Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:05 AM

1,858 posts, read 1,635,268 times

Advertisements

Nothing I have ever heard anyone describe as being "ironic" was actually an example of "irony".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 05:38 PM

997 posts, read 929,503 times
Thanks for supporting me on the 'Eli Whitney was black' theme. I never would have heard of him, except he was a notable black person.

George Washington Carver was the peanut guy, and I read a book about him when I was a kid. The only reason he was famous was because he was black and he did something remarkable with peanuts. Eli, did something remarkable with cotton. Otherwise they would not have been lumped together in the famous black person category. That is the only reason why he was notable to me. I have always found Cotton Gins to be extremely uninteresting and not a matter of concern.

This was an ancient memory of what was so. I didn't care about it, but it was filed away under 'famous black people'...

If that was a mistake, it was not only me who made it. That is the whole point of the Mandela effect. It isn't just a single person here and there with a strong collective memory of a fact or an event. There are many people who insist on a history that is not consistent with the current reality. There is agreement about the history that is not current.

My memories are consistent with the old way for most things but I wouldn't put money on anything, not even Eli. I didn't read his biography and he wasn't important enough in my world for me to care about. I only knew 2 facts about him, and now 50% of those facts have been rewritten.

I insist he was black at one time, another poster states that he has always been white. That is the Mandela Effect. In my reality, he was black, but in his, he has always been white and that is verifiable. Proving me wrong is easy to do, but we are discussing a matter of perception, not a matter of fact.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:07 PM

72 posts, read 55,225 times
It is a difficult thing to explain it to people who hasn't experienced this. I don't know about all the stuff on the list but I am positive Billy Graham died in 1990s. At the time I was a big Clinton follower and got interested in Billy Graham because he was close to Clinton. I am not Christian but I liked listening to him and closely followed his career. In any case, I am positive he died sometime in late 90s. There was a state funeral for him and Clinton gave a speech in funeral. I watched the whole thing on TV. Early 2000, I left the US to work for federal government overseas and was out for 4 years. Sometime around 2007, I came back to the U.S. and his wife passed away in 2007. During this time period, I was shocked to learn Billy Graham is still alive. Then I got more shocked when I searched his name and came up with bunch of other people claiming to remember his death in 90s. I am not sure how to explain or make sense of this. I am a very logical person and I am sure there is a reason for my memory but I haven't been able to find it yet. We know very little about nature of reality and it is possible parallel universes exist. Perhaps, some of us retain memories from other universes.

PS. I also always thought Eli Whitney was a black inventor too.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:30 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,658,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
There is a new contribution to the Mandela Effect list that can't just be explained away as bad memory.

In the James Bond movie "Moonraker" Richard Keil plays the henchman Jaws, named so because of his super strong metallic teeth. There is a scene in "Moonraker" where Jaws tries to kill Bond in a tram going down a mountain. Bond escapes, the tram crashes, and a woman helps Jaws out of the rubble. Jaws smiles at the woman revealing his metal teeth, and the woman smiles revealing a mouthful of braces. Instant love!

If you saw the movie in the theater or even on tv, you remember the scene. Guess what? Her braces are now gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj1lTyy-HxE
Holy crap. Was that her only appearance? Wasnt he a good guy later and helped James along with his girlfriend?

I swore she had braces too. I mean that was the whole point of the gag and what made her attractive to him...right? This thread is freaking me out.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:03 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,134,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Holy crap. Was that her only appearance? Wasnt he a good guy later and helped James along with his girlfriend?

I swore she had braces too. I mean that was the whole point of the gag and what made her attractive to him...right? This thread is freaking me out.
Something like that is easily edited out, especially if the print is cleaned up for digitizing. Someone not in on the joke, a higher up being stupid could easily demand that come out -- cute girls don't have braces -- and out they come.

I can remember watching a television showing of Showboat, and the idiot tv station cut it for time. They cut out OLD MAN RIVER....the only song people remember from Showboat.

I think that guy got fired, my late brother in law worked there....

Old 12-04-2016, 12:04 PM

That is true. There could be a logical explanation for that one.

The thing about the Mandela effect that makes it odd, is that every person who has a VHS tape in their garage of that movie could rewatch the movie and the braces would be gone.

It rewrites history. If it was an edit from the distributors at a later date, that would not be a Mandela effect incident.

If the explanation is logical, there is no problem, or question....It is a good example of a possible Mandela effect that could be investigated further.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Something like that is easily edited out, especially if the print is cleaned up for digitizing. Someone not in on the joke, a higher up being stupid could easily demand that come out -- cute girls don't have braces -- and out they come.

I can remember watching a television showing of Showboat, and the idiot tv station cut it for time. They cut out OLD MAN RIVER....the only song people remember from Showboat.

I think that guy got fired, my late brother in law worked there....
I think it was 50 first dates with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore where during the trailer the heavy set Hawaiian woman comes to the door holding a shotgun but it was edited out of the previews. I cant find one on youtube that shows it but maybe somone else remembers that.

Still to edit something out like that that was crucial to the plot like that woman's braces seems...odd.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:25 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,410,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Moonraker was released in 1979, so I imagine the VHS came out a few years later. I am almost 100% sure they did not have the digital technology to seamlessly remove braces and replace them with perfect teeth in the early 1980s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka
The thing about the Mandela effect that makes it odd, is that every person who has a VHS tape in their garage of that movie could rewatch the movie and the braces would be gone. It rewrites history. If it was an edit from the distributors at a later date, that would not be a Mandela effect incident.
Exactly. And here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3j-4TxCdFI

Old 12-07-2016, 01:18 AM

Good job Moonbeam...That is a good example, and one I hadn't heard of. I never watched that movie but the no/braces doesn't make sense. Especially with that big dramatic smiling moment.

That would be a memorable scene.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:19 PM

So Im just supposed to believe he fell in love with her...just because she wasnt scared of him...just because she seems pretty strong and was able to (help him) lift the gear wheel off of him? And the fact that shes hot...

Seems like theres an artifact left behind where they might have edited out the sparkle.

Sigh. Probably have to find a network airing to be sure. I think it was TBS that used to show all the old Bond movies back in the day.

Last edited by Tourian; 12-07-2016 at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal