U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 01:21 PM

20,795 posts, read 26,089,586 times

Advertisements

Since I was a child, I have experienced nightmares involving home invasions. Sometimes the people start off as guests, but turn sinister and are asked to leave. At other times, it is a full blown home invasion.

When I was 7, I remember Richard Speck invaded a dorm of student nurses, and strangled and killed eight of them. I also remember vividly, the summer when the Manson family began their spree. I was 9 going on ten. Both of those things horrified me, yet fascinated me. I don't recall if that's when they began. But, it's a thought.

Now, many years later, I still have "home invasion" themed nightmares.

While they are disturbing, my main concern is that they are predicting something yet to come.

The strange thing is, that other than my dreams, IRL I am very un-paranoid when it comes to crime. I don't obsess about it. I also believe that we attract what we worry about.
In general, I am not suspicious. I will sit on my porch on a summer night, and read, unafraid of passers by. I told that to a friend who said that she would never do that. I don't live in a dangerous area, and neither does she.

I just mention that to convey how little I think about these things while awake.

Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 01:31 PM

6,232 posts, read 6,812,049 times
Buy a gun, get some firearms training! Peace of mind will follow.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:36 PM

20,795 posts, read 26,089,586 times
No thanks. I have no desire or need to own a gun. The question was about my dreams. If you read my post, I am not a "crime phobic" person.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:49 PM

19,181 posts, read 22,869,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
While they are disturbing, my main concern is that they are predicting something yet to come.
I wouldn't worry about that, unless you've had a long history of your dreams predicting the future. Dreams are mostly just our subconscious spewing.

I have had a recurring dream all my life of a massive wave coming in over a city. The details always vary, but the basic theme is the same. But I'm not seriously worried about the possibility.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:37 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,735,383 times
If there have been many years of having this dream, it is a 'go to' theme that you have developed and is linked to some sort of external intrusion into your psyche. Maybe certain people or situations 'get into your head' and is hard to shake, consciously or subconsciously.
Typically the home in a dream represents ourselves, specific rooms are break downs of our lives even further.
Perhaps next time you have one of these dreams, consider what has occurred reciently that has your mind overly preoccupied and concerned. Likely a situation that you have little control over...to an extent.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:46 PM

19,284 posts, read 25,808,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Since I was a child, I have experienced nightmares involving home invasions. Sometimes the people start off as guests, but turn sinister and are asked to leave. At other times, it is a full blown home invasion.

When I was 7, I remember Richard Speck invaded a dorm of student nurses, and strangled and killed eight of them. I also remember vividly, the summer when the Manson family began their spree. I was 9 going on ten. Both of those things horrified me, yet fascinated me. I don't recall if that's when they began. But, it's a thought.

Now, many years later, I still have "home invasion" themed nightmares.

The strange thing is, that other than my dreams, IRL I am very un-paranoid when it comes to crime. I don't obsess about it. I also believe that we attract what we worry about.
In general, I am not suspicious. I will sit on my porch on a summer night, and read, unafraid of passers by. I told that to a friend who said that she would never do that. I don't live in a dangerous area, and neither does she.

I just mention that to convey how little I think about these things while awake.

Any thoughts?

imo id say it is passive inferences

dreams are the brains method of organizing fragmented/unresolved emotions...

I wouldn't take this as a predictor of something negative to come...

but as a harmless ghost of your past..... dealing with security/possible threats & conflictions

ironically this may surface when some things in your life is going well/ but there's a little voice/concern,,,saying watch out, somethings going to happen, it always does, a crisis will happen at anytime,,,so brace yourseld-be prepared

or

my god, if you watch the news....its all bad...some things are concerning you and you worry...and some of that worry brings up old unresolved emotions.

be still your mind what you have no control over...

Old 02-02-2016, 09:21 PM

29,145 posts, read 28,175,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I wouldn't worry about that, unless you've had a long history of your dreams predicting the future. Dreams are mostly just our subconscious spewing.

I have had a recurring dream all my life of a massive wave coming in over a city. The details always vary, but the basic theme is the same. But I'm not seriously worried about the possibility.
I had the massive wave dream for years in my teens and twenties. Run! Like that was going to help.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:06 AM

19,284 posts, read 25,808,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I had the massive wave dream for years in my teens and twenties. Run! Like that was going to help.
what was the movie,,, the comet was coming to hit the earth,,,,they went up and tried to land on it and blow it up...a team of drillers..??

then the president ...think it was morgan freeman..said they would get hit and a tidal wave would sweep west across the country

big big wave!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2016, 07:31 AM

19,181 posts, read 22,869,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
what was the movie,,, the comet was coming to hit the earth,,,,they went up and tried to land on it and blow it up...a team of drillers..??

then the president ...think it was morgan freeman..said they would get hit and a tidal wave would sweep west across the country

big big wave!!!!!!!
It was either ARMAGEDDON or DEEP IMPACT. I can't remember which. They're both basically the same movie.

The dream of "Deluge" is actually recurrent for a lot of people. Jung probably would have had a field day with it. J.R.R. Tolkien suffered the same dream throughout his life. So at least I'm in good company.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:23 AM

5,720 posts, read 5,911,142 times
You've brought to mind the scene in "An American Werewolf In London" where the main character has a nightmare of his family's home being invaded by monsters in Nazi SS uniforms who machine-gun his family and set the house on fire while one of them holds a knife to his throat and forces him to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal