U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:52 AM

4,374 posts, read 3,828,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
I don't remember the Mandela incident. There are a lot of quotes from movies that have 'changed' that could be because the lines have always been misquoted by other sources. Some things I cannot swear to but some people have watched these movies dozens of times, and now they are different? It isn't just one person who is experiencing these changes, it is many.

In the movie Field of Dreams, I know for a fact that it was "If you build it they will come" That was the whole premise of the movie. I also know that Eli Whitney was famous for inventing the cotton gin because he was black. Otherwise who would care. He was a noted achiever because he was black. Now he is white? These things don't add up.

I know it is easy to alter memories, but that is also 'supernatural'.....I have no conclusions about why this is happening but it is 'a thing'.

There are false mandela claims that a single person could misremember. It has to be something that is in the collective consciousness of many, and a change is noted by many.
I think you might be confusing Eli Whitney with George Washington Carver, the guy who came up with hundreds of uses for peanuts. He was black.

I never heard anyone refer to Eli Whitney as black.

The car logo thing is pretty easy to disprove, especially since I belong to a vintage car club. I can easily see actual Fords and VW's from years ago and compare with newer models. Also many photos and books exist showing these cars from all angles. Many old magazines and newspapers also have full page ads for these cars with logos in the ads.

The Jif/Jiffy peanut butter thing is also easy to prove with old magazines. I think people remember it as Jiffy because it's so similar to Skippy, which is also a popular peanut butter. And then there is Jiffy Pop popcorn. Easy for all of these to get jumbled in memory.

It's simply people mis-remembering things, and then when someone brings it up the power of suggestion makes you think you remember it that way too.

I've done this before...just the other day Fats Domino died and I said "I thought he died a long time ago". For years I thought the Rod Steiger quote from "Jaws" was "I think we're going to need a bigger boat", but I just watched it again for the first time in years and it's really "You're going to need a bigger boat".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 10:02 AM

7,962 posts, read 4,899,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
I don't remember the Mandela incident. There are a lot of quotes from movies that have 'changed' that could be because the lines have always been misquoted by other sources.<>

In the movie Field of Dreams, I know for a fact that it was "If you build it they will come"

I also know that Eli Whitney was famous for inventing the cotton gin because he was black.
<>
Old news, maybe . . .
Field of Dreams (1989) - IMDb
Iowa farmer Ray Kinsella hears a voice in his corn field tell him, "If you build it, he will come."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli_Whitney

I know there is a lot of stuff that I think I know that just isn't true. But your two cites are wrong.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:03 AM

The Mirror, mirror/ Magic Mirror confusion is also solved by the fact that many people learned the Snow White story as a translation of the original Grimm's Fairy tales, while others heard it first in the Disney cartoon. The original Grimm's story, written in the early 1800's, used the words "Mirror, mirror on the wall", while the Disney version used the words "Magic mirror", so it's easy to see how the confusion came about. If you remember a parent reading it to you as "Mirror, mirror", the change to "Magic mirror" in the cartoon probably went by unnoticed. But now when you actually listen to the cartoon, thinking about this controversy, and you hear "Magic Mirror", you think that it's been changed. It has, but it was changed by Walt Disney when he made the movie, not years later.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I think you might be confusing Eli Whitney with George Washington Carver, the guy who came up with hundreds of uses for peanuts. He was black.

<>
For years I thought the Rod Steiger quote from "Jaws" was "I think we're going to need a bigger boat", but I just watched it again for the first time in years and it's really "You're going to need a bigger boat".
Brody: You're gonna need a bigger boat.
Roy Scheider
Rod Steiger wasn't in the movie. Maybe you were thinking of Robert Shaw?

As for Eli Whitney, the inventor of interchangeable parts:
Eli Whitney, inventor of the cotton gin, wasn't black. But here's why so many people think he was.

Well, maybe there is some kind of time warp thing going on here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkplPbd2f60

Old 10-29-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Brody: You're gonna need a bigger boat.
Roy Scheider
Rod Steiger wasn't in the movie. Maybe you were thinking of Robert Shaw?
Ha ha, you're right I meant Roy Sheider! Thank you....

Old 10-29-2017, 12:11 PM

48,235 posts, read 48,040,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

The car logo thing is pretty easy to disprove, especially since I belong to a vintage car club. I can easily see actual Fords and VW's from years ago and compare with newer models. Also many photos and books exist showing these cars from all angles. Many old magazines and newspapers also have full page ads for these cars with logos in the ads.

The Jif/Jiffy peanut butter thing is also easy to prove with old magazines. I think people remember it as Jiffy because it's so similar to Skippy, which is also a popular peanut butter. And then there is Jiffy Pop popcorn. Easy for all of these to get jumbled in memory.

It's simply people mis-remembering things, and then when someone brings it up the power of suggestion makes you think you remember it that way too.

I've done this before...just the other day Fats Domino died and I said "I thought he died a long time ago". For years I thought the Rod Steiger quote from "Jaws" was "I think we're going to need a bigger boat", but I just watched it again for the first time in years and it's really "You're going to need a bigger boat".
HA!

(Rob Schneider was the actor who said it. Rod Steiger wasn't even in the movie. See? See? )

Old 10-29-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
HA!
(Rob Schneider was the actor who said it. Rod Steiger wasn't even in the movie. See? See? )
Beat you to it and I got the spelling right.
So, class what was Rod Steiger's best quoteable line?

Old 10-29-2017, 04:42 PM

4,662 posts, read 3,613,651 times
I liked Eli Whitney when he played Tuco in The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.
Didn't know he invented the cotton gin.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I liked Eli Whitney when he played Tuco in The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.
Didn't know he invented the cotton gin.
Have you seen the movie about his career as an author, "The Book of Eli"?
A black man plays the lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal