "oh my God!" She handed me her fortune; it read: "Do not despair; he is well". A few nights before, I was sitting in the bedroom with my girlfriend listening to the rain; she asked me what was the matter, and I said: there's some message in the rain, and it's just for me but I don't know that I want to hear it (or words to that effect). A couple of hours later, the phone rang, and I wouldn't answer it. My father had just died of an unexpected and massive heart attack.

The day JFK died, I was in high school eating lunch in the cafeteria. It was a rainy November day, and I thought it was as though there were a message in the rain, but I couldn't make it out. A short while later, there was an announcement that the president had been shot.

There are probably others, but those are the ones that particularly stick out for me. Are they coincidences? Maybe. But they also have deep meaning to me ... and that's what's important, not the "logic" or "illogic" behind them.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:04 AM

^Interesting, and thank you very much for sharing. I get "messages in the rain", although for me it is often "messages in the wind". Or from birds.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:52 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
It does make you want to scratch your head and wonder what just happened and why.

Open minds may understand it. Some do, some don't.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:32 AM

It was just so strange. I had thought, "I wonder if there is some was I could look up Richard" but I didn't even remember his last name. Then I find his card in the middle of the kitchen floor when I come home from work.

I have cats...

Old 01-28-2016, 08:52 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It was just so strange. I had thought, "I wonder if there is some was I could look up Richard" but I didn't even remember his last name. Then I find his card in the middle of the kitchen floor when I come home from work.

I have cats...
I have cats! Love it!

See? Things happen for a reason!

Old 02-24-2016, 07:39 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Default Give Me a "W"

i find that very interesting, mq. i wonder what happened there?

there was a tiny, flexible letter W by my laptop the other day. i saw it under a small pile of paperclips. i spent far too much time wondering where it had come from and why it was there. maybe it was an M.

later in the day when i looked for it, i couldn't find it. i looked under the little speaker, laptop, mouse pad. it was gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal