U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:58 PM

125 posts, read 86,116 times

Advertisements

Definition from Mandela Effect reddit:
"The phenomenon where a group of people discover that a global fact - one they feel they know to be true and have specific personal memories for - has apparently changed in the world around them."

There is quite a number of people online that claim that things changed. What they knew is changed and no longer exists exactly how they remembered it.

Some common Mandela Effect phenomenon are:

The Berenstein Bears/The Berenstain Bears

South America shifted further east

Febreeze/Febreze

Fruit Loops/Froot Loops

Looney Toons/Looney Tunes

Some say the Ford logo changed, the curly looking thing on the F being new.

Some say the Volkswagen logo changed, the V and W now separate, while they used to be merged.

"Luke, I am your father."/"No, I am your father."

"If you build it, they will come."/"If you build it, he will come."

"Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?"/"Magic mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?"

Some possible explanations are shifts between parallel universes, glitches in the matrix/simulation, top secret quantum computer changing reality, CERN, a time traveller changing the past, etc. The most simple is basically faulty human memory.

I am just curious about what you think of this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 08:59 PM

12,448 posts, read 9,644,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato2 View Post
...I am just curious about what you think of this topic?
People just ignore the details of mundane things. I mean, look at all of the "misheard" song lyrics posted in forums here. Do you really want to attribute incorrect interpretations and false memories to jumping between "parallel universes?"

Old 07-15-2016, 12:40 AM

2,420 posts, read 2,797,134 times
If you are interested, there are some threads on time slips and "dead" celebrities who are not really dead. Does that cover the same kind of area?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:51 AM

3,764 posts, read 3,031,007 times
We like to think of our memories as being like hard drives: once something's written in there, it stays in there. In reality, memory is labile; we're constantly rewriting things and making new connections (that's what appears to be happening during REM and dreaming: memories are being reprocessed to integrate them into our knowledge). Further, if person X misrecalls something and insists on the erroneous version, we're more inclined to fiddle our memories to incorporate the misinformation.

That is, if someone says the Ford logo changed, we file this claim away. We have a certain level of doubt as a result about the nature of the Ford logo. We tell someone else, and it snowballs (the reason is likely that there is survival value in that information: someone sees a shadow in the next valley and says it kind of looked like a saber-toothed tiger, so there's a non-zero probability that there's a saber-toothed tiger in the next valley and survival value in buying into the warning). People report this on the internet, and it becomes a meme. It's like the game of telephone some of us played when we were kids. Then the tin foil hat crowd gets hold of it and all of a sudden, you've got time slip and alternate reality claims floating around.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:49 PM

997 posts, read 468,058 times
This is the first time I have heard of this. It is weird. I am not a stranger to the idea of going back in time and making an adjustment. I haven't heard of it demonstrated this way before.

I most certainly remember Berenstein Bears...A few others on that list are positively the first choice. I am going to have to look into this because it is new to me.

Thank you.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:42 PM

2,420 posts, read 2,797,134 times
There have also been witnesses recounting time loss while driving etc. whicjh could be similar but on an individual basis rather than a group or race basis. They just find themselves somewhere else and a documented one (by the arriving airport control) of a pilot who flew far further than should be possible given the conditions (wind speed etc) and the amount of fuel he was able to carry. Of course, I dont remember the details now, just that I saw it on a tv program - one of those woo ones, you know the ones I mean...

This is generally attributed to alien abductions, but then you probably dont want to go down that rabbit hole. We dont believe those kind of un-provable, undocumented stories on this forum do we boys?

Old 10-08-2016, 11:44 PM

145 posts, read 334,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
People just ignore the details of mundane things. I mean, look at all of the "misheard" song lyrics posted in forums here. Do you really want to attribute incorrect interpretations and false memories to jumping between "parallel universes?"
Agreed. I remember the Berenstain Bears with an A, for example. I wondered why it was Ain and not Ein, because Ein made more sense to my 7-year old mind.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:54 PM

69,117 posts, read 60,254,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato2 View Post
Definition from Mandela Effect reddit:
"The phenomenon where a group of people discover that a global fact - one they feel they know to be true and have specific personal memories for - has apparently changed in the world around them."

There is quite a number of people online that claim that things changed. What they knew is changed and no longer exists exactly how they remembered it.

Some common Mandela Effect phenomenon are:

The Berenstein Bears/The Berenstain Bears

South America shifted further east

Febreeze/Febreze

Fruit Loops/Froot Loops

Looney Toons/Looney Tunes

Some say the Ford logo changed, the curly looking thing on the F being new.

Some say the Volkswagen logo changed, the V and W now separate, while they used to be merged.

"Luke, I am your father."/"No, I am your father."

"If you build it, they will come."/"If you build it, he will come."

"Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?"/"Magic mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?"

Some possible explanations are shifts between parallel universes, glitches in the matrix/simulation, top secret quantum computer changing reality, CERN, a time traveller changing the past, etc. The most simple is basically faulty human memory.

I am just curious about what you think of this topic?
These aren't examples of the Mandela Effect. The prime example is Mandela himself: apparently some people thought he'd died in prison, which is weird, if you ask me. Then they were surprised that he got out and suddenly turned up as the first President of S.A. I think if some people thought he'd died in prison, they simply weren't paying attention.

It has nothing to do with matrices, parallel universes, or quantum anything. CERN? That's laughable. Somebody obviously has no idea what CERN is. Oh well. Anyway, it's more about historical events; people thinking a celebrity died, then s/he turns up again a few years later. All it means is that they weren't tracking that particular celebrity, and forgot about them, then were surprised to see him or her turn up in the news again.

Believe me, plenty of people WERE tracking news of Mandela, greeted his release from prison with celebration, and celebrated again, of course, when he got the Nobel Prize (with deKlerk) and was elected President. There were multiple news items about him while he was in prison, too; reports on how he was treated there, how he organized with some of the other inmates, his spiritual transformation, and so forth. He never stopped being in the news, really; he just fell off some people's radar, that's all.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:48 PM

997 posts, read 468,058 times
I don't remember the Mandela incident. There are a lot of quotes from movies that have 'changed' that could be because the lines have always been misquoted by other sources. Some things I cannot swear to but some people have watched these movies dozens of times, and now they are different? It isn't just one person who is experiencing these changes, it is many.

In the movie Field of Dreams, I know for a fact that it was "If you build it they will come" That was the whole premise of the movie. I also know that Eli Whitney was famous for inventing the cotton gin because he was black. Otherwise who would care. He was a noted achiever because he was black. Now he is white? These things don't add up.

I know it is easy to alter memories, but that is also 'supernatural'.....I have no conclusions about why this is happening but it is 'a thing'.

There are false mandela claims that a single person could misremember. It has to be something that is in the collective consciousness of many, and a change is noted by many.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:15 AM

12,448 posts, read 9,644,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
...In the movie Field of Dreams, I know for a fact that it was "If you build it they will come" That was the whole premise of the movie...
LOL - you missed the plot entirely!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal