U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 04:43 PM

5,784 posts, read 4,499,383 times

Advertisements

This is a new one to me:

The Shell Grotto, Margate

A minor mystery -- discovered in 1835, and most likely an example of an 18th century "folly". Here's the Wikipedia entry on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_Grotto,_Margate

I'm glad they're making efforts to preserve it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 07:03 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,819,448 times
Very nice. For some of the mortar to be a Roman type, and given the arch style doorways and other symbols, perhaps it was a place for druids to still congregate with the opposition of imposing Christianity forcing them underground. Maybe the secret was kept by the whole town because the temple served the whole town, and it was only a secret from any outside forces.

Perhaps it was a place to enshrine a loves ones bones or ashes that have long sense dissipated due to the elements.

Perhaps its was a relatively elegant place for a rich man's trysts, or a secret social society to gather.

Its sort of amazing their are no tell-tale artifacts around it to provide clues.

At any rate, it does look worth preserving.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:00 PM

2,167 posts, read 1,192,860 times
Interesting! Thanks for the link, I love stuff like this.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:04 PM

29,145 posts, read 28,175,026 times
very interesting. i've never heard of it.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:15 AM

19,179 posts, read 22,869,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
perhaps it was a place for druids to still congregate with the opposition of imposing Christianity forcing them underground.

It was the pre-Christian Roman Empire who persecuted the druids, because they suspected (and rightly so) that the druids were stirring up insurrection against the Romans. The big excuse Rome used to invade Britain was that the British religious leaders were stirring up the Gauls against Rome. The real reason was likely plunder, but the British insurrectionist accusation wasn't without merit.

Once Rome fell, there was very little real conflict between Christians and druids. It got kind of nasty in Scotland at times, but in Ireland (which was never Roman) the Christian monks and druids actually got along quite well. The druids' conversion wasn't one of imposition or persecution. It was fairly amicable because they saw so much of their own beliefs reflected in Christianity.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:02 PM

510 posts, read 393,259 times
Judging by the pictures these people had to have a decent understanding of math and architecture to make this, so I am going to automatically rule out any ancient peoples who were in hiding, no way would they use so much man-power to build this, it would simply draw too much attention.

However a quick google search brought up another shell grotto in the UK which was built in the 1700's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_Grotto,_Pontypool
This one looks very similar to the Margate one, so I am willing to bet its construction took place around the same time. Its a cool building and you can see how the wealthy of the era spent their money.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:24 PM

5,784 posts, read 4,499,383 times
Examples of shell houses and other buildings from around the world (I especially like the one from Denmark):

Seaside Style: Casa Concha { Sea Shell Houses }

For those who enjoy these things as much as I do, this Wikipedia has a list of follies in Europe, the United States, and elsewhere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal