U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 05:39 PM

2,763 posts, read 3,022,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I see this metal detecting being done on the beaches out here, People looking for valuables dropped. Usually jewelry. The Pine Barrens is supposedly home to the Jersey Devil. What else weird has been found out there?
There are old towns, some of which still partially exist- Ong's Hat, Friendship, Harrisville, Aserdaten. Aserdaten is the premier mystery town of the pines. I've found it before, or at least I think so. Its quite a ways in and you need a good 4wd truck to get through narrow sugar sand paths. A few trees in a bunch that are clearly ornamental trees exactly where old maps put the town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 10:19 PM

4,531 posts, read 4,025,295 times
If you want weird....then,

Much cheaper and more interesting is getting into dowsing and learning to use a pendulum. If you dont get on with a pendulum, then a forked stick or cross L wires are also good for starters.

You can find out so much more than with an electronic device and can carry a pendulum around anywhere.

Most people can learn to dowse and it is not just for water either.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:39 PM

12,445 posts, read 12,356,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
...Most people can learn to dowse and it is not just for water either.
Actual results are never any better than random chance.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:45 PM

29,166 posts, read 28,211,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I see this metal detecting being done on the beaches out here, People looking for valuables dropped. Usually jewelry. The Pine Barrens is supposedly home to the Jersey Devil. What else weird has been found out there?
all sorts of things! there are remnants of old towns, and those which have vanished. there was trade along the small rivers from the delaware river, bays and ocean. there was quite a bit of revolutionary war activity down there, too, including piracy. greenwich was a major port.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:55 PM

29,166 posts, read 28,211,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
There are old towns, some of which still partially exist- Ong's Hat, Friendship, Harrisville, Aserdaten. Aserdaten is the premier mystery town of the pines. I've found it before, or at least I think so. Its quite a ways in and you need a good 4wd truck to get through narrow sugar sand paths. A few trees in a bunch that are clearly ornamental trees exactly where old maps put the town.
the slab of the old gun club is the approximate site.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:41 PM

969 posts, read 803,244 times
Old farms around trees next to old fields. Found some neat items. Coins mainly

Old 02-22-2016, 02:04 AM

4,531 posts, read 4,025,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Actual results are never any better than random chance.
Yeah, well... whatever.

Does your viewpoint come from a religious understanding or a scientific understanding I wonder?

Dowsing has been around for many centuries and used by many different cultures. Why would they use something which does not work? Some animals such as elephants can detect water many miles from their current location, is that by smell? Elephants are not known for their good sense of smell like dogs are.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Old 02-22-2016, 12:38 PM

3,828 posts, read 2,999,598 times
The only metal detecting that I find interesting are the youtube videos of people finding WW2 relics.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:28 AM

10,074 posts, read 12,366,783 times
There are people who earn a living using metal detectors to find gold. The best detectors run as high as 10k, but the one described here is under eight hundred. It has an excellent reputation.

Jeff Wiliams may act a bit nutty, but he knows his stuff. His productions are entertaining as well.

He once made a video on dowsing which I've posted. However, he doesn't seem to give it much credit for finding gold in the first video here. When I lived in SW Wyoming I learned that almost everyone there hires a dowser before drilling a well. I read an article in the ''Wall Street Journal'' once about dowsing for water. The author stated that dowsing shouldn't work, but it does.

Take a look at these two videos. If you wish to learn more, you find a plentitude just on youtube.

There's no doubt that gold attracts people in a manner that's positively mystical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hLV9nJy5fs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq0bfctqV6Q

Old 03-03-2016, 12:41 AM

20,816 posts, read 26,115,357 times
It's a fun hobby for people who like adventure, the out doors, and history. Many people who are interested in metal detecting seem to also have an interest in the paranormal. Just an observation.

I don't think anyone does it to make money. It's interesting and relaxing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal