U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:53 PM

6,284 posts, read 5,526,104 times

Advertisements

Next time keep you camera handy, most every one has one on there phone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 03:19 PM

501 posts, read 910,704 times
As a kid I lived near a major airport. One day me and several other people saw what looked like a light hovering midair. We watched for several minuets and it never moved. We were all trying to figure out what it was. All of a sudden it started moving to our right, it was then we realized it was in fact an airplane. It was flying directly at us with it's landing light on. The light made it look as if it was just hovering in one place.

I'm not saying that is what you saw but could have been a similar illusion.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:58 PM

4,479 posts, read 2,046,895 times
Default Penny to Sky King, ...

Or a gyrocopter - especially if it's homebuilt, from a kit. You should see a mast with what looks like a helicopter blade spinning @ speed @ the top of the mast. The horizontal blade can be free spinning, driven by the 'copter's forward motion through the air - so you might not hear any motor noise @ all. There should be a pusher or puller prop, for forward motion. That would have a motor.

The V-22 is military, & functions as a kind of airplane/helicopter - the main wing & attached turboprops pivot from horizontal to vertical to direct lift/motive force either up or horizontally, as the pilot chooses. It's a big plane, & you'd surely notice the wing/motors tilting. Gyrocopters can be as small as a single person, or even smaller if it's a RC device. Yellow seems to be a traditional color for gyrocopters, I'd go with that.

If you see it again, try to get a picture you can post here. Then you'll probably get a good ID on it.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:09 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,181,438 times
I used to fly R/C planes and they always advise to take off into the wind rather than with the wind, otherwise it could stall. Instinctively, it sounds bass-ackwards because you expect a good tailwind to help them accelerate, right? But aerodynamics are relative to the surrounding air and not the ground. So yes it's possible to hover and still be flying above stall speed.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:14 PM

5,790 posts, read 4,505,844 times
By the way, you see birds doing this too when there's a strong wind

Old 02-04-2016, 04:18 PM

15,511 posts, read 14,612,078 times
Another pilot here. When your air speed matches a head wind speed. You are stationary for all pratical purposes. then if you turn or the wind changes direction you will find yourself moving sideways.

I found a video of what it looks like from inside the plane

Old 02-04-2016, 09:46 PM

5,290 posts, read 4,215,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I saw this last Friday while out in the parking lot of my apartments. There was a service technician standing with me as another witness. We could not believe what we were seeing!

Went on-line and found that others had seen planes stop in mid-flight and been just as baffled.

How about you? Ever seen this? Any thoughts about it?
Yes, I saw an F22 Raptor do this at the SeaFair show (Seattle) last summer. I had no idea an F22 Raptor, a fighter that can also go high-supersonic, could actually hover. Hover it did, at a forward angle, then it blasted off in another direction. Several times, in front of 10,000 or so spectators.

God knows what else modern aircraft can do, nor would the military want us to know, nor should they. Doesn't exactly address what OP saw, but since I've seen it too now in a jet fighter I'm not surprised.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:11 AM

8,696 posts, read 7,907,966 times
Drone plane can do that , I have seen them fly right over a traffic stop which cars driving around

Old 02-05-2016, 04:17 AM

44,257 posts, read 56,951,405 times
Flying into heavy wind, it might not look like it was moving forward much.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:12 AM

12,978 posts, read 10,143,307 times
Ospreys & Harriers hover and it's the most unnatural looking thing in the world, coming from a jet community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal