U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:31 PM

5,879 posts, read 4,087,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I saw this last Friday while out in the parking lot of my apartments. There was a service technician standing with me as another witness. We could not believe what we were seeing!

It was an airplane hovering, not moving forward at all! We watched it for about 5 minutes and then it started very, very slowly to move sideways. The movement was almost imperceptible.

This was NOT an "optical illusion". We had rooftops and trees as points of reference and this plane was absolutely at a dead stop for 5 minutes or more.

Our expectation was that it was going to crash at any moment. I mean, how could a small aircraft just stay up in the air while not moving?

The plane looked like one of those old-fashioned propeller crop dusters with the wide, rounded wings. I did not see propellers, but it sounded like a prop plane. The color was a deep orange/tan color. I saw no lettering or markings of any kind on it.

As it slowly began to move sideways it moved into the glare of the sun and we lost sight of it.

I was baffled and somewhat freaked out. I checked the local news later to see if a plane had crashed in my area.

Went on-line and found that others had seen planes stop in mid-flight and been just as baffled.

How about you? Ever seen this? Any thoughts about it?
I have never seen that, but I have seen a bird do the same thing...Flapping like mad, but going nowhere as the wind blocked the progression due to the speed.....(This was in 4th grade, was looking out the window atm) Never forgot that moment....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 05:32 PM

5,879 posts, read 4,087,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
By the way, you see birds doing this too when there's a strong wind
Wish I would read all responses before putting in mine

Old 02-05-2016, 05:37 PM

6,232 posts, read 6,882,173 times
These planes do hover! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Boeing_V-22_Osprey

Old 02-05-2016, 08:05 PM

5,648 posts, read 3,670,282 times
Quote:
I saw this last Friday while out in the parking lot of my apartments. There was a service technician standing with me as another witness. We could not believe what we were seeing!

It was an airplane hovering, not moving forward at all! We watched it for about 5 minutes and then it started very, very slowly to move sideways. The movement was almost imperceptible.

This was NOT an "optical illusion". We had rooftops and trees as points of reference and this plane was absolutely at a dead stop for 5 minutes or more.

Our expectation was that it was going to crash at any moment. I mean, how could a small aircraft just stay up in the air while not moving?

The plane looked like one of those old-fashioned propeller crop dusters with the wide, rounded wings. I did not see propellers, but it sounded like a prop plane. The color was a deep orange/tan color. I saw no lettering or markings of any kind on it.

As it slowly began to move sideways it moved into the glare of the sun and we lost sight of it.

I was baffled and somewhat freaked out. I checked the local news later to see if a plane had crashed in my area.

Went on-line and found that others had seen planes stop in mid-flight and been just as baffled.

It was aliens.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:20 PM

7,162 posts, read 3,583,661 times
Quote:

Yes I've seen that. It was moving straight towards me so it's forward motion was imperceptible.
It was real close too, since it was coming in to land.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:47 PM

6,419 posts, read 5,796,982 times
There are VTOL craft in my area all the time. They are designed to hover in one place and they are not helicopters... well, not exactly. The Osprey: Half-airplane, half-helicopter, totally badass | New York Post

Old 02-06-2016, 06:43 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,232,206 times
Only one explanation: The ghost of Sasquatch piloting a time machine in search of "Nessie".

Old 02-07-2016, 07:16 AM

3,181 posts, read 3,924,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Only one explanation: The ghost of Sasquatch piloting a time machine in search of "Nessie".
Of course! Why didn't I think of that?

Old 02-07-2016, 08:44 AM

15,511 posts, read 14,694,298 times
Quote:
Of course! Why didn't I think of that?
I think we all have a tendency to overlook the obvious.

There was the answer right in front of us and we couldn't see it

Old 02-11-2016, 08:42 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,896,105 times
Quote:

The moment you said "a small, crop duster type plane" this started to make a lot of sense. These planes have very low stall speed so a strong headwind can make them go so slow as to appear hovering, or sometimes just literally go backwards. Of course this means the pilot was likely doing it intentionally, as they should be able to accelerate if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal