U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:23 PM

4,519 posts, read 4,011,159 times

Advertisements

However, it is perfectly possible that the military would try to put their 'new' alternative technology engines into other craft to find out if they work. Being near a military base might mean they are trying this out.

OK, in this example it may well be normal aircraft fighting a strong headwind, but I can imagine the military would want to try out their toys in other unconventional situations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 08:51 AM

5,779 posts, read 4,494,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
However, it is perfectly possible that the military would try to put their 'new' alternative technology engines into other craft to find out if they work. Being near a military base might mean they are trying this out.

OK, in this example it may well be normal aircraft fighting a strong headwind, but I can imagine the military would want to try out their toys in other unconventional situations.
An osprey (plane) and an osprey (bird) hovering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxNNShxrLNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwVZ0wihExk

Old 03-07-2016, 03:23 AM

1,484 posts, read 729,070 times
You should be in L.A. So many planes come in to LAX that some need to wait for permission to land. I see them all the time hovering just east of the 710. Whenever I took a flight into LAX we had to wait our turn to land. The plane hovered for a good 10 minutes before beginning approach to land.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:44 AM

5,720 posts, read 5,906,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Only one explanation: The ghost of Sasquatch piloting a time machine in search of "Nessie".
With Elvis in the co-pilot seat?

Old 03-07-2016, 11:54 AM

5,578 posts, read 12,001,304 times
I fly low speed Ultra Lights which have an average speed of about 30 mph ...
Imagine flying into a 25 mph wind, which often can occur at some altitudes.

That makes me fly around 5 mph - ground speed.

One thing here is that if I am 20 feet above ground, you can definitively see me fly at 5 mph.
But ...
When I am at 500 feet above ground you can barely see me move.

You can have a similar experience about thinking how fast something flies or moves when you fly commercially at 30,000 feet. Look at the ground and you barely see the ground move.
When you take off in a commercial plane, the ground moves really fast while still on the ground !
Once it leaves the ground, then the ground seems to slow down !!

I can legally (with my UltraLight) fly at 10,000 above sea level.
Once I do that, you have the feeling I am not moving at all !!

On the other hand, when I have a passenger and we fly at 500 feet, my passenger thinks we fly very slow.
It does not look as fast as 30 mile an hour.
So I tell the passenger to look at the shadow of our UltraLight on the ground.
You can really *see* it move at a considerable speed ...

Last but not least, if you are not used to looking at things in the air, it is hard to figure how high things are above you !
So to the OP, I would say, that plane might have probably flying at some very low ground speed, thus not really *hovering*. Altho it could have been really *hovering*.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:36 PM

4,470 posts, read 1,708,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I saw this last Friday while out in the parking lot of my apartments. There was a service technician standing with me as another witness. We could not believe what we were seeing!

It was an airplane hovering, not moving forward at all! We watched it for about 5 minutes and then it started very, very slowly to move sideways. The movement was almost imperceptible.

This was NOT an "optical illusion". We had rooftops and trees as points of reference and this plane was absolutely at a dead stop for 5 minutes or more.

Our expectation was that it was going to crash at any moment. I mean, how could a small aircraft just stay up in the air while not moving?

The plane looked like one of those old-fashioned propeller crop dusters with the wide, rounded wings. I did not see propellers, but it sounded like a prop plane. The color was a deep orange/tan color. I saw no lettering or markings of any kind on it.

As it slowly began to move sideways it moved into the glare of the sun and we lost sight of it.

I was baffled and somewhat freaked out. I checked the local news later to see if a plane had crashed in my area.

Went on-line and found that others had seen planes stop in mid-flight and been just as baffled.

How about you? Ever seen this? Any thoughts about it?
British Harrier jets have the ability to hover. But what you observed was probably a plane flying in your direction. The effect of this can make it seem as though the plane is hovering in mid air. Bi-wing aircraft are still used specifically for their ability to fly at very low speeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal